Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya or canon1ds mark3???  (Read 3810 times)

stacibeth

Mamiya or canon1ds mark3???
« on: February 27, 2008, 10:57:08 pm »

I am upgrading my system and don't know which way to go. When it comes to shooting architecture and interiors which would be best, the mamiya zd, the mamiya RZ67 Pro IID with a Tilt/Shift , or the canon 1ds mark3.

I just rented the cambo wide ds with a p25 back which is unbelievable!! But wanted to know what you guys think of the other options. And how they all compare to eachother.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks
Stacy

Lester

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 11:17:00 pm »

It all depend on what works for you. Since you shoot architecture and interiors, the Mamiyas will work for you the best, you do not need a fast moving camera for your type of work.

I do have the P45 with the Mamiya 645, I also have the 1Ds Mk3, since I do shoot mostly glamour and fashion, the Canon work best for me. I do need a fast camera for that type of work. But for slower moving or non-moving projects, the P45 cannot be beat.

I am upgrading my system and don't know which way to go. When it comes to shooting architecture and interiors which would be best, the mamiya zd, the mamiya RZ67 Pro IID with a Tilt/Shift , or the canon 1ds mark3.

I just rented the cambo wide ds with a p25 back which is unbelievable!! But wanted to know what you guys think of the other options. And how they all compare to eachother.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks
Stacy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177883\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I am a old fart, over 60

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 11:22:12 pm »

Nothing will come close to the system you already rented. Besides, this topic has been beaten to death over and over in this forum.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 02:20:48 am »

Nothing will come close to the system you already rented. Besides, this topic has been beaten to death over and over in this forum.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177891\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Right.

stefan marquardt

• http://www.stefanmarquardt-architekturbild.de
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 03:15:28 am »

stacy,
i shoot architecture, interior and furniture most of the time with the ZD and the 5D. these are my findings:  I am still looking for a better/perfect system, but cant realy see ONE system for both fields of work. while quite similar, architecture and interiors idealy require different cameras. as you know, architecture can be shoot  with a cambo/silvestrie... without problems since DOF is quite large and things are usualy more than a few yard away. so focusing is not so crucial. with interiors one sometime needs everything in focus but a lot of time you want also a thin DOF and here exact focus is needed. this is more easily done with a ZD or canon typ of camera. I find the focus-confirmation on the ZD to be very helpful!
also, I find myself often in a hurry shooting interiors (limited granted time to shoot), so a cambo-setup would be to slow for me.
when I have the choice, I always pick the ZD over the 5d (wich I only use with the sigma 12-24). there are a lot of lenses available for the mamiya (old schneider curtagon, zeiss jena, hasselblad, russian/ukrain lenses, apo-rodagons - all with adapters) but still I feel very limited at the wide and shift side. When you think of using an RZ for architecture/interior I cant imagine how you would cope with the even less wide lensselection because of the crop-factor).
One negative side of the ZD: with interiors I mostly end up with exposure time  between 2 and 8 seconds - and these are the limits already for the ZD. over 8-10 seconds the files are useless. my heart sinks every time I have to take pics of dark interiors.

one cam/lens combo to look out for, might be the 1DSIII with the new nikon 24mm shift lens, if that lens proves to be a winner (and if you can adapt it to the canon).
the canon with the 24mm shift, the 35mm pentax/zork and the sigma 12-24 would be a pretty good and not to expensive ALLROUND architecture/interior setup - for faster shooting but with slighty less resolution and (quite a bit) less dynamic range than the alternative:

if you can aford two systems, I would consider an mf back (that has no problems with exposures over 10 seconds) and which you can quickly change from a cambo... to mamiya... (or whatever makes).

stefan
stefan marquardt
stefanmarquardt.de arch

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 03:42:18 am »

Not to beat this topic into the ground, but the main issue I see and have tested with respect to the ZD (I assume you mean the ZD back to fit the RZ) is that exposures beyond even 2 secs become less than ideal quality wise. The same sensor is in the ZD back as the Aptus 22 and the Aptus files at 20 secs are flawless, 30 secs only show minor artifacts that LC11 eliminates. For many types of architecture, longer exposures are just the norm. You are better off with the Canon or a higher quality digital back than the ZD back. And yes, other backs can be had for very good prices, especially 22MP backs.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177898\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I gave up on ZD due to problems I encountered with it (see my recent post in these forums). Thus the choice for me was to either return to image quality of DSLRs, or to go for a digital back such as Leaf or Phase One.

Prices depend on your geographical locations and what agents can offer you. My search led me to compare the Leaf Aptus 65 and Phase One P30. These were in my case not much different in cost to a refurbished Aptus 22 due to the smaller crop sensors. However the sensors are not that much different in size than the larger sensors (the larger are also crops from 645 size); 44x33mm vs. 48x36mm, or 1.26x vs. 1.16 crop factors).

The Leaf Aptus 65 has 28.6MP and same image quality and new technology as Leaf Aptus 75. The P30 has slight more MPs than Aptus 65. I paid not much more for a new Aptus 65 with three year warranty than I would have paid for a refurbished Aptus 22 with one year warranty. Wide angles may or may not be a problem. I invested in the Mamiya 28mm wich together with the Aptus 65 was less than a used Aptus 75. This gives me 35mm equivalence to 22mm wide angle, compared to the 25mm I had with the ZD & 35mm lens, and also a newer technology sensor with better high ISO performance than Aptus 22.

The Aptus 65 and Mamiya 28mm are still new to me. I have yet only used them during three weeks travels to Bangkok, India and Sweden but am so far very pleased with their performance. Long exposures up to around 30 seconds at ISO 50 are very clean. ISO 800 has noise but due to the 28.6MP it is fine grained noise.

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 03:55:59 am by Anders_HK »

NBP

• http://
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 04:01:02 am »

It's like Groundhog Day around here sometimes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up