Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone using Nikon Scan V4.0.2 w/ Intel Mac?  (Read 19603 times)

hassiman

Anyone using Nikon Scan V4.0.2 w/ Intel Mac?
« on: March 01, 2008, 10:45:42 pm »

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone was successfully running a Nikon CoolScan 9000 on an Intel Mac OS 10.4.11 using Nikon Scan V4.0.2?  I have heard that for some it works and for some it does not.  What is your experience?

Has loading this software caused any problems with OS 10.4.11?

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 11:52:01 am »

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone was successfully running a Nikon CoolScan 9000 on an Intel Mac OS 10.4.11 using Nikon Scan V4.0.2?  I have heard that for some it works and for some it does not.  What is your experience?

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178567\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I was running the 8000 with that setup before "upgrading" to Leopard on a new MacPro. Now I wish I had at least had set up the new one to dual boot Tiger and Leopard.

Not completely germane to your post, but...I contacted Nikon about the promised Leopard upgrade to Nikon Scan; their statements on the support site had been rather ambiguous about whether such an upgrade was even in the works. I was told that it IS being upgraded, but there is no timetable announced. Their software download site shows that several of their apps have been upgraded for Leopard, so perhaps Nikon Scan is the only laggard at this point.

Apparently SilverFast is also not working on Leopard, again because Nikon has yet to upgrade the 8000/9000 drivers for Leopard, upon which SilverFast depends. VueScan I find worse than useless because of its hideous interface and embarrassingly paltry documentation, and the sheer impenetrable difficulty scanning multi-frame strips in a film scanner, among its other abominations.
michael sebast

plugsnpixels

• http://www.plugsandpixels.com
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 05:30:11 pm »

I've successfully been using a Nikon CoolscanIV ED hooked up to an iMac G5 running 10.5.2 (leaving my MacPro for other things). I should test it on an Intel-based Mac and see what happens.

As for VueScan, I also use it, but agree it can be complicated (especially for students--I work in higher ed). Last I checked there was a bunch of documentation on the Hamrick website, so that shouldn't be a problem. VueScan is great in cases where the original scanner manufacturer has abandoned updating its drivers.
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog

francois

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 02:52:16 am »

I was running the 8000 with that setup before "upgrading" to Leopard on a new MacPro. Now I wish I had at least had set up the new one to dual boot Tiger and Leopard.
Michael,
Have you tried to run NikonScan with Rosetta (ie with PPC binaries)? Plugsnpixels, above, says that NikonScan works fine on a G5 running 10.5.2.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 02:54:30 am by francois »
Francois

jmwscot

• http://www.johnwoodphotowork.com
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 11:08:12 am »

I've successfully been using a Nikon CoolscanIV ED hooked up to an iMac G5 running 10.5.2 (leaving my MacPro for other things). I should test it on an Intel-based Mac and see what happens.

As for VueScan, I also use it, but agree it can be complicated (especially for students--I work in higher ed). Last I checked there was a bunch of documentation on the Hamrick website, so that shouldn't be a problem. VueScan is great in cases where the original scanner manufacturer has abandoned updating its drivers.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178720\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Can somebody please tell me if it is actually possible to run a 8000ED with Nikon Scan 4.0.2 on an Intel MacPro 2.66GHz Leopard 10.5.2. There is so much misinformation on the web about whether it can or not. I've read a report that on a dual processor, such as my MacPro, Nikon Scan will run on one processor only. I will be running Nikon Scan as a stand alone and not a Photoshop plug-in.

I would be grateful for any help. Nikon technical support is hopeless. Apple are already giving a briefing on the future 10.6.

hassiman

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 11:37:10 am »

Hi,

The Leopard version of Nikon Scan will never be completed.    Just not important enough for Nikon even though they still manufacture what can arguably be called the best film scanner for the price on the market.  VueSacn does not use TWAIN so it does not need the MAID interface.  Silverfast AI Studio has, with Nikon's premiission, developed a 8000/9000 version which is Leopard compatible and will be released within 2 weeks.  It is expensive but also the best scanning software on the market.

Can somebody please tell me if it is actually possible to run a 8000ED with Nikon Scan 4.0.2 on an Intel MacPro 2.66GHz Leopard 10.5.2. There is so much misinformation on the web about whether it can or not. I've read a report that on a dual processor, such as my MacPro, Nikon Scan will run on one processor only. I will be running Nikon Scan as a stand alone and not a Photoshop plug-in.

I would be grateful for any help. Nikon technical support is hopeless. Apple are already giving a briefing on the future 10.6.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200738\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

interpolator

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 05:08:35 pm »

Silverfast AI Studio has, with Nikon's premiission, developed a 8000/9000 version which is Leopard compatible and will be released within 2 weeks.  It is expensive but also the best scanning software on the market.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200743\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Silverfast has released their AI Studio version 6.6 for the Nikon LS-5000 that is stated not to rely upon the Nikon TWAIN drivers and is Leopard compatible.  Apparently the software for the 8000/9000 will be shortly avaliable.

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 09:52:31 pm »

Can somebody please tell me if it is actually possible to run a 8000ED with Nikon Scan 4.0.2 on an Intel MacPro 2.66GHz Leopard 10.5.2....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200738\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It is. As I mentioned in my first post above, I was having trouble getting this to work. A couple of email exchanges with Nikon tech support revealed the problem in my case--a couple of firewire drives attached to my system. It seems that these, when attached--even when "ejected"--can interfere with the software's ability to "see" the scanner; indeed, I had been getting "no scanner found" error messages.

Now all is well.

It is good news that Silverfast will soon release a version of its software that, in effect, does an end-around the roadblock erected by Nikon's apparent unwillingness to provide current software for its products. I may have to pony up and learn to navigate its psychedelic interface.

Mike
michael sebast

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

• http://www.billcaulfeild-browne.com
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 10:06:34 pm »

Yes, I have been using it for some time. At first I had problems but got excellent tech support fom Nikon. They advised me to trash ANYTHING to do with the Nikon Scan in Applications and Library - and I mean EVERYTHING!

Then go to their website and download 4.0, instal, then go back for the update and instal that. It all now works - at least as a stand-alone.

If you still have problems, email me and I'll forward their instructions to you. (billcb@amtelecom.net)

Bill

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone was successfully running a Nikon CoolScan 9000 on an Intel Mac OS 10.4.11 using Nikon Scan V4.0.2?  I have heard that for some it works and for some it does not.  What is your experience?

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178567\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

F. Meyers

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 02:53:29 am »

Silverfast has released their AI Studio version 6.6 for the Nikon LS-5000 that is stated not to rely upon the Nikon TWAIN drivers and is Leopard compatible.  Apparently the software for the 8000/9000 will be shortly avaliable.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200804\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Silverfast Ai 6.6 IS released for the 8000 and 9000 !
All Nikon film scanner are supported under Leopard now

hassiman

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 03:02:48 am »

Now that Silverfast AI Studio really IS Leopard/Intel compatible I was wondering if anyone here has been using it to scan color transparencies with their CoolScan 9000?

martinog

• http://www.artesheila.com/foto.html
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 07:47:37 am »

Hola,
I've been using Silverfast and Leopard with the CoolScan 4000 with no problems, so should be ok for the 9000. I haven't used NikonScan for years now as Silverfast is so much better.

Martin

Craig Brewer

• http://craigphoto.wordpress.com/
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 07:17:40 pm »

Am using 4.0.2 on a 24" aluminum iMac and a 13" Macbook with OS X 10.5.4 and am having no problems with a Coolscan 9000.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 02:38:54 am by Craig Brewer »

mistybreeze

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 08:12:39 am »

Even though I prefer drum scans for any serious reproductions from my film archive, the Coolscan 9000 was a great tool to get me through the choice-making process.

Frankly, I think it absolutely sucks that Nikon has abandoned any future updates for its Nikon Scan software, rendering the software useless on an Intel MacPro. (See Nikon Sucks)

I guess Silverfast comes out the winner here, grabbing another half-grand from Coolscan users. $500 or keep the old cpu around for scanning? I prefer one less thing to dust. Then again, there's always Hamrick and VueScan.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

• http://www.billcaulfeild-browne.com
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 05:14:33 pm »

Even though I prefer drum scans for any serious reproductions from my film archive, the Coolscan 9000 was a great tool to get me through the choice-making process.

Frankly, I think it absolutely sucks that Nikon has abandoned any future updates for its Nikon Scan software, rendering the software useless on an Intel MacPro. (See Nikon Sucks)

I guess Silverfast comes out the winner here, grabbing another half-grand from Coolscan users. $500 or keep the old cpu around for scanning? I prefer one less thing to dust. Then again, there's always Hamrick and VueScan.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210574\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

See my post above, June 10th. It doesn't suck at all on my Intel MacPro and I got very responsive service online from Nikon. (Of course, I didn't tell them I use Canons.....)

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up