Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New Phase One camera body  (Read 26186 times)

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
New Phase One camera body
« on: March 05, 2008, 05:56:40 am »

At the conclusion Michael's Sydney talk the Danish head of Phase One (sorry name forgotten) gave a short spiel. One thing he did specifically mention was that there will be a Phase One body, based on the 645 Mamiya AFD II formally announced in two weeks time. No details on just what is different from the AFD II.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 05:57:09 am by phila »

jonstewart

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 09:00:58 am »

Heard this also from Phase reps at Focus a week ago. Likewise, no detail.
J
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 09:01:18 am by jonstewart »
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 09:19:18 am »

Could I respectfully suggest that no more threads are created on this topic until there is an official release?

samuel_js

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 11:08:52 am »

I'm starting to think this camera won't be anything special. That's why I'm considering the Hy6 (it was my first option a year ago...). I'm feeling this Phase One "keep all secret" thing very uncomfortable too. I'm a PO user and I've been interested in this camera since the first rumors about 6 months ago. None from Phase One (or dealer) ever gave me a least a picture or specs about it. The camera would be announced after the New Year. Not a single word yet. Ans sincerely I'm starting to lose my interest in it and seriously considering  a Rollei or Sinar Hy6 even if I'll probably start with film.
Very disappointing from PO.  

amsp

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 11:35:02 am »

I agree that the lack of communication is quite annoying, but I've heard that they will supposedly unveil the new camera at Tokyo’s Photo Image Expo the 19-21 this month. So hopefully we will only have to wait another 2 weeks.

jonstewart

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 12:43:35 pm »

I'm starting to think this camera won't be anything special. That's why I'm considering the Hy6 (it was my first option a year ago...). I'm feeling this Phase One "keep all secret" thing very uncomfortable too. I'm a PO user and I've been interested in this camera since the first rumors about 6 months ago. None from Phase One (or dealer) ever gave me a least a picture or specs about it. The camera would be announced after the New Year. Not a single word yet. Ans sincerely I'm starting to lose my interest in it and seriously considering  a Rollei or Sinar Hy6 even if I'll probably start with film.
Very disappointing from PO. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179313\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Funny Samuel, we have nearly the same kit, and we're both looking at the Hy6 (or in my case the Leaf AFi) ...and I think exactly the same of Phase One.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 12:44:24 pm by jonstewart »
Jon Stewart

samuel_js

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 01:16:13 pm »

I agree that the lack of communication is quite annoying, but I've heard that they will supposedly unveil the new camera at Tokyo’s Photo Image Expo the 19-21 this month. So hopefully we will only have to wait another 2 weeks.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
They (Phase One) don't seem to be in the list:
[a href=\"http://www.photoimagingexpo.com/exhibitors_e.html]http://www.photoimagingexpo.com/exhibitors_e.html[/url]  
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 01:18:52 pm by samuel_js »

jmboss

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 01:45:40 pm »

They (Phase One) don't seem to be in the list:
http://www.photoimagingexpo.com/exhibitors_e.html 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179348\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

However, Mamiya is listed as an exhibitor at the event. Maybe Phase One will be displaying the new camera version and other items at the Mamiya "booth".

Joe Bossuyt

amsp

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 02:25:36 pm »

However, Mamiya is listed as an exhibitor at the event. Maybe Phase One will be displaying the new camera version and other items at the Mamiya "booth".

Joe Bossuyt
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179355\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
PhaseOne answered that question on the P1 forum.. "Phase One is present at PIE under our japanese distributor which is DNP Photo Marketing (old Konica Minolta)"
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 02:27:25 pm by amsp »

RobertJ

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 01:17:51 am »

The PO body is based on the AFDII?  Is this the one that's going to be redesigned with leaf shutter lenses, etc?  I don't think it should be based on the AFDII...it should be totally different.  We'll see.

mcrepsej

• http://www.iversenfoto.dk
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 01:42:33 am »

In about two weeks or less (march 18th) you wil get information about the new PhaseOne body. It's build on a new 645 body made between PhaseOne/Mamiya. Better and faster autofocus. 5 or 9 nine points.

Later some PhaseOne lenses is made in europe (Schneider/Zeiss?).

That's all I know.

McRepsej

jonstewart

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 03:57:01 am »

Do you know, it always seems to be 'jam tomorrow' with Phase / Mamiya.

A new camera, little detail released, makes you think that they haven't an RTM candidate yet, and then 'there will be new lenses later' - when later; 1 month or 6 months, a year? No idea if the leaf shutter lenses will be available, but buy our new camera now is the message, and we'll have the lenses sometime.

And lastly, dangling big name lens manufacturers. This all sounds too much like a damage limitation marketing exercise. Get something, anything, out there before punters move away and lose interest.

As I said before, I was less than impressed with the Phase One people at the show last week.

J
Jon Stewart

Sean Reginald Knight

• Awaiting Authorisation
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 04:56:12 am »

A new camera, little detail released, makes you think that they haven't an RTM candidate yet, and then 'there will be new lenses later' - when later; 1 month or 6 months, a year? No idea if the leaf shutter lenses will be available, but buy our new camera now is the message, and we'll have the lenses sometime.

And lastly, dangling big name lens manufacturers. This all sounds too much like a damage limitation marketing exercise. Get something, anything, out there before punters move away and lose interest.

As I said before, I was less than impressed with the Phase One people at the show last week.
J
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179735\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Some live to complain. How about giving them a chance, Jon? No point going on like an old scold unless you are an old scold.

woof75

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 07:59:37 am »

J
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179735\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Seems a little negative when it's regarding the camera company that has a rock solid product on the market (AFD 2) and has released a new lens to add to an already stellar line up and Phase one who have the most reliable backs around all with software that actually works, now.

etrump

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 08:03:16 am »

At the conclusion Michael's Sydney talk the Danish head of Phase One (sorry name forgotten) gave a short spiel. One thing he did specifically mention was that there will be a Phase One body, based on the 645 Mamiya AFD II formally announced in two weeks time. No details on just what is different from the AFD II.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179248\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I wouldn't be too hard on Phase One, they probably have an agreement with Mamiya to not spread hype because it would totally trash any Mamiya AFDII sales prior to the camera being released.  That would not be good for either company especially since they are pushing AFDII packages so aggressively.

If you look at the AFD and AFDII timelines it is about time for an update anyway especially when you consider the acquisition of Mamiya and changes in the MF market over the last couple of years.

We will know by the end of the month and I expect it to be competitive with the other players products.  You have to admit the new lens offerings from Mamiya have been pretty impressive IMHO.

The real thing to be talking about is what are the plans for replacing the 39MP high end backs.  I haven't heard anything about where that is going and with Canon (and soon Nikon/Sony) in the 20+ MP range are we going to see 48MP backs soon?
Ed Cooley
 [url=http://www.whiteri

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 09:20:16 am »

In about two weeks or less (march 18th) you wil get information about the new PhaseOne body. It's build on a new 645 body made between PhaseOne/Mamiya. Better and faster autofocus. 5 or 9 nine points.

Later some PhaseOne lenses is made in europe (Schneider/Zeiss?).

That's all I know.

McRepsej
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179723\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I read some where here that this will take any back ie 'open'

With multipoint AF , new leaf lenses and old lenses back to the 50 shift and 24fish fron the ProTL this could be great for me at least

hope fully..

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 09:57:23 am »

...new leaf lenses...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179778\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is something I don't understand about the Mamiya 'faithful'. How long did it take for the 28mm to hit the shelves after announcement? And the ZD? Yet people seem to be living in hope that a whole range of leaf shutter lenses will be available in the next few months. That seems excessively optimistic to me.

canmiya

• beyond stills
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 10:14:34 am »

This is something I don't understand about the Mamiya 'faithful'. How long did it take for the 28mm to hit the shelves after announcement? And the ZD? Yet people seem to be living in hope that a whole range of leaf shutter lenses will be available in the next few months. That seems excessively optimistic to me.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179784\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i can't argue with you regarding the zd release, but then we should recognize that the ownership of the company was in the process of transition ...the 28mm lens was officially announced on june 1,2007 along with the 75-150 zoom.  the zoom was available three weeks later, and the 28mm lens became available in july of 07.  
since i have not seen anything from mamiya indicating they are producing leaf shutter lenses, i do agree with you that the belief that they will become available in the nxt few months is optimistic---to say the least.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 10:15:09 am by canmiya »

Mort54

• http://
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 10:26:25 am »

I don't think the "Mamiya Faithful" need to have all of the pieces in place and available for order in the next few months. Rather, having a clear roadmap, and an understanding that these things are being, and will be, rolled out, will be seen as a big step in and of itself. The new 75-150 and 28 mm lenses show Mamiya's system is not stagnant. With the appearance of the new body, that will further show that Mamiya is moving forward. Leaf lenses - well, we'll see. Personally, I think they'll just be the Hassy CF lenses with an adapter (but hopefully I'm wrong).

Regards,
Mort54
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2008, 10:32:16 am »

Why not simply wait for the 19th of March and the start of the PIE exhibition in Tokyo, JP?
I guess that is not that long to know and avoids a round of speculations.

Thierry
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up