Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Velvet Paper Alternatives  (Read 2609 times)

sabatia

Velvet Paper Alternatives
« on: March 02, 2008, 10:35:52 am »

Over the last year I have been experimenting with many types and brands of paper on my ipf5000 and r1800. Among the paper types to which buyers of my photos and digital photo collages, collegues and friends--and I--have the strongest positive reactions is velvet, primarily Somerset PE V and the Canon and Epson versions of the same, both of which appear to be the same. Very beautiful, bright, and sharp with many images, particularly winter scenes with lots of snow(I have a house in northern Newfoundland!), but also with a wide range of other images. People like the way Somerset PEV feels in the hand and looks framed under glass.

My question is: Has anybody tried the alternatives and what do you think about them if you have? I have found several alternatives from Media Street, ProJet(Adorama), Lumijet, Hawk Mtn., Inkpress, Hahnemuhle. I knock out the Lumijet and Media Street, as they don't seem to come in 17" rolls, and I've tried the Hahnemuhle and found it not quite as lovely as the Somerset and the same or more expensive.

Thanks.

sabatia

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 10:39:08 am »

Sorry for the double post. I don't know how to knock it off the list.

POAH

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 02:11:41 pm »

you could try the newer somerset photo satin.  IMHO its a nicer paper than the velvet.  heavery too 300gsm vs 225
Free printer profiles, PM me for info

thompsonkirk

• http://www.red-green-blue.com
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 09:36:49 pm »

IMO Epson Velvet Fine Art has a much better coating than any other velvet paper.  It does have a bit of optical brightening, but not a lot; and it yields impressive blacks & an a richer tonal range in comparison to Somerset Velvet.  It  used to come in only letter & 13x19 sizes, but now you can get larger sheets.  (Can't remember if they're 17x22 or 17x25.)

Rob Reiter

• The LightRoom
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 02:10:40 pm »

I've been using Breathing Color Elegance. I've found it to be an excellent paper with a nice texture. Some OBAs but not an objectionable amount. Better blacks than I could get on Somerset Velvet for Epson using ImagePrint.
http://www.lightroom.com Fine art printi

printmaker

• http://
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 10:04:24 pm »

Ditto to that.

been using Somerset Velvet 330gsm sheets for years on the IRIS
got an epson, tried the SV 250gsm
felt cheap and too thin in comparison...
had a hard time transferring customers off the 330gsm to a 250gsm

Elegance Velvet IMO works beautifully.
Better than SV in color and blacks,
plus its less expensive and has nice weight (310gsm)
Pages: [1]   Go Up