Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson ink use quandry  (Read 3723 times)

willie45

Epson ink use quandry
« on: February 29, 2008, 05:25:36 am »

Hi

I am in the market for a new printer. I want the machine to be capable of producing high quality B+W ( matte and semi - gloss ) prints as well as good colour images in all finishes. Paper size handling isn't too important - I rarely have wanted to print over A3.

Having looked at reviews and considering image quality over a variety of media, I had pretty much decided on the Epson R3800 until tonight, when I noticed that Epson say their ink cartridges will only last 6 months once opened. Now this means that I would have to replace the entire range of cartridges twice a year. In addition, past experience tells me that a couple of these cartridges run out at around twice the speed of the othrs so in fact I would be buying around 22 cartridges per year at a cost of 36 UK pounds per cartridge: in other words I would be spending a minimum of about 800 UK pounds per year on ink alone. Almost as much as the cost of the printer.

If I compare this to the R2400 ( whose ink costs more per ml due to smaller cartridge size ) and replaced these at the same rate my minimum cost would only be 242 UK pounds per annum.

I confess I don't know how much ink I would normally go through having never kept tabs on it until now. I suppose I print around 4 or 5 A3 prints and maybe 12 or so A4 per month. I can't imagine using up all this ink on that amount of prints.

Am I missing something here or is the 2400 more economical proposition for me? Alternatively I would go for the HP B9180 but am slightly put off by reports of bronzing.

Willie

Farmer

Epson ink use quandry
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 06:19:52 am »

6 months, like most useby dates is conservative.  If they said 6 months and ink regularly had a problem after 3 months, they'd be in strife.

I obviously can't offer you any guarantees, but I would be surprised if you had problems up to 9 months unless you have some very adverse environmental issues, and probably OK up to 12.  Of course, you won't be throwing out full cartridges and you don't have to toss them unless you see a problem.

What printer are you currently using and how much ink are you pushing through at the moment?
Phil Brown

willie45

Epson ink use quandry
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 09:24:10 am »

Hi Farmer

I am using an R1800 at the moment. I don't have much of an idea how many cartridges I am going through and I tend to just buy them as and when without paying too much attention. I would certainly buy a set or two every 6 months but the carts are only 17ml compared with the 3800's 80ml.

I am beginning to doubt that I print enough to make the 3800 a worthwhile proposition though.

I might just look at the 2400 or the B9180

Willie

picnic

Epson ink use quandry
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 12:02:53 pm »

Hi

I am in the market for a new printer. I want the machine to be capable of producing high quality B+W ( matte and semi - gloss ) prints as well as good colour images in all finishes. Paper size handling isn't too important - I rarely have wanted to print over A3.

Having looked at reviews and considering image quality over a variety of media, I had pretty much decided on the Epson R3800 until tonight, when I noticed that Epson say their ink cartridges will only last 6 months once opened. Now this means that I would have to replace the entire range of cartridges twice a year. In addition, past experience tells me that a couple of these cartridges run out at around twice the speed of the othrs so in fact I would be buying around 22 cartridges per year at a cost of 36 UK pounds per cartridge: in other words I would be spending a minimum of about 800 UK pounds per year on ink alone. Almost as much as the cost of the printer.

If I compare this to the R2400 ( whose ink costs more per ml due to smaller cartridge size ) and replaced these at the same rate my minimum cost would only be 242 UK pounds per annum.

I confess I don't know how much ink I would normally go through having never kept tabs on it until now. I suppose I print around 4 or 5 A3 prints and maybe 12 or so A4 per month. I can't imagine using up all this ink on that amount of prints.

Am I missing something here or is the 2400 more economical proposition for me? Alternatively I would go for the HP B9180 but am slightly put off by reports of bronzing.

Willie
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178186\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Willie, my 3800 is over a year old and I have not replaced all my carts yet.  I see no problems whatsoever.  I will also say that I often used older open carts with the 2200 without problem (due primarily to the MB/PB issue--I kept the unused cart upright in a ziplock bag and just replaced when needed).   I really don't see that as much of an issue.  I am not a huge volume printer either, altho' I do a lot of mono printing so have replaced all the black carts and a couple of colors--but relatively recently--not within the 6 mos time period (maybe one of the blacks within that time period).  I see no shifts (the recommendation is to take the older carts out and shake them gently and replace), no clogging.  

Diane

Gareth

• http://
Epson ink use quandry
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 02:12:36 pm »

My Epson 3800 is a year old in a couple of days and I have only changed 4 cartridges so far, in fact the cyan and magenta might last another 6 months.

Everything I print continues to look wonderful (techncally at least!).

Before buying the printer I hesitated over a 2400 + CIS but took the risk on the 3800 and have never looked back.

Gareth

matt4626

Epson ink use quandry
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 02:25:39 pm »

I too have a one year old 3800. I have not had to replace any cartriges. Current prints look exactly the same as ones I printed a year ago.

duraace

Epson ink use quandry
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 11:41:35 am »

Also, bare in mind that manual switching of matt and gloss blacks waste much more ink than the 3800's auto switch. I love mine, and not running out of ink so often is a big bonus.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Epson ink use quandry
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 07:38:10 pm »

Hi

Willie
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Epson ink use quandry
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 07:41:47 pm »

Hi

Willie

Why are you in the market for a new printer? What is there about the 2400 that you would like to improve upon? The 2400 is capable of making fine B&W and colour prints. At your monthly volume I wouldn't be looking at replacing this printer - just not worth it either in terms of money or print quality.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: [1]   Go Up