Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: photographic output  (Read 5978 times)

stanney2001

photographic output
« on: February 28, 2008, 04:06:14 pm »

hi, i am doing a project at college where i am exploring all forms of output, as in final sale, media. i am looking at digital as the capture and then all points after. i am wondering if anyone is willing to reply saying how they output their images. this could be using a lab or using your own inhouse printer. i am also interested in preferred media. canvas inkjet paper or any other means in which you output your images. any feedback is welcome as im trying to get an oversight as to what photographers and the markets preferences are. Or if any one would like to add a topic to get a conversation going that would help as well.

best regards

andrew stanney

Farkled

photographic output
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 08:00:49 pm »

Being limited by wall and refrigerator space, I print very few images.  When I do print, I do it myself.  Since I use an Epson, I'm prone to Epson papers because they work.  Most used are glossy, luster and a little matte.  Only other output form is on screen.

Steven Draper

• http://www.stevendraperphotography.com
photographic output
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 02:02:02 pm »

I make my own prints, nothing large, but up to A3 using a B9180. I generally use the HP papers.

I like to make my own prints because I enjoy being in control of the whole creative process, and the quality of the image is good enough for most purposes. I have sold prints made from this machine - being both Portraits and some landscape / fine art pieces.

I also find it very useful to be able to print to my own specific sizes, and living in a rural location organizing supply through a 3rd party adds a significant amount of time to the process of producing images.

Personally I like the idea of the print being as much of the photographer as the other processes involved in making the print.

However in saying all of this, my total output is small.
image examples are at my website  [url=h

joneil

• This is what beer does to you....
photographic output
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 12:23:42 pm »

I use one mostly for commercial (IE - desktop publishing) output rather than artistic output, but if you have a chance, take a look at the Xerox Phaser printers.   Very expensive printers - "desktop" models start around $5,000 by the time you add sales taxes & extra inks, but the output is superb.

Based on wax ink blocks, it has a look unlike anything else I've seen.  I very seldom see them for art prints, because they are aimed at the business market, and they are used for outputting hundreds if not thousands of copies per month.  

But if you can ever take a look , please do.  I love my Phaser.

joe
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 12:23:58 pm by joneil »

SeanPuckett

• http://photi.ca/
photographic output
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 04:38:04 pm »

Joe,

The Phaser 8560 seems to be quite cost effective ($700 out the gate) and gets high marks for good colour and gamut.  I'm wondering about its effectiveness as a greeting card printer compared to similarly priced colour lasers.  (I've got high end inkjet for larger sizes.)

sojournerphoto

photographic output
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 09:21:14 am »

hi, i am doing a project at college where i am exploring all forms of output, as in final sale, media. i am looking at digital as the capture and then all points after. i am wondering if anyone is willing to reply saying how they output their images. this could be using a lab or using your own inhouse printer. i am also interested in preferred media. canvas inkjet paper or any other means in which you output your images. any feedback is welcome as im trying to get an oversight as to what photographers and the markets preferences are. Or if any one would like to add a topic to get a conversation going that would help as well.
best regards

andrew stanney
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178067\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I output all my work using a CAnon IPF5000. Limited edition prints (generally) on hahnemuhle photorag bright white and gloss on Ilford Gold Fibre Silk. Everyday prints on canon glacier white or ilford heavyweight matte. Greetings cards on the hahne (about 75 per roll).

Prints are up to 6 feet by 16 inches, but more typical sizes are 15 by 10, 18 by 12 and 24 by 16. Hopefully, when I've sold enough (or get a big interior contract...) I'll get a bigger printer

Mike

lightstand

photographic output
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 01:26:30 pm »

You might want to look at digitaloutput.net it's a free trade mag discussing issues for commercial printers. They have had articles on outputting images for car wraps, building wraps, & the last issue showed a new body wrap (suit for athletes-concerned with aero-dynamics)

I haven't sold any of my images for these outputs but thought it might be interesting for you to look at, maybe? Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up