Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: a digital workflow outline (help)  (Read 3799 times)

eitanwaks

a digital workflow outline (help)
« on: March 04, 2008, 02:28:31 pm »

Hi,
I recently purchased a Nikon D200.  This is my first digital camera.  Until now I have been using 35mm slide film.  I would scan this was a Nikon Coolscan 5000 and then continue to work on the image either in Photoshop, and more recently I've been using light room as a tool to organize my images.

I have been following this website for quite a while.  Several years actually.  I very much enjoyed the forums, although I have not been very active, and always enjoy the content of the reviews and articles.

If I remember correctly, several years ago Michael wrote a tutorial about his workflow.  I found that very useful even though I was not shooting digital at the time.

Recently I purchased the camera to print videos as well as the legroom videos.  It has been very interesting watching these videos.  They have proven very insightful.

I do believe there is one thing missing from these videos.  I'm not sure it is missing from these videos but could very well complement them.  If there was a PDF file, Internet page or any other document that outlines steps from capture to print I would find it very useful.

The videos are great on their own but the wealth of information inside them is very difficult to grasp for me.  It might be that I am just a beginner in the digital field, but I believe that other people are in my condition.

Being that this is a forum I guess I would have to ask a question sometime sooner or later.  That time is now.  Does anyone have a well-documented workflow?  I'm interested in the following aspects:
1.  First and foremost, I like to have the best image quality available.
2.  A nondestructive workflow.
3.  A well-documented, structured, easy-to-follow workflow.  

I just want some place to start with.  Something that would provide a good place to begin experimenting (I just don't want to reinvent the wheel myself).

Thanks for your help,
Eitan Waks

papa v2.0

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 09:54:33 pm »

yes
use nikon software to develop your raw files

or use nikons  srgb  or adobe-rgb profile

their software is tuned to your camera better that abode or apple

if you dont like it move to the third party

all depends on your  primary output device which you use
tune your system to your preferred output device

if you want to output to multiple systems you require an intimidate space or virtual print metric.
for opium results.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 10:14:13 pm »

I would recommend Bruce and Jeff's book - Real World Camera Raw:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/rwcrcs3.shtml

Although not specifically recommending any particular "workflow", your options, and ramifications of your choices are thoroughly explored.  

One particular advantage of Adobe Camera Raw over a particular vendor's supplied raw processor is the inevitable advance in the quality of the conversion, irrespective of your chosen platform.  You can enjoy and take advantage of this without affecting your current workflow.  

Put another way - is the current Nikon View or Canon DPP optimized for the currently shipping models at the expense of older models in the lineup?

-John
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 10:20:36 pm by Joh.Murray »

Colorado David

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 10:50:51 pm »

I use Nikon Capture NX.  It is a very easy program to learn and, in my opinion, is the very best raw converter for NEF's.  I attended a conference last summer where one of the presenters was the author of The Dam Book, Peter Krogh.  He has a well thought out work flow that made a lot of sense.  In the end I still chose to do things my own, convoluted way, mainly because I didn't want to use another raw converter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up