Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New MacBook Pro  (Read 12509 times)

amsp

New MacBook Pro
« on: February 26, 2008, 01:54:28 pm »

jonstewart

New MacBook Pro
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 06:26:29 pm »

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177535\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

...and thank goodness someone gave me a heads up a few days ago. I nearly bought one yesterday!

Time to buy one now then?
J
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

NicholasR

New MacBook Pro
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 06:41:50 pm »

...and thank goodness someone gave me a heads up a few days ago. I nearly bought one yesterday!

Time to buy one now then?
J
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177592\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Time to buy last gen out of the apple refurb store, rather.  2 days enough it was good enough, it still is, at a discount!  Of course, I'm a cheap bastard.

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
New MacBook Pro
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 08:34:04 pm »

Ive been waiting too...apple is really up their own ass these days the upgrade was dissapointing for a pro series model. I expected the 2.5 with L2 6mb cache to be standard, and why the hell at this point in time do I have to pay $100 extra for a 7200rpm hd? That should be standard on a pro machine. At least the standard  video card is 256mb 8600 now.

Rant over.  

jonstewart

New MacBook Pro
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 03:04:51 am »

Ive been waiting too...apple is really up their own ass these days the upgrade was dissapointing for a pro series model. I expected the 2.5 with L2 6mb cache to be standard, and why the hell at this point in time do I have to pay $100 extra for a 7200rpm hd? That should be standard on a pro machine. At least the standard  video card is 256mb 8600 now.

Rant over. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177608\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The 2.5 with 6mb cache appears to be standard in UK.

As regards refurbs... waste of time here in the UK. There is at present very little choice. I can get a good educational discount on MY customised specification, so refurbs might work for you guys in the States, but not for me!

Definitely agree about the hard drive though.
Jon Stewart

Steve_Townsend

• Commercial Property Photography
New MacBook Pro
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 06:12:16 am »

I paid the extra 100GBP for the 7200rpm HD in the last series.  Had to wait five weeks for it to arrived though.  Unimpressed.

Steve

Bernd B.

New MacBook Pro
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 07:56:54 am »

Would you buy the 15 inch with glossy screen or matte?

My old 12 inchs screen looks black once you are outside on a sunny day.

Bernd

jonstewart

New MacBook Pro
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 09:10:43 am »

Bernd
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177679\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Opinion seems to favour the matte screen. Too many problems with saturation and reflection with the glossy screen, so I've read.

BTW Apples a bit cheeky with the hard drive thing;  you can no upgrade to a 7200 hard drive for GBP30, but it's a 200 rather than 250 Gb

(I wonder can I use 250 on a single day shoot! Maybe I should get a Lacie and offload when I fill the whole hard drive!)
Jon Stewart

Bernd B.

New MacBook Pro
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 09:27:16 am »

How important is a 7200 rpm disk when shooting with my H3D39 and a FW800 cable? Will a 5400 rpm modell slow down the whole setup? I plan to buy the 2,4 Ghz model and of course upgrade to 4GB ram. I shoot people and portraits. Can I expect images to pop up immediatley even after a burst of, lets say, 40 shots?

Bernd

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
New MacBook Pro
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 10:11:15 am »

Bernd
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would go with a 15" with a matte screen.  The 17" are quite large and most laptop cases and bags are geared towards the 15".  The matte screen is like a mirror and is quite difficult to get all those annoying art director smudges off of (I hate it when they touch the screen).

Chris Lawery
Capture Integration
[a href=\"http://www.captureintegration.com]Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year[/url]

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell  

johnkraus

• http://www.johnkrausphotography.com
New MacBook Pro
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 10:51:28 am »

Chris you really meant the matte screen is like a mirror or did you mean the glossy screen?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 10:52:37 am by johnkraus »

Bernd B.

New MacBook Pro
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 10:55:52 am »

I would go with a 15" with a matte screen.  The 17" are quite large and most laptop cases and bags are geared towards the 15".  The matte screen is like a mirror and is quite difficult to get all those annoying art director smudges off of (I hate it when they touch the screen).

Chris Lawery
Capture Integration
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177700\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Chris.

Any comments on disk speed 5400 vs. 7200 for shooting tethered with my H3D?

Bernd

jonstewart

New MacBook Pro
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 11:03:46 am »

I would go with a 15" with a matte screen.  The 17" are quite large and most laptop cases and bags are geared towards the 15".  The matte screen is like a mirror and is quite difficult to get all those annoying art director smudges off of (I hate it when they touch the screen).

Chris Lawery
Capture Integration
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177700\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would have thought the glossy screen was like a mirror. I have a 24" matte screen in front of me that's filthy, but you really only notice when it's turned off / screensaver / powerdown.

BTW Chris, when's the new Phase / Mamiya AFD3 available... Phase One europe wouldn't discuss it with me yesterday at Focus on Imaging... In fact, when they learnt I'd bought my back from you, they didn't want to discuss anything. Friendly Bunch!

(Yair was far nicer; lovely to meet him in person, and put a face to the posts)
Jon Stewart

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
New MacBook Pro
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 11:33:01 am »

Thanks Chris.

Any comments on disk speed 5400 vs. 7200 for shooting tethered with my H3D?

Bernd
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177714\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have swapped my HD for a 7200RPM. I find it is better (read noticeably faster) with my CF39. Especially when I also edit and process on the same machine.

I simply bought a loose 2.5" 7200RPM disk and installed it myself which at that time was cheaper than buying a 7200RPM machine with Apple.

Still I find the MBP too slow. I am waiting for either a dual cpu or Intel quad core laptop before I upgrade my current 15" MBP.

I seem to be one of the few that have a glossy screen with which I am perfectly happy (hardly ever use it in the sun).

jonstewart

New MacBook Pro
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 11:38:57 am »

Still I find the MBP too slow. I am waiting for either a dual cpu or Intel quad core laptop before I upgrade my current 15" MBP.

I seem to be one of the few that have a glossy screen with which I am perfectly happy (hardly ever use it in the sun).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177722\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It'll be interesting to see if and when Apple go for multiprocessor notebooks. You'd imagine there'd need to be some careful load sensitive throttling and better batteries to ensure that when you do need to use it off the mains, it lasts more than 10 minutes!

BTW, did you have any problem calibrating your glossy screen?

(Kind of academic question though, I just ordered the matte one)
Jon Stewart

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
New MacBook Pro
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 11:42:19 am »

Indeed batterylife will be an issue. I also hope they can improve on the lifetime of the batteries. Mine only lasted about a year.

No problem calibrating the screen. Just as smoothly as any other screen. I also don't have the dreaded 'yellow' corners.

Bernd B.

New MacBook Pro
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 12:13:48 pm »

I have swapped my HD for a 7200RPM. I find it is better (read noticeably faster) with my CF39. Especially when I also edit and process on the same machine.

I simply bought a loose 2.5" 7200RPM disk and installed it myself which at that time was cheaper than buying a 7200RPM machine with Apple.

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I once investigated about replacing fan and heat sink of my old PB 12´and decided not do do it. I would have to unmantle the whole notebook: hard disk, motherboard, modem etc.

How about changing the HD in the current MBP? How about warranty?

(edit: I found a description on [a href=\"http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/85.0.0.html]http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/85.0.0.html[/url]. Too difficult. And Im sure it will affect warranty.)

Your statement will at least let me walk into a store and look at a glossy MBP screen. I once saw a glossy screen on a Sony Vaio some years ago and it looked as brilliant as a Cibachrome print. Only the MacBook screens are disappointing.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 01:19:27 pm by Bernd B. »

LA30

New MacBook Pro
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 01:41:08 pm »

I bought a 160gb HD 7200 and put it in my 2.4 Ghz 15" myself (last generation LED model).  At the time it was about $200.00  It is better for large transfers, like 20-30 gigs but for the small stuff I am unimpressed.  I don't think that I would see a difference shooting tethered.  The battery life suffers some, not a lot but would I do it again?  NO.  I would run a large 5400 empty.  Like a 200 gb drive with no more than 80 gbs on it.  It would almost be a wash in speed and you would get better battery life.  Check Barefeats.com for laptop HD reviews.  Glossy screen is the way to go.

Ken
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 01:41:52 pm by kenscott30 »

samuel_js

New MacBook Pro
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2008, 03:45:51 pm »

The glossy screens are really impressive. Very crisp and detailed. Amazing contrast! But, like you said here it's like a mirror. That's why I choose the mate screen, not as vivid but much better and practical.
 I work on location thetered to a MBP with 3 Gig Ram and it's been really stable. I changed the internal drive (isn't that hard) with another 5400 and, to be honest I can see the improvement of having a 7200 in my G5 but the MBP doesn't seem to need 7200 rpm.
The batteries took about 2 hours before they run out last session. You can decrease the brightness in the screen to save power. It makes difference!

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
New MacBook Pro
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 04:52:30 pm »

Chris you really meant the matte screen is like a mirror or did you mean the glossy screen?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I meant that the glossy screen is like a mirror.  Sorry about that.

Chris Lawery
Capture Integration
[a href=\"http://www.captureintegration.com]Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year[/url]

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell  
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 04:54:11 pm by clawery »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up