Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DB like scanner?  (Read 2205 times)

fcicconi

• http://www.fabriziocicconi.it
DB like scanner?
« on: February 28, 2008, 02:05:39 pm »

I Have a question...
I would like use my P25 for make the riproduction of my negatives archives...
I tryed with Slide and there are not a lot of problem, The problem is with negatives.
The inversision negtaive - Positive with photoshop, is not really good.
the Istogram result very bad with a lot of "strap" ? "not linear"? I don' know the tecnical word in english.

Do You think that it will be possible make a profile inversion for negative with terget IT8 for the Back? Are there other possibility?

Best regards

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
DB like scanner?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 03:08:36 pm »

you would get better tonal results using RAW format. Photoshop is 15 bit, Camera RAW is 16 bit, histogram will have less gaps if camera RAW is used. Try inversion  using inverted curve in camera raw and then adjust this curve to fine-tune the tones.

What is your photographic setup - how do you secure negatives infront of the lens?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 03:10:07 pm by MichaelEzra »

digitalcameraman

• Capture Integration
DB like scanner?
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 08:27:47 am »

you would get better tonal results using RAW format. Photoshop is 15 bit, Camera RAW is 16 bit, histogram will have less gaps if camera RAW is used. Try inversion  using inverted curve in camera raw and then adjust this curve to fine-tune the tones.

What is your photographic setup - how do you secure negatives infront of the lens?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178056\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Try taking a master negative or one with a macbeth or grey scale in it. With the Leaf scanner years ago this was good way to get a good color balance when scanning negatives. We would set white and black point on the white and black values in the chart. I have gotten great results when scanning trans but negative are the toughest because there is no real look up table that works with all negatives they way they were processed differently. The scanner companies always struggled with negative look up tables because of this wide variable too.

Good Luck.

Chris Snipes
Image Productions, Inc
www.imageproduction.com
chris@imageproduction.com

Phase One Digital Cameras

Demo P45 Plus H 8,000 captures

Phase One Test Studio Florida
Chris Snipes
Sales Manager Capture Integ

lance_schad

DB like scanner?
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 01:16:02 pm »

I Have a question...
I would like use my P25 for make the riproduction of my negatives archives...
I tryed with Slide and there are not a lot of problem, The problem is with negatives.
The inversision negtaive - Positive with photoshop, is not really good.
the Istogram result very bad with a lot of "strap" ? "not linear"? I don' know the tecnical word in english.

Do You think that it will be possible make a profile inversion for negative with terget IT8 for the Back? Are there other possibility?

Best regards
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
One way I have worked with using a digital camera (scanning back & capture back) in the past to work with color negatives was to capture them as a 16bit TIFFs, and then use Silverfast  to do the conversion . I would then open the 16 bit TIFFs in Silverfast and then use their negative lookup tables.
I have not done this in a while,and do not what their current lineup is , but it may be worth a look.

Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
[a href=\"http://www.captureintegration.com]Capture Integration , Phase One Dealer of the Year[/url]
lance@captureintegration.com
LANCE SCHAD - DIGITAL TRANSITIONS
Pages: [1]   Go Up