Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Swimwear Shoot with Hasselblad H3D II  (Read 60656 times)

Mark Regan

• http://
Swimwear Shoot with Hasselblad H3D II
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2008, 01:36:07 pm »

Outstanding! Great pictures. Maybe the reflections of the upper leg on the boat are a little wide,
just kidding...

Question to all you H3DII shooters:
Is the dynamic range of the 22 and 39 (or the 31) mega
backs the same? Or is there less dynamic range available in the 39 vs the 22?
Thanks for any answers.

josayeruk

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2008, 08:50:57 am »

Hi,

I've just joined the forum as a new/emerging photographer and had the chance to use the Hasselblad H3D-39 II for the 2008 Australian kooey Swimwear Campaign.

I loved the intuitive ergonomics of the cameras menu. I found it very similar to an SLR in terms of use and handling. The AF lenses pretty much nailed it 95% of the time as I was shooting fairly quickly.  

The only real issue was FlexColor v.4.8.4 this has got to be the worst RAW processing program I've ever used, though I've heard good things about the forth coming Phocus Software. I've just downloaded the tutorial and it's looking like a vast improvement over FlexColor.

I'd love the opportunity to work with the upcoming Phase One P+/Mamiya MK III and Rolleiflex 6008 AF/Phase One P+ combo.

I'll post a link to Behind the Scenes video footage in a week or so  

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Extremely nice lighting.  

Looks like you didn't have the lens corrections on in the image below.  Any reason why?

Give FlexColor a chance - it is very powerful - just get somebody to show you the ropes.  You could also talk to...

[a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flexframe/]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flexframe/[/url]

Jo Sx
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 08:54:25 am by josayeruk »

elitegroup

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2008, 10:51:10 am »

Extremely nice lighting.   

Looks like you didn't have the lens corrections on in the image below.  Any reason why?

The lighting was from a 22" silver beauty dish connected to an Elinchrom Ranger RX  AS battery with S head (I love this pack, consistent color temp even after constant use, fast recharge, light and easy to operate) I opened up a couple stops to achieve the high key effect.

I'll definitely check out the link you've kindly posted.

Cheers  
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 06:11:53 pm by elitegroup »

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2008, 11:18:29 am »

I used the 28mm for this shot.

To be honest I didn't know whether the lens correction function was on and I don't know how to turn it on. It was my first time with the camera and I had no instruction manual, the operator gave me a quick 5 minute lesson and I just improvised from there   

The lighting was from a 27" silver beauty dish connected to an Elinchrom Ranger RX  AS battery with S head (I love this pack, consistent color temp even after days of constant use, fast recharge, light and easy to operate) I opened up a couple stops (ISO 100 to 400) to over expose/achieve that high key effect.

I'll post a link to the Kooey Swimwear behind the scenes video footage once the editing is complete. (should be ready in a couple of days)

Cheers 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178852\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think it can be hard to tell if DAC was on for a shot of this type - especially the distortion because of the plane angle of the model as she's pushing herself towards the lens.

For most recent versions of Flexcolor (including the current 4.8.4) all DAC corrections are turned on by default.

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

elitegroup

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2008, 11:25:08 am »

I think it can be hard to tell if DAC was on for a shot of this type - especially the distortion because of the plane angle of the model as she's pushing herself towards the lens.

For most recent versions of Flexcolor (including the current 4.8.4) all DAC corrections are turned on by default.

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178855\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the info, it's good to know DAC is turned on by default in FlexColor 4.8.4
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 06:13:31 pm by elitegroup »

psvedberg

• www.sfoto.se/fotografer/patrik-svedberg
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2008, 12:40:05 pm »

...hmm - in fact when shooting people with the 28 I prefer to have the DAC turned OFF in postproduction - otherwise like in this case the model will have even MORE distorted head/hair and feet as they are nearer the edges of the frame... But here it´s just cool.

josayeruk

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2008, 02:07:57 pm »

I used the 28mm for this shot.

To be honest I didn't know whether the lens correction function was on and I don't know how to turn it on. It was my first time with the camera and I had no instruction manual, the operator gave me a quick 5 minute lesson and I just improvised from there   

The lighting was from a 27" silver beauty dish connected to an Elinchrom Ranger RX  AS battery with S head (I love this pack, consistent color temp even after constant use, fast recharge, light and easy to operate) I opened up a couple stops (ISO 100 to 400) to over expose/achieve that high key effect.

I'll post a link to the Kooey Swimwear behind the scenes video footage once the editing is complete. (should be ready in a couple of days)

Cheers 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178852\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In that case, you improvised pretty well!

The link I posted should put you in touch with a lot of people who use the equipment.  You might be interested to know it was also setup by a Kiwi.    

Jo S.x

elitegroup

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2008, 01:18:55 pm »

In that case, you improvised pretty well!

The link I posted should put you in touch with a lot of people who use the equipment.  You might be interested to know it was also setup by a Kiwi.   

Jo S.x
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178899\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I applied to join this group but because I do not own an H3DII my application was rejected  

josayeruk

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2008, 01:59:30 pm »

I applied to join this group but because I do not own an H3DII my application was rejected 
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Oh I see.  I didn't think of that!

Yes, the group is for owners only.  It has just gone onto a web version now...

[a href=\"http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/]http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/[/url]

...and there is a forum for prospective purchasers so you can interact with the owners, pros and cons etc etc.

Hope that helps instead!

Jo S.x

jonstewart

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2008, 03:19:11 pm »

So, not only are Hasselblad going for a completely closed system, they are also going for closed forums as well!
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2008, 03:40:30 pm »

So, not only are Hasselblad going for a completely closed system, they are also going for closed forums as well!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200323\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nick T's a good guy so I doubt if the idea of a closed forum was his idea, though I don't know this as fact.

Regardless, any maker that closes there forum to me is just not worth the effort.

A maker's forum can tell you a lot about a purchase, how they respond, do they repsond fully, how they resolve issues.

An open forum allows for a lot of good cross exchange from all types of users and normally can avoid the risk of the one hand clapping syndrome.

JR
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 03:42:52 pm by James R Russell »

josayeruk

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2008, 05:46:06 pm »

For a start Hasselblad is not completely closed.  CF Back? - Like Sinar works with multiple medium format cameras via changing an adapter.  Is that closed?

And have you considered the advantages of the H3D?  Its a short sighted perspective to be always negative.

Anyway as usual we could go round in circles.  Back to the point in hand...

The forum is run by Nick T and has his reasons for keeping it closed which is supported by the members.

The web forum was started up to give non-users a better way to communicate with owners, which wasn't possible with the email list.

Jo S.x

jonstewart

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2008, 05:50:43 pm »

Hi James,
My first thought was that they wanted any dirty washing to stay as private as possible. I wasn't referring to Nick T, just Hasselblad's apparent philosophy in this respect.

When I go to buy equipment (and I'm sure it's the same for many others) I don't want to know what it can do, I want to know what it can't, and exactly where the limits are.

The fact that they were closing down their system was enough to persuade me not to buy into it in the first place!

Cheers
Jon
Jon Stewart

jonstewart

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2008, 05:56:46 pm »

For a start Hasselblad is not completely closed.  CF Back? - Like Sinar works with multiple medium format cameras via changing an adapter.  Is that closed?

And have you considered the advantages of the H3D?  Its a short sighted perspective to be always negative.

Jo S.x
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200338\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi,
Don't want to get into a whole wrangle over very little here, but my thoughts are as follows:

1. At the moment Hasselblad is not completely closed, as you state, but look at the direction they're headed in the past while.

2. The only advantage to me would be an MS back: I wonder how many years will Phase One (I own)  take to actually deliver one of these, if ever, and I doubt they will. (I seem to shoot mostly large format, so I wouldn't see much advantage, to me, of the integration levels of the H system. I can see how it might be of value to others.)

Short sighted? I don't think so, but I can appreciate why we can disagree here, and that's fine.

Cheers
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 05:58:35 pm by jonstewart »
Jon Stewart

josayeruk

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2008, 06:45:06 pm »

Hi James,
My first thought was that they wanted any dirty washing to stay as private as possible. I wasn't referring to Nick T, just Hasselblad's apparent philosophy in this respect.

When I go to buy equipment (and I'm sure it's the same for many others) I don't want to know what it can do, I want to know what it can't, and exactly where the limits are.

The fact that they were closing down their system was enough to persuade me not to buy into it in the first place!

Cheers
Jon
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200339\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The forum has no association with Hasselblad.

TechTalk

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2008, 07:06:00 pm »

Nick T's a good guy so I doubt if the idea of a closed forum was his idea, though I don't know this as fact.

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200325\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The Yahoo FlexFrame Users Group was created by Nick T and he wanted a closed forum. The smaller group allows owners of the equipment to discuss their questions, answers and experiences in a far less chaotic environment than would be possible in open forums like this. It is an additional option to open forums, not a replacement. There are complaints aired and opinions get argued, but the smaller group provides for a more supportive familial atmosphere.

I think he's still a good guy.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

TechTalk

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2008, 07:15:33 pm »

No they aren't.  It isn't their forum.    

Didn't really care about responding to your post. Just wanted to try out the faces. I've never used them before. Don't think I will again. They make me feel like I'm back in 6th grade.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2008, 07:56:40 pm »

Give FlexColor a chance - it is very powerful - just get somebody to show you the ropes. [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178840\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Why? It's absolutely wretched.  Really difficult to use and looks like in was designed in 1994 and never updated subsequently.
Phocus is a huge improvement [if you have a Mac, tough if you use PCs], but is still rather clumsy and seriously lacking when you compare in to Bridge/ACR and Lightroom. Workflow seems a bit sad next to Adobe's stuff and considering the price of the cameras, you'd expect, top notch software to go with it, which is sadly not the case. Phocus seems somewhat unfinished to my mind. Roll on v2, but probably not this decade.  

Nice shots BTW
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 08:01:07 pm by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2008, 02:41:18 am »

Young indigenous model 'Emily Cattermole' is one of the rising aboriginal talents here in Australia and I look forward to watching her career blossom   

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178368\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You are kidding right? I mean about the "aboriginal" part?

The word aboriginal, appearing in English since at least the 17th century and meaning "first or earliest known, indigenous," (Latin Aborigines, from ab: from, and origo: origin, beginning),[9] has been used in Australia to describe its Indigenous peoples as early as 1789.--wikipedia.

That model, while pretty, looks like a European, and if not that, she has lots of European in her. I would not call her aboriginal. Unless I'm forgetting my history and anthropology classes on Australian Aboriginal peoples, that's quite and insult.

Very nice work though. Also, there is a dedicated MF thread you may want to post these in. But those MF guys are snottier than us lowly "full frame" dudes. They drink "wine" and eat "cheese" and we drink "beer" and eat "chips."  

Anyway, welcome.

AndrewDyer

• http://www.andrewdyer.com
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2008, 04:29:20 am »

I would not call her aboriginal. Unless I'm forgetting my history and anthropology classes on Australian Aboriginal peoples, that's quite and insult.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200396\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, dwdallam.... you might not call her Aboriginal, but thankfully that doesn't mean she can't identify
herself as one. Do you know who her parents are?
I guess it shows that studying a subject and actually living and experiencing a subject
are 2 very different things.
A
Andrew
 ht
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up