Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using Lightroom from 2 computers  (Read 2931 times)

Jim Z

Using Lightroom from 2 computers
« on: February 28, 2008, 09:59:15 am »

I do about half my image editing at home and half at my store office.  For that reason I keep my image files on an external drive that travels with me.  

Right now it seems I can't even though I have my Lightroom database on the external as well as the images.  Hope there is something easy to fix this.

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 02:13:20 pm »

Could you give some more details please? When you start LR, what is happening with the "select catalog" dialogue? David

Jim Z

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 02:29:49 pm »

Sure,  When I open Lightroom and click on previous import I see the last images I imported and opened the last time on that computer.  I do not see the images that I imported while working on the other computer at home.

Example:  This morning I imported 800 images and worked on some.  When I plugged my hard drive in and fired up Lightroom here they are not there.  I tried navigating to the Lightroom Database.lrcat and tried to import but it then says I can't import because it's already open.  I'm hoping I'm just doing something stupid and have it pointing to the wrong place somewhere but....

Jim Z

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 02:32:49 pm »

Ok, just figured it out.  I had to go and open and select the file from the backup folder.  I had thought it would just automatically open the latest but I guess when you move from one computer to the other it's just a bit different... thanks for your time.

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 05:44:22 am »

Ok, just figured it out.  I had to go and open and select the file from the backup folder.  I had thought it would just automatically open the latest but I guess when you move from one computer to the other it's just a bit different... thanks for your time.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178050\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No, that doesn't sound right. When I move to my second computer it's just like I plugged back into the first. I'm a bit slow today, so all I can think of is
1) have you got your "Database Previews.lrdata" on the portable hard drive with your catalog?
2) Are  you sure you are opening the catalog on the portable hard drive? (preferences/general/default catalog: prompt me when starting Lightroom). David

Jim Z

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 03:29:11 pm »

1) have you got your "Database Previews.lrdata" on the portable hard drive with your catalog?
2) Are  you sure you are opening the catalog on the portable hard drive? (preferences/general/default catalog: prompt me when starting Lightroom). David
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178188\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

1)  Yes
2)  I used to have it open the most recent but now have it set to prompt me as you suggest and all is well.

Thanks very much for the help.

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up