Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing laptop  (Read 1629 times)

NigelC

Replacing laptop
« on: February 27, 2008, 12:32:35 pm »

I've got a relatively simple set-up of a Acer Travelmate laptop for runnning Photoshop CS2/Bridge (1680x1050 display, Centrino 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, ATI Radeon X700, DVI out, external 320GB Hard drive). I've been considering an external monitor for some time and couldn't resist buying an ex display 23" Apple Cinema Screen knocked down to almost half price.

As it didn't have the box or any manual with it I didn't realise the USB/Firewire connections are just to connect the USB outlets in the back of the monitor and aren't needed for the display (my level of IT expertise is very low!). I have now got the 2 screens to operate at their respctive native resolutions but the installation of the ACD USB controller has caused havoc with my external USB HD. It either isn't recognised or I get messages that all data in the folder I was trying to open in Bridge have been lost. I will try to uninstall the USB controller but suspect serious incompatibilities.

The laptop is only 30 months old but I was thinking of migrating to MacBook Pro eventually (don't like what I have seen of Vista). As a new generation of MacBooks has just come on the market, there are some good clearance deals around on the older ones. Do you think a 2.2Ghz 15" would be adequate? - I can easily up the RAM to 3/4GB. My files are either 5D raw or film scanned with a Coolscan V/Canon 9950F. Also how adequate is the 1400x900 display on the smaller MacBook Pro? (or the 1680x1050 on the standard 17" model come to that)

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
Replacing laptop
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 01:31:47 pm »

Did your external drive's drive letter change? LR and Bridge rely on drive letter designation in Windows - you can re-arrange these using Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Computer Management, then expand Disk Management; or Run diskmgmt.mmc

I would recommend ordering the new Dual-Core model - all current iterations of Adobe's software use and greatly benefit from multiple cores - I've put an order in for the 2.2Ghz with the 7200 RPM drive option - I'll upgrade memory via 3rd party, $400 for a 2 GB memory upgrade is insane!

hth - John

zobeleye

• zobeleye
Replacing laptop
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 03:24:27 am »

hey there,
i´m working with a macbookpro, that´s upgraded to 4gb ram.
it´s working perfectly fine and reasonably quick as long as you don´t work with capture NX.
but for colours , i wouldn´t rely on the LED screen, cause no matter what calibration tool or programm you use, you´ll always get  magenta tinted colours and it´ll always be to bright. you can turn it down , but then it´s too dark to work comfortably in other applications.
that´s why i´m working with an EIZO 24CG, which works perfectly with the built in graphicscard, cause it doesn´t has to rely on it.
that´s it for me.
cheers, zobelinski
mac pro 32 gb,eizoCG318,LR,nikon,fuji,Pentax645Z
http://zobeleye.com/

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
Replacing laptop
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 06:47:43 am »

I have a MacBook Pro w/3GB RAM that I purchased in 2/07. I upgraded to Leopard the day it became available (Recommend a clean install). I have a Lacie FW800 1 TB drive attached for backup and photos. Both the internal 160GB drive (aftermarket upgrade) and the Lacie are backed up to drives connected to Airport Extreme hardwired to my home LAN.

When I'm home, I have a Dell 27" wide FP display attached for more screen real estate which is especially handy if you run multiple apps at the same time. Both displays are calibrated using EyeOne.

It's a great set up and works well for LR and PS CS3.

For the real "heavy lifting" I have a MacPro 8-core with 4 TB of total storage between the for internal HDs, a Lacie 1.2TB Extreme disk external and an Iomega Ultra Max 1.5TB FW800 external drive.

Cheers.

Bud James
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww
Pages: [1]   Go Up