Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DPP 3.0.2.6 hangs on Mac OS X 10.5.2  (Read 11247 times)

knweiss

DPP 3.0.2.6 hangs on Mac OS X 10.5.2
« on: February 29, 2008, 04:21:05 pm »

Hello DPP users!

Two weeks ago I got my first Mac - a Mac Pro. I've upgraded the installation
to 10.5.2 right from the beginning. I also installed Canon's DPP 3.2.0.6
and it worked then. Now, some days later, I have trouble starting
DPP because it shows the spinning wheel and literally takes *minutes* to
start.

/var/log/system.log shows this:
Feb 29 21:27:19 xor Digital Photo Professional[7277]: *** -[NSLock unlock]: lock
(<NSLock: 0x14aa78a0> '(null)') unlocked when not locked
Feb 29 21:27:19 xor Digital Photo Professional[7277]: *** Break on _NSLockError() to debug.
Feb 29 21:27:19 xor Digital Photo Professional[7277]: *** -[NSLock unlock]: lock (<NSLock: 0x14aa78a0>
'(null)') unlocked when not locked
Feb 29 21:27:19 xor Digital Photo Professional[7277]: *** Break on _NSLockError() to debug.
Using "Spin Control" I got a backtrace of the hanging DPP process. The trace indicated
that the process hangs in the lstat() syscall. I used the following DTrace script to find
out which file it is lstat()ing:
$ sudo dtrace -s /dev/stdin
syscall::lstat:entry
{
   printf("%s: %s\n", execname, copyinstr(arg0));
}
^D
It turns out DPP hangs because it lstats files in the /net directory! Sample DTrace output:
  2  17978                      lstat:entry Digital Photo P: /net

2  17978                      lstat:entry Digital Photo P: /net/barton.localnet

2  17978                      lstat:entry Digital Photo P: /net/barton
barton is an (offline) host in my LAN. /net is a autofsd/automountd
directory according to /etc/fstab:
$ mount | grep /net
map -hosts on /net (autofs, automounted)
When the DPP window finally appears on the screen after several minutes I see
"/home" and "/net" directories in the folder sidebar on the left. The shell command
"ls /net" hangs, too.

Does anyone know how I can prevent this strange behaviour?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm new to the Mac...

francois

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 04:08:03 am »

Do you use MacFUSE? Are your images stored on a remote host? From your ystem log, DPP is looking for a remote file system.

I must say that I haven't installed the last version of DPP and only have very limited experience with previous versions.
Francois

knweiss

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 05:52:26 am »

Do you use MacFUSE? Are your images stored on a remote host? From your ystem log, DPP is looking for a remote file system.

No, I don't use MacFUSE. All files are local and I never accessed a remote filesystem from
DPP.

I have VMware Fusion 1.1.1, however. But as far as I remember the DPP hangs happened
before I installed it, too.

francois

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 10:58:42 am »

No, I don't use MacFUSE. All files are local and I never accessed a remote filesystem from
DPP.

I have VMware Fusion 1.1.1, however. But as far as I remember the DPP hangs happened
before I installed it, too.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178413\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
OK,
I launched the latest version of DPP installed on my Mac (3.0.0.4) and it also spent an eternity trying to scan /net and trying to acces hidden.local. I didn't bother to install the latest available version.

It might be an incompatibility between Mac OS X 10.5.2 and DPP. FWIW, I also tried on a dual G5 (running 10.5.2) and results are very similar.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 11:00:23 am by francois »
Francois

knweiss

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 11:03:04 am »

It might be an incompatibility between Mac OS X 10.5.2 and DPP. FWIW, I also tried on a dual G5 (running 10.5.2) and results are very similar.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178454\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for testing!

francois

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 11:30:23 am »

Thanks for testing!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178455\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If you absolutely need DPP, you can try to install it on your VMWare Windows partition until Canon comes up with a working solution.
Francois

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 01:31:37 pm »

DPP 3.2.0.6 is working fine on my MacPro running Leopard 10.5.2.

Troubleshooting DPP:

The preferences file for Digital Photo Professional may be damaged.

Quit any applications that are running, delete the preferences file from the [Preferences] folder using the following procedure, and then restart Digital Photo Professional.
Open the hard disk drive where the system is saved > the [Users] folder > Folder for the logged in user > the [Library] folder > the [Preferences] folder and then delete [com.canon.Digital Photo Professional.plist].
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 01:33:42 pm by jerryrock »
Gerald J Skrocki

francois

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 02:03:13 am »

DPP 3.2.0.6 is working fine on my MacPro running Leopard 10.5.2.

Troubleshooting DPP:

The preferences file for Digital Photo Professional may be damaged.

Quit any applications that are running, delete the preferences file from the [Preferences] folder using the following procedure, and then restart Digital Photo Professional.
Open the hard disk drive where the system is saved > the [Users] folder > Folder for the logged in user > the [Library] folder > the [Preferences] folder and then delete [com.canon.Digital Photo Professional.plist].
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178480\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I already tried to delete preferences without success. It might be important to note that I had previous versions of DPP and installed updates. If I find the time, I'l install a fresh version to see if it's better.
Francois

knweiss

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 05:09:08 am »

I already tried to delete preferences without success. It might be important to note that I had previous versions of DPP and installed updates. If I find the time, I'l install a fresh version to see if it's better.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178590\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I also tried to delete the preferences file without success. And I did not upgrade. DPP 3.2.0.6 is the first version I installed on my Mac Pro.

jerryrock, is your computer on a LAN? Did you ever enable Windows file sharing before? What happens if you execute "ls -l /net" in Terminal? Do you get an instant result (directory listing) or does it hang?

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 01:15:30 pm »

I also tried to delete the preferences file without success. And I did not upgrade. DPP 3.2.0.6 is the first version I installed on my Mac Pro.

jerryrock, is your computer on a LAN? Did you ever enable Windows file sharing before? What happens if you execute "ls -l /net" in Terminal? Do you get an instant result (directory listing) or does it hang?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178605\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My computer is connected to a Linksys Wireless router (via ethernet cable).  I have not enabled Windows file sharing.

I use hard drives physically installed in my system, so the terminal command is pointless for me.
Gerald J Skrocki

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 11:04:29 am »

I have DPP 3.2.1 on my Mac Pro running 10.5.2 and it doesn't work.

The application will start (takes a while as it probes every disk attached to the system), but when I select a folder full of RAW files I don't get any thumbnails.  Double clicking on the photo placeholder gives me a SPOD.

Ah well, Lightroom and Aperture work well enough -- but if I wanted to shoot tethered with the 1Ds Mark III I'd be SOL.  Good thing I'm a landscape guy not a studio guy I guess  

knweiss

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 04:29:20 pm »

When the DPP window finally appears on the screen after several minutes I see
"/home" and "/net" directories in the folder sidebar on the left. The shell command
"ls /net" hangs, too.

Does anyone know how I can prevent this strange behaviour?

After noticing that DPP 3.3 probably won't support 10.5 either I decided to give this a 2nd try. I now found a workaround for the problem:

1. Comment out the following line in /etc/auto_master:
/net      -hosts  -nobrowse,nosuid
becomes
#/net      -hosts  -nobrowse,nosuid

2. Reread the config with
$ sudo automount -vc
automount: /home updated
automount: /net unmounted

Now DPP starts normally again and the command " ls -l /net" doesn't stall anymore.

If I do not comment the "/net" line every process which accesses the /net directory (like DPP) will hang for minutes (SBBOD).

Caveat: I don't know if this will have any bad consequences on the rest of the system.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 07:12:20 am by knweiss »

francois

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 06:11:33 am »

After noticing that DPP 3.3 probably won't support 10.5 either I decided to give this a 2nd try. I now found a workaround for the problem:

1. Comment out the following line in /etc/auto_master:
/net      -hosts  -nobrowse,nosuid
becomes
#/net      -hosts  -nobrowse,nosuid

2. Reread the config with
$ sudo automount -vc
automount: /home updated
automount: /net unmounted

Now DPP starts normally again and the command " ls -l /net" doesn't stall anymore.

If I do not comment the "/net" line every process which accesses the /net directory (like DPP) will hang for minutes (SBBOD).

Caveat: I don't know if this will have any bad consequences to the rest if the system.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=187098\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for the fix. I thought of doing something along those lines but since I only use DPP very occasionally , I gave up. I filed a bug at Apple, naively hoping that they can contact Canon.
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up