Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flat Files . . . Where?  (Read 2776 times)

iancl

• http://www.iancoxleigh.com
Flat Files . . . Where?
« on: March 01, 2008, 10:00:52 pm »

I'm not sure this is the correct forum. But, I couldn't think where else this fit.

I've been looking around for some flat files for a while now without much success. I was hoping to find somewhere local to me in Toronto, Ontario; but, at this point I would also be interested in any online sources that have reasonable shipping to Canada. Is there anywhere that you'd recommend I look?

I had somewhat settled on metal and 37" wide (interior), but I'm open to other options. I'd also be interested in any used sources that might trim the costs.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 10:01:50 pm by iancl »

nickdavis

Flat Files . . . Where?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 09:13:01 pm »

I'm not sure this is the correct forum. But, I couldn't think where else this fit.

I've been looking around for some flat files for a while now without much success. I was hoping to find somewhere local to me in Toronto, Ontario; but, at this point I would also be interested in any online sources that have reasonable shipping to Canada. Is there anywhere that you'd recommend I look?

I had somewhat settled on metal and 37" wide (interior), but I'm open to other options. I'd also be interested in any used sources that might trim the costs.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178557\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Here's a tip: call some local surveying or appraisal firms - they're all now almost digital and have tons of these to unload that were used for old plat maps and blueprints.

Jon Shiu

• http://www.jonshiu.com
Flat Files . . . Where?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 10:18:13 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178557\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hi, check out craigslist.org and then select your city and do a search on flat files.

Good luck!

Jon
Mendocino Coast in Black and White: [url

iancl

Flat Files . . . Where?
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 10:32:15 am »

Here's a tip: call some local surveying or appraisal firms - they're all now almost digital and have tons of these to unload that were used for old plat maps and blueprints.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178761\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. I had tried a large number (12+) of used office and used architectural supply companies to no avail.

Hi, check out craigslist.org and then select your city and do a search on flat files.

Good luck!

Jon
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178772\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Jon, I have already checked Kiji, and Craig's List and found none currently listed in Toronto. I have also checked ebay.ca and found none in Canada (except one in Vancouver and the seller won't ship).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 10:32:41 am by iancl »

framah

Flat Files . . . Where?
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 01:01:01 pm »

There's a few of them up on regular ebay One is going for under $200 and they will ship they are in Ohio.

I just typed in flat files into ebays search and there they were.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Flat Files . . . Where?
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 01:47:58 pm »

Cheap ones are all over, but shipping fees are heavy.  Archivals cost more, but I found Sams Club carries one very good model, luckily big enough for what I need, and only $650 delivered!  Several hundred less than the best prices I found for it online, after shipping fees.

iancl

Flat Files . . . Where?
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 09:38:41 pm »

Thanks again everyone. I'll give a detailed update in case anyone ever searches for flat files and finds this posting.

1. Sam's Club won't ship to Canada. Neither will Nation Business Furniture.com which also had very reasonable prices. I tried Global Industrial and spoke to one person who said they'd ship and promised to call back but never did; and then another who said they wouldn't ship.

2. I tried over a dozen surveyors today. No luck. Some had said 'too late, already threw them out' others were still using them and others had never used them ever.

3. The ones on Ebay offer a freight shipping calculator that says it will give estimates of Canadian delivery -- but, it doesn't work. I have no idea how much the shipping would be. Otherwise, this would be a reasonable option.

4. I did find a Canadian company -- Buynowonline -- and they have Safco (only) and they are expensive. But, free shipping and no border issues. So, that a possible option.

5. I also called Mayline and they put me in contact with a Canadian agent and I called him. Haven't heard back yet.

6. I also found a Waterloo, ON company (Brennan Office Furniture) that has Mayline Flat Files but no website pricing. They promised to give me a quote by email tomorrow.

Ian

Charles Gast

Flat Files . . . Where?
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 08:48:40 am »

I saw one at a local charity resale store a couple of years ago.  It was very very cheap but at the time I wasn't buying.  Look up local charities and see if they have resale shops.
Pages: [1]   Go Up