Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calculating FOV on shift camera  (Read 3328 times)

jonstewart

Calculating FOV on shift camera
« on: March 04, 2008, 08:28:03 am »

Hi all,

While the question applies generally, I'm planning on buying the new wide (shift) camera from Cambo (the Wide RS) when it comes out in a month or two.

For interior shooting (and other applications as well, I guess) I have the choice of the Schneider 24xl, which has little / no shift with P45 (49x36mm; 60mm image circle), or a 35xl which has an image circle of about 90mm at f11, hence a fair bit of shift available.

Is there some quick way to work out fov for these two, and I'd be glad to hear any other arguments for buying one as opposed to the other (don't really want to buy both right now)?

Many Thanks in Advance

Jon
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 11:00:58 am »

Hi all,

While the question applies generally, I'm planning on buying the new wide (shift) camera from Cambo (the Wide RS) when it comes out in a month or two.

For interior shooting (and other applications as well, I guess) I have the choice of the Schneider 24xl, which has little / no shift with P45 (49x36mm; 60mm image circle), or a 35xl which has an image circle of about 90mm at f11, hence a fair bit of shift available.

Is there some quick way to work out fov for these two, and I'd be glad to hear any other arguments for buying one as opposed to the other (don't really want to buy both right now)?

Many Thanks in Advance

Jon
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jon,

Here is a PDF that I found on Schneider's web site.  Scroll to the bottom and there is a chart that
will hopefully help you.

[a href=\"http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/pdf/foto/digitare_e.pdf]http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/pdf/foto/digitare_e.pdf[/url]

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell  

jonstewart

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 11:15:07 am »

Jon,

Here is a PDF that I found on Schneider's web site.  Scroll to the bottom and there is a chart that
will hopefully help you.

http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/pdf/foto/digitare_e.pdf

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179049\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Chris,
Thanks a lot. I got most of the other info off their site, but missed that pdf. Will take some time to read!
J

EDIT: Great link, but I can't see how to work out FOV when shifted. Is it a simple ratio of the amount of shift v frame size, applied to the original FOV at that aperture, or what?

EDIT Again: No that can't work, since the camera can only capture what the lens can see, and thats an angle of view of 102 degrees at fll on the 35XL. This is apparently slightly larger than the 100 degrees for the 24xl, so I guess the question is; Are there other advantages shooting with the 35XL, as opposed to the 24XL?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 11:30:40 am by jonstewart »
Jon Stewart

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 01:49:00 pm »

Chris,
Thanks a lot. I got most of the other info off their site, but missed that pdf. Will take some time to read!
J

EDIT: Great link, but I can't see how to work out FOV when shifted. Is it a simple ratio of the amount of shift v frame size, applied to the original FOV at that aperture, or what?

EDIT Again: No that can't work, since the camera can only capture what the lens can see, and thats an angle of view of 102 degrees at fll on the 35XL. This is apparently slightly larger than the 100 degrees for the 24xl, so I guess the question is; Are there other advantages shooting with the 35XL, as opposed to the 24XL?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would recommend going with the 35XL over the 24XL.  Both are sharp lenses, but the barrel distortion that goes along with the 24XL might be an issue.  The good thing about using the Cambo WDS with a 35XL is that you could stitch two shots.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
[a href=\"http://www.captureintegration.com]Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year[/url]

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell  

jonstewart

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 02:40:48 pm »

I would recommend going with the 35XL over the 24XL.  Both are sharp lenses, but the barrel distortion that goes along with the 24XL might be an issue.  The good thing about using the Cambo WDS with a 35XL is that you could stitch two shots.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179090\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for that. I had thought of stitching 3 wide with the sensor in portrait orientation.
Jon Stewart

EricV

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 03:29:26 pm »

Hi all,
Is there some quick way to work out fov for these two?
Jon
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179014\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Are you just asking how to calculate field of view, given lens focal length and sensor size?  Draw a right triangle where the base is the lens focal length and the height is half the sensor size.  The resulting angle is half the total angular field of view.  The formula is tangent(angle/2) = (sensor/2) / (focal length).  As a simple example, a 24mm lens covering a 48mm sensor will require angular coverage of 90 degrees.  Switch to a 35mm lens and the angular field of view is reduced to 69 degrees.  If the lens produces a 90 degree image circle, the first case will leave you with no movement and the second case will allow you to shift the field of view by 21 degrees, roughly 1/3 of the image size.  Of course you will have more room for movement along the short axis of the sensor.

jonstewart

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 04:49:50 pm »

Are you just asking how to calculate field of view, given lens focal length and sensor size?  Draw a right triangle where the base is the lens focal length and the height is half the sensor size.  The resulting angle is half the total angular field of view.  The formula is tangent(angle/2) = (sensor/2) / (focal length).  As a simple example, a 24mm lens covering a 48mm sensor will require angular coverage of 90 degrees.  Switch to a 35mm lens and the angular field of view is reduced to 69 degrees.  If the lens produces a 90 degree image circle, the first case will leave you with no movement and the second case will allow you to shift the field of view by 21 degrees, roughly 1/3 of the image size.  Of course you will have more room for movement along the short axis of the sensor.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179120\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Eric,
Thanks for the maths. It is spot on, if you thought I was asking an intelligent question(!), and actually answers a question I hadn't thought to ask, but should have.

As to my original question; it's really a case of brain in gear before mouth in motion.
Thanks
J
Jon Stewart

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 06:22:56 pm »

Eric,
Thanks for the maths. It is spot on, if you thought I was asking an intelligent question(!), and actually answers a question I hadn't thought to ask, but should have.

As to my original question; it's really a case of brain in gear before mouth in motion.
Thanks
J
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179138\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

IF the 35 can acheive the 24 angle of view by stitching (and im not saying it can) I would say that it is a more flexible lens because it is either a wide (stitched) or a 35 with lots of movments,

Obviusly it can only capture static subjects when stitching

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Sheldon N

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 08:49:17 pm »

A quick and dirty way to see how wide you can go with a lens when stitching is to look at the angle of coverage (not angle of view, which is format dependant).

I don't have the specs for the Schneider lenses in front of me, but if the 35mm lens has a wider angle of coverage than the 24mm lens, you can make the 35mm lens a wider lens by stitching. If the angle of coverage is equal, then will both be equally wide when you stitch an image out to the edges of the image circle.
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up