Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: G9 lens conversion  (Read 4535 times)

David Barr

G9 lens conversion
« on: February 29, 2008, 03:20:15 am »

Hello - new member.  Experienced photographer almost thirty years in the business.

I bought a G7 last year for a trip to Spain.  Great camera,  but the added feature of RAW was enough of an improvement to have me sell the G7 and buy a G9 - even greater camera.  Working of course with the limitations of such a small camera it does what is supposed to do very well.

I have also purchased the wide angle and telephoto lenses.

My question is what exactly is happening in the camera when you set the menu for the wide or tele lenses?  

Appreciate any input.

Thanks

01af

G9 lens conversion
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 10:05:02 am »

Mostly---nothing.

The only things that will actually change are 1) the focal lengths recorded in the image files' EXIF metadata, and 2) the shutter speed limit at which the camera will start to display a camera shake warning symbol. And oh, maybe also the curves of the automatic-exposure program will get shifted somewhat (towards faster shutter speeds with the tele converter; towards smaller apertures with the wide-angle converter ... only speculating here).

-- Olaf

David Barr

G9 lens conversion
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 09:45:01 pm »

Mostly---nothing.

The only things that will actually change are 1) the focal lengths recorded in the image files' EXIF metadata, and 2) the shutter speed limit at which the camera will start to display a camera shake warning symbol. And oh, maybe also the curves of the automatic-exposure program will get shifted somewhat (towards faster shutter speeds with the tele converter; towards smaller apertures with the wide-angle converter ... only speculating here).

-- Olaf
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178217\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Olaf.  That was about my assessment of the situation but it it would seem that it does not alter the metadata to tell you the correct focal length a picture was taken at.  I contacted Canon today by email and got this info,  I quote:

"It is recommended to select the converter that is being used within the cameras menu when the Image Stabiliser is enabled.  This is not required when the IS is not enabled.  There is a minor change done to the camera setting to maintain the image stabilisers performance."

David Barr

01af

G9 lens conversion
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 01:19:57 pm »

... I quote:
"It is recommended to select the converter that is being used within the cameras menu when the Image Stabiliser is enabled.  This is not required when the IS is not enabled.  There is a minor change done to the camera setting to maintain the image stabilisers performance."[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178357\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Oh yes---the image stabiliser.

In order to work properly, the IS must know the lens' actual focal length (among other things). So when the camera isn't aware of the converter's presence and has the IS engaged, the IS will work at reduced efficiency or maybe even not at all (i. e. amplifying the camera shake rather than reducing it).

-- Olaf
Pages: [1]   Go Up