Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Markins Ballhead Question  (Read 6205 times)

Killer Angel

Markins Ballhead Question
« on: February 27, 2008, 01:31:07 am »

I was just wondering on why on most people who get the Markins Ballhead,don;t get the Markins Quick Release(QR)plate.Mostly,they get the RRS Quick Release(QR)plate to be partnered with the Markins Ballhead.What is the reason for this?What does the RRS Quick Release(QR)plate have that the Markins doesn't have?Or what can the RRS Quick Release(QR)plate can do that the Markins can't do?
Thanks.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 11:26:07 am »

Unless I am mistaken, you most likely had in mind a combination of the RRS clamps (the part that is fixed to a ballhead) and camera QR plates (that are fixed to a camera). The RRS clamps have a quick release levers, vs. tightening screws in case of the Markins clamps. Some people prefer the speed and easy with which you can operate the clamp with a lever. I have the Markins original clamp and do not find the speed to be an issue for my needs (landscapes).

ternst

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 11:57:01 am »

Yup, what he said - it is for the clamp, which makes a large difference not only in speed but that you know for sure if your camera is secure - with the knobs you don't know for sure how tight it is unless you grab the knob. With the clamp it is tight (when closed) and stays that way unless it is flung open, something that has not ever happened to me with a camera attached in many years of wilderness travel. I've got four or five different brand ballheads (including Markins) and have an RRS clamp on them all...

Tim Ernst in Arkansas
http://www.Cloudland.net

Killer Angel

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 01:32:37 pm »

Yup, what he said - it is for the clamp, which makes a large difference not only in speed but that you know for sure if your camera is secure - with the knobs you don't know for sure how tight it is unless you grab the knob. With the clamp it is tight (when closed) and stays that way unless it is flung open, something that has not ever happened to me with a camera attached in many years of wilderness travel. I've got four or five different brand ballheads (including Markins) and have an RRS clamp on them all...

Tim Ernst in Arkansas
http://www.Cloudland.net
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177731\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If I already have a Markins Ballhead with a Markins Clamp attached,would it still be possible to replace it with a Really Right Stuff Clamp?If yes,what model of RSS Clamp would you suggest that I get?
Thanks.

jd1566

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 05:26:25 pm »

Yes, you can remove it in order to install a RRS lever clamp (may take some force as I believe they are glued with Loctite).  Contact RRS as well as Markins about the conversion - I contacted both a few years ago and they were very helpful..

A few years ago I was going to go for the same solution.. but in the end laziness prevailed and I just went for the RRS 55 ball head.  HOWEVER because of the Markins' height as well as (theoretical) higher load ratio I think that it's a better solution if paired with the RRS lever release clamp.  

As for which Lever release to get.. You have threaded and non-threaded - speak to RRS and they can confirm which one you'll need (probably the threaded one because your markins already has a threaded post).  The other variable is the length of the clamp, but that will depend on what type of lenses you're attaching or how much play you want to move your body around on the clamp.  If you're doing panoramic shots with multiple exposure then get the widest plate possible.

Good luck
B&W photographer - Still lifes, Portrait
Pages: [1]   Go Up