Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Santa Fe mid-April  (Read 4660 times)

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Santa Fe mid-April
« on: February 27, 2008, 12:00:30 pm »

I will be with a corporate group in Santa Fe 4/17 - 4/21.  I've been asked to take a small sub-group on a lanscape photography shoot / workshop.  These will be beginners, most with P&S cameras, although there might be a few others besides myself with DSLRs and tripods.  I'm guessing 5-15 people.

I arrive the 17th and plan to scope out some locations.  The shoot will take place Sunday morning, 4/20.  We'll be staying at the Inn & Spa at Loretto, but could easily arrange for transportation.  

I was hoping to get the group out to the field early (6-7am?), then later in the morning  (9-10am?) move back into town for some architecture/street shooting.

Any recommendations on location?  I don't expect many will want to walk miles to get shots...

viswan

Santa Fe mid-April
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 02:59:54 pm »

The church at Chimayo is a classic for photography, also in that area are interesting little stores and things, might be some possible landscapes on the way there and back.  for in town, walk up and around canyon road, especially some of the side streets off of canyon road.  

-Josef
Many of my photos are on Facebook and Fl

Misirlou

• http://
Santa Fe mid-April
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 03:23:06 pm »

I once encountered a fairly serious snow storm in Santa Fe in mid April. Not a likely occurence, but if does happen, you might get a chance at some spectacular photos.

Adam Schallau

• www.AdamSchallau.com
Santa Fe mid-April
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 04:38:00 pm »

Your group won't have to walk far to get good shots in Santa Fe. It think if you walk Canyon Road and then move over to the area around the plaza you will find plenty to shoot. I would try to avoid visiting the local churches until after noon to respect the services that are taking place.

Misirlou

• http://
Santa Fe mid-April
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 04:46:53 pm »

Does Santa Fe have a market set up in the plaza on Sundays, like many other towns in NM? If so, there will be good photo ops, and good teaching cases too.

Adam Schallau

• www.AdamSchallau.com
Santa Fe mid-April
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 05:35:16 pm »

Does Santa Fe have a market set up in the plaza on Sundays, like many other towns in NM? If so, there will be good photo ops, and good teaching cases too.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177800\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

On the north side of the plaza is the Palace of the Governors where you can find Native Americans artists and craftsmen selling their wares. Remember to ask permission before taking their picture.

Willard

Santa Fe mid-April
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 08:05:57 pm »

There's a place I have been wanting to visit.  Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks National Monument.  It is probably about an hour or so from Santa Fe near the Cochiti Pueblo.  That is one of the characteristics of the southwest, something an hour away is considered close.  Google it and you will see the official site as well as others' hiking experiences.

Adam Schallau

• www.AdamSchallau.com
Santa Fe mid-April
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 11:43:02 am »

There's a place I have been wanting to visit.  Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks National Monument.  It is probably about an hour or so from Santa Fe near the Cochiti Pueblo.  That is one of the characteristics of the southwest, something an hour away is considered close.  Google it and you will see the official site as well as others' hiking experiences.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Tent Rocks is a great place it's just too bad that their hours of operation are so restrictive. Another place that is similar to Tent Rocks is Plaza Blanca (aka the White Place) near Abiquiu. [a href=\"http://www.recapturephoto.com/lightbox/index.php?module=search&pId=102&keyword=Plaza+Blanca&search_in=ALL&search_fields%5B%5D=searchable&search_fields%5B%5D=iptc&operand=ALL&search=++++++++SEARCH+++++++]Here are a few of my pictures from Plaza Blanca.[/url]

Hank

Santa Fe mid-April
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 12:56:37 pm »

I will be with a corporate group in Santa Fe 4/17 - 4/21.  I've been asked to take a small sub-group on a lanscape photography shoot / workshop.  These will be beginners, most with P&S cameras, although there might be a few others besides myself with DSLRs and tripods.  I'm guessing 5-15 people.

I arrive the 17th and plan to scope out some locations.  The shoot will take place Sunday morning, 4/20.  We'll be staying at the Inn & Spa at Loretto, but could easily arrange for transportation. 

I was hoping to get the group out to the field early (6-7am?), then later in the morning  (9-10am?) move back into town for some architecture/street shooting.

Any recommendations on location?  I don't expect many will want to walk miles to get shots...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177732\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Most folks go to Santa Fe with visions of great shots of the jewelers on the plaza.  Not.  Those that I know are sick of cameras stuck in their face, and they know more about model releases and shooting fees than most photographers.  They're going to ask that you not shoot, demand a shooting fee, or demand that you buy some of their products in exchange for photos. Watching what they deal with every day, I don't blame them a bit.

If it fits your schedule and routine, I've got some terrific long exposure shots of the deserted plaza and other landmarks at night.  You can have a lot of fun with streaking headlights and tail lights or leave them out.   Not suitable for a class unless everyone has tripods and releases, but a great experience if you're on your own.

You can also have a lot of fun around the plaza shooting into the product displays in store windows while retaining reflections of classic plaza scenes.  Compare and contrast sort of stuff.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Santa Fe mid-April
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 08:04:47 pm »

Thank you for all the responses.  

Looks like I'll scope out heading to Chimayo, stopping on the way depending on light.  Then on the way back walk areas of downtown Santa Fe.

There might also be several opportunities right where we are staying.  

Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up