Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 1Ds Mark III caution  (Read 8524 times)

seanw

1Ds Mark III caution
« on: February 27, 2008, 01:38:07 pm »

First let me say that I have always been a Canon fan and have never had a single problem with any camera or lens. That is until the 1Ds Mark III.

I think it's a great camera, but after the issues I have had with mine, I feel I should strongly caution anyone considering buying this camera.

I bought mine new from B&H and right out of the box I noticed the viewfinder alignment problem. I decided not to return it but rather send it to Canon for repair. After receiving it back I then noticed hotspots during long exposures. I just found out from Canon that it needs a new sensor.

I know through this forum alone that many have had the viewfinder issue and at least one other person has needed a sensor replacement. And who knows how many other people outside of this forum have had problems.

At this level of camera, these types of issues are unacceptable IMHO. I paid for a brand new fully functioning camera and now will end up with one that has been taken apart twice and rebuilt. Not to mention the time wasted on repairs and not having the camera in time for an important photoshoot.

I honestly think if you buy a 1Ds Mark III you are taking a gamble on whether or not it will function properly. I would recommend waiting at least several more months or until Canon can get its act together.

witz

• http://www.chriswitzke.com
1Ds Mark III caution
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 03:56:21 pm »

First let me say that I have always been a Canon fan and have never had a single problem with any camera or lens. That is until the 1Ds Mark III.

I think it's a great camera, but after the issues I have had with mine, I feel I should strongly caution anyone considering buying this camera.

I bought mine new from B&H and right out of the box I noticed the viewfinder alignment problem. I decided not to return it but rather send it to Canon for repair. After receiving it back I then noticed hotspots during long exposures. I just found out from Canon that it needs a new sensor.

I know through this forum alone that many have had the viewfinder issue and at least one other person has needed a sensor replacement. And who knows how many other people outside of this forum have had problems.

At this level of camera, these types of issues are unacceptable IMHO. I paid for a brand new fully functioning camera and now will end up with one that has been taken apart twice and rebuilt. Not to mention the time wasted on repairs and not having the camera in time for an important photoshoot.

I honestly think if you buy a 1Ds Mark III you are taking a gamble on whether or not it will function properly. I would recommend waiting at least several more months or until Canon can get its act together.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177757\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It does not matter what you buy, you still have the chance of a problem. NOTHING is completely reliable. The sky is always falling if your always looking at it. There are pros and cons to every product.... and products of such a high level of technology and leading edge are always going to be prone to QA issues.

From what I here, Canon is doing it's best to solve the issues that some people are having. I personally feel that they should overnight a NEW camera to those that have the problem and refurb the faulty cameras.

As for the warning.... people are going to take the risk and buy it anyway.

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. Have a credit card ready to purchase a backup. ( actually... anyone making a living with any tool should have a backup anyways. )

sojournerphoto

1Ds Mark III caution
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 05:44:11 pm »

In the UK I thib=nk buyer protection runs to a refund or new camera if the goods are not of 'merchantable' quality.

edorm

1Ds Mark III caution
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 07:48:11 pm »

I thought B&H had some type of replacement guaranty. Would it have been possible to return it to B&H, ask for a replacement, and then let them deal with Canon?

djgarcia

• http://improbablystructuredlayers.net
1Ds Mark III caution
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 10:35:27 pm »

Well, as one of the "offended victims", having sent mine twice to the repair center, today I received my 1DsIII registration package, including a 3-day turnaround repair sticker. It would've been nice a month ago, but what the heck, better late than never  .

But now that my 1DsIII is running as expected, I'm a happy camper. I love this camera, in spite of Canon's occasionally annoying shortcomings on the customer support policies. OTOH I have found Canon personnel very helpful and forthcoming.

The thing to keep in mind is, the problems with the 1DsIII (setting aside the AF in the 1DIII) have been strictly component or assembly line failures and not design flaws.

The next three weeks will be my real test.
Over-Equipped Snapshooter - EOS 1dsII &

seanw

1Ds Mark III caution
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 09:33:03 am »

It does not matter what you buy, you still have the chance of a problem. NOTHING is completely reliable. The sky is always falling if your always looking at it. There are pros and cons to every product.... and products of such a high level of technology and leading edge are always going to be prone to QA issues.

From what I here, Canon is doing it's best to solve the issues that some people are having. I personally feel that they should overnight a NEW camera to those that have the problem and refurb the faulty cameras.

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. Have a credit card ready to purchase a backup. ( actually... anyone making a living with any tool should have a backup anyways. )
seanw 

This may be true, but I've never experienced or heard of any problems like these with Canon's less expensive cameras such as the 20D, 30D, 40D or 5D. So obviously they have the capability to produce cameras with less problems. And one problem would be more understandable than having two, not to mention the other people having issues. You are probably right that most people will just go ahead regardless, but I felt I should at least let people know. Honestly if I had read about all of these issues I personally would have waited. So maybe this will be of help to someone.

I agree that Canon should send a replacement camera, but I've asked and they refused.

I thought B&H had some type of replacement guaranty. Would it have been possible to return it to B&H, ask for a replacement, and then let them deal with Canon?

B&H has a 15day return policy and that's it. I did some initial test shots during that time but didn't discover the problems until after. I contacted them and let them know about the situation and asked for a replacement or to let me return it. I just got a standard reply saying they would not accept my return. I have bought a lot from B&H over the years and honestly expected them to be more helpful. It's not like I bought a $200 camera and dropped it in a river or something. I'm left with the impression that they just don't care about their customers or quality of products. I won't be buying from them anymore.

But enough said - I did not mean this to sound like a rant. As I said originally I do think it's a great camera. Just wanted to share my experience so anyone considering buying one can make an informed decision and be prepared in the event it would need to be sent for repair (and hopefully this would be unlikely).

matt4626

1Ds Mark III caution
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 02:53:49 pm »

Early shipments of the 5D had dirt in the view finder. Mine was sent back to Canon a few weeks after I purchased it. It was returned quickly and has worked great.
IMHO Canon design and Canon production are in two different worlds.

Henry Goh

1Ds Mark III caution
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 03:05:12 pm »

I know how one gets very irritated when after spending so much money and anticipating anxiously only to receive a less than stellar camera.  I certainly would be angry.  However, after receiving mine and using/learning the camera for the past 3 days, I can say that my s/n: 61xxxx body with firmware 1.0.6 is perfect.  No viewfinder alignment issue, no hot spots, no dust out of the box etc.  Tonight I just finished micro-adjusting 4 Canon lenses and even my cheap 50mm f/1.8 can now be shot wide open and get crisp sharp focus at the focussed point.  My 70-200mm f/4 lens did not even need calibrating yet it was so scary sharp.  I think in the case of using Canon lenses, the micro-adjustment feature alone is worth plenty.  Unfortunately this feature does not work with 3rd party lenses mounted using adapters.... sigh...

djgarcia

1Ds Mark III caution
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 06:55:40 pm »

It does however work with Conurus-converted Zeiss Contax N lenses .

sojournerphoto

1Ds Mark III caution
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 07:37:47 pm »

I know how one gets very irritated when after spending so much money and anticipating anxiously only to receive a less than stellar camera.  I certainly would be angry.  However, after receiving mine and using/learning the camera for the past 3 days, I can say that my s/n: 61xxxx body with firmware 1.0.6 is perfect.  No viewfinder alignment issue, no hot spots, no dust out of the box etc.  Tonight I just finished micro-adjusting 4 Canon lenses and even my cheap 50mm f/1.8 can now be shot wide open and get crisp sharp focus at the focussed point.  My 70-200mm f/4 lens did not even need calibrating yet it was so scary sharp.  I think in the case of using Canon lenses, the micro-adjustment feature alone is worth plenty.  Unfortunately this feature does not work with 3rd party lenses mounted using adapters.... sigh...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178288\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

How many of your lenses needed a non-zero calibration. I've just got my Ds3 and plan on calibrating mine when my L Plate arrives from the US. At present my 85 1.8 seems OK on handheld shots.

Cheers

Mike

Lester

1Ds Mark III caution
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 09:34:35 pm »

Like dirty Harry say, "Do you feel lucky?" Thank god I was lucky

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177791\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I am a old fart, over 60

Henry Goh

1Ds Mark III caution
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 11:24:38 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178329\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ah, because there is communication of the lens with the body.

I guess it would also work with Canon mount Sigma lenses.

djgarcia

1Ds Mark III caution
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 11:27:32 pm »

Yes, it's a lovely thing when things communicate properly with each other ... we humans should learn too .

telyt

1Ds Mark III caution
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 08:57:39 am »

This may be true, but I've never experienced or heard of any problems like these with Canon's less expensive cameras such as the 20D, 30D, 40D or 5D.

Mirror box specs are looser for these cameras than for the 1-series bodies.  Priority is on AF function, accuracy of manual focus with these bodies is a crap shoot.   You might get a good one w/o cherry-picking but the odds are against it.

witz

• http://www.chriswitzke.com
1Ds Mark III caution
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 09:53:30 am »

Mirror box specs are looser for these cameras than for the 1-series bodies.  Priority is on AF function, accuracy of manual focus with these bodies is a crap shoot.   You might get a good one w/o cherry-picking but the odds are against it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178438\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have noticed my success rate with good focus has increased significatly with the 1ds3 from the 5d.

and I mainly shoot man focus.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
1Ds Mark III caution
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 09:58:26 am »

I would recommend waiting at least several more months or until Canon can get its act together.

I don't think most of us have a choice but to wait anyway----Canon hasn't caught up with demand yet on the 1Ds Mk III anyway.

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
1Ds Mark III caution
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2008, 12:13:59 pm »

And this is the reason Canon keeps messing up.
I thank and congrat SeanW for taking the time to warn us.

It is totally unacceptable.
I don't understand how so many people accept such irresponsible behavior from Canon behalf.

If they can't keep up with the demand, maybe they should train salesman to prep cameras at salepoints, like car companies do. After all 1Ds3 costs more than some economic cars.
I would never accept a new car with the steering case loose or with a dirty windshield,  would you?

Eduardo

I don't think most of us have a choice but to wait anyway----Canon hasn't caught up with demand yet on the 1Ds Mk III anyway.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178445\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

sojournerphoto

1Ds Mark III caution
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2008, 12:45:50 pm »

And this is the reason Canon keeps messing up.
I thank and congrat SeanW for taking the time to warn us.

It is totally unacceptable.
I don't understand how so many people accept such irresponsible behavior from Canon behalf.

If they can't keep up with the demand, maybe they should train salesman to prep cameras at salepoints, like car companies do. After all 1Ds3 costs more than some economic cars.
I would never accept a new car with the steering case loose or with a dirty windshield,  would you?

Eduardo
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178466\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

They seem fairly freely available in the UK. I've not been through mine in detail yet, but I'll check the viewfinder alignment and sensor for hotspots and then get on with life. The problem is really whether they sort it quickly and easily for you. In my experience, new cars in the UK are the same - many come with faults despite pdi prcedures and some dealers sort thema nd some are woeful.

Mike

elitegroup

1Ds Mark III caution
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 11:45:34 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178329\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't suppose you know where I can pick up a Contax C/Y 100mm F2.0 Planar and 21mm F2.8 Distagon both with Canon converted EF mounts ????

I've searched ebay, KEH, B&H, Adorama, Fred Miranda, Pebble Place and 16-9.net but no luck  
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 12:01:20 pm by elitegroup »

djgarcia

1Ds Mark III caution
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2008, 06:57:05 pm »

There's no full EF conversion for C/Y mounts, only for N mounts. You can get manual adapters for C/Y. But those two lenses are hard to find, and then only for a small fortune ...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up