Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best zoom for mamiya  (Read 4764 times)

ZOG

• http://
Best zoom for mamiya
« on: March 01, 2008, 11:36:55 am »

Hello,

I'm currently using and AFII - P45+ combo. Are there any zoom lenses from Mamiya worth buying? (City landscapes...) Sometimes it would come in handy... How is the 35mm? Is the 120 macro hard to focus?

Tanks!

Andre

canmiya

• beyond stills
Best zoom for mamiya
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 01:49:03 pm »

Hello,

I'm currently using and AFII - P45+ combo. Are there any zoom lenses from Mamiya worth buying? (City landscapes...) Sometimes it would come in handy... How is the 35mm? Is the 120 macro hard to focus?

Tanks!

Andre
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178460\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

if you are looking for a "normal" zoom, i highly recommend the 75-150 f4.5: it is wickedly sharp.....i do not find the macro hard to focus, especially since there is focus confirmation in the viewfinder...i have not shot with the 35

John_Black

• http://www.pebbleplace.com
Best zoom for mamiya
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 02:18:18 pm »

Rumors of a new 45-90 AF D surfaced a couple months ago.  The Tokyo PIE (Photo Image Expo) is March 19-21 and Mamiya / Phase are supposed to show their new camera.  Maybe a new lens or two.  Supposedly the new 80mm F2.8 AF D was going to be released in mid-February, but I haven't see anything about.  Another lens in the works (according to the rumors) is a 150mm F2.8 AF D.  It may worth waiting ~3 weeks to see what's coming.

Snook

Best zoom for mamiya
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 03:09:27 pm »

Rumors of a new 45-90 AF D surfaced a couple months ago.  The Tokyo PIE (Photo Image Expo) is March 19-21 and Mamiya / Phase are supposed to show their new camera.  Maybe a new lens or two.  Supposedly the new 80mm F2.8 AF D was going to be released in mid-February, but I haven't see anything about.  Another lens in the works (according to the rumors) is a 150mm F2.8 AF D.  It may worth waiting ~3 weeks to see what's coming.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178487\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yeh and where are their freaking Leaf shutter lens they have been popping their mouths off about?
Those are the ones I am interested in...:+}
Come on Mamiya!!
Snook

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
Best zoom for mamiya
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 05:23:35 pm »

Hi Zog,

Here is a article below I read about 2 years ago which convinced me to get all 3 lenses.

I have to say that all of them have performed beautifully.

Cheers

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

amsp

Best zoom for mamiya
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 07:13:18 pm »

Yeh and where are their freaking Leaf shutter lens they have been popping their mouths off about?
Those are the ones I am interested in...:+}
Come on Mamiya!!
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178493\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Snook, you are barking up the wrong tree. What PhaseOne said was that an as-of-yet unnamed european lens manufacturer would make leaf shutter lenses for the mamiya mount.

Snook

Best zoom for mamiya
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 07:30:46 pm »

Snook, you are barking up the wrong tree. What PhaseOne said was that an as-of-yet unnamed european lens manufacturer would make leaf shutter lenses for the mamiya mount.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178526\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
amsp, I could care a less who is going to make it.. Just do it..:+}
Snook

DolphinDan

Best zoom for mamiya
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 07:54:09 pm »

Hello,

Tanks!

Andre
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178460\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Andre,

I own the MAMIYA 28mm, 35mm, 45mm, 55-110mm zoom, 105-210mm zoom, 75-150mm zoom, 120mm macro, and 300mm lenses, all 645AFD-II versions.  With the AFD-II and P45+ I observe that the 28mm, 120mm macro, and 75-150mm lenses are much sharper than the other (older, film) lenses.

Regarding the 35mm lens, I find it not as sharp as the 28mm lens.  If price is an issue (the 28mm is like $5,500), then you might also look at the 45mm f2.8 AF lens...

Regarding the 120mm macro lens, I like it, especially for flowers, but you may find it redundant with the 75-150mm lens.  Yes, I find it easy to focus.  Also, I read on the internet that MAMIYA will be introducing a new 120mm macro lens soon featuring a 16bit CPU and AF (versus 4bit CPU and MF on the current lens).  So you might wait on the macro lens.

So to answer your question, yes the 75-150mm zoom lens from MAMIYA is definitely worth buying.

HTH
Daniel

John_Black

• http://www.pebbleplace.com
Best zoom for mamiya
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 01:59:28 am »

The other day I checked the Mamiya japan website and noticed a link on the main page for Schneider lenses (left side).  I don't read Japanese, so why the link is there, I have no idea.  Maybe they will be the "European" lens maker?

Mamiya Japan

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

• http://www.billcaulfeild-browne.com
Best zoom for mamiya
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 07:42:31 am »

I too own most current AFD II lenses (and a P45+) and I absolutely agree with Daniel on the relative sharpness. The 75-150 has become my standard lens.

Many think the 35 mm is a bit soft, tho' mine, used at f11 anyway, is a fine lens. But not as razor sharp as the 28 mm.

On a recent 5 week trip to Australia I used the 75-150 about 80% of the time, the 45 and the 300 about 10% each. (For weight/hiking reasons those are the only lenses I took.)

Bill

Hi Andre,

I own the MAMIYA 28mm, 35mm, 45mm, 55-110mm zoom, 105-210mm zoom, 75-150mm zoom, 120mm macro, and 300mm lenses, all 645AFD-II versions.  With the AFD-II and P45+ I observe that the 28mm, 120mm macro, and 75-150mm lenses are much sharper than the other (older, film) lenses.

Regarding the 35mm lens, I find it not as sharp as the 28mm lens.  If price is an issue (the 28mm is like $5,500), then you might also look at the 45mm f2.8 AF lens...

Regarding the 120mm macro lens, I like it, especially for flowers, but you may find it redundant with the 75-150mm lens.  Yes, I find it easy to focus.  Also, I read on the internet that MAMIYA will be introducing a new 120mm macro lens soon featuring a 16bit CPU and AF (versus 4bit CPU and MF on the current lens).  So you might wait on the macro lens.

So to answer your question, yes the 75-150mm zoom lens from MAMIYA is definitely worth buying.

HTH
Daniel
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178532\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Snook

Best zoom for mamiya
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 08:21:27 am »

I too own most current AFD II lenses (and a P45+) and I absolutely agree with Daniel on the relative sharpness. The 75-150 has become my standard lens.

Many think the 35 mm is a bit soft, tho' mine, used at f11 anyway, is a fine lens. But not as razor sharp as the 28 mm.

On a recent 5 week trip to Australia I used the 75-150 about 80% of the time, the 45 and the 300 about 10% each. (For weight/hiking reasons those are the only lenses I took.)

Bill
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178617\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Didn't Mamiya just come out recently with their 120mm macro "D" lens. Which is still Manual  Focus!.
I tried one out and did not find it different than the 120 mm AFD macro, So I bought the older one.
I would not hold your breath for a AF 120mm macro.. do not see it happening.
IS anybody else MISSING Leaf shutter lens's or a Body that has a HIGHER sync with Flash.
That is where HassleBlad Blows Mamiya away I feel. I just did not want to change all to hassleblad for that reason only. I actually do not like hassleblad at all. But being able to shoot at any sync speed with flash is Awesome!!!
I bought the RZ hoping to use its 400th sync with flash but it is pretty big and cumbersome to be taking on locations with ease!!
I hope mamiya/Phase new body has either Higher Sync or they get those leafshutter lens a rolling!
Atleast they should make some kind of an adaptor to use the Old Leafshutter lens with the AFD with out havr to close down everytime which is  ajoke and is redundant for portraits!!
Come on Mamiya ( or the "other"lens company... Get the leafshutters a coming.. you got one sold here...:+}
Snook
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 08:22:35 am by Snook »

elitegroup

Best zoom for mamiya
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 09:54:56 am »

Didn't Mamiya just come out recently with their 120mm macro "D" lens. Which is still Manual  Focus!.
I tried one out and did not find it different than the 120 mm AFD macro, So I bought the older one.
I would not hold your breath for a AF 120mm macro.. do not see it happening.
IS anybody else MISSING Leaf shutter lens's or a Body that has a HIGHER sync with Flash.
That is where HassleBlad Blows Mamiya away I feel. I just did not want to change all to hassleblad for that reason only. I actually do not like hassleblad at all. But being able to shoot at any sync speed with flash is Awesome!!!
I bought the RZ hoping to use its 400th sync with flash but it is pretty big and cumbersome to be taking on locations with ease!!
I hope mamiya/Phase new body has either Higher Sync or they get those leafshutter lens a rolling!
Atleast they should make some kind of an adaptor to use the Old Leafshutter lens with the AFD with out havr to close down everytime which is  ajoke and is redundant for portraits!!
Come on Mamiya ( or the "other"lens company... Get the leafshutters a coming.. you got one sold here...:+}
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178626\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's the only thing I dislike about the Mamiya AFD II system is the limited 1/125 th flash sync. speed.

I have high hopes for the yet unnamed leaf shutter european lens manufacturer (Schneider lenses as alluded to on the Mamiya japanese website)

For me the Phase One P45+, Mamiya AFD III & Superb Schneider-Kreuznach leaf shutter lenses would shelve my HY6 Dreams in a flash  

I can only hope until the announcement  
Pages: [1]   Go Up