Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 1ds MKIII Stock problems--why?  (Read 9009 times)

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
1ds MKIII Stock problems--why?
« on: February 25, 2008, 10:11:06 pm »

Does anyone really know why you can't buy an MKIII right now? None of the majors have them, that being Samys, B&H, nor Adorama. they all say 'back ordered."

I wonder if this has something to do with the alignment problem and Canon wanting to make sure their next run doesn't have that problem.

I'm actually waiting for the "back ordered" stock to come back just do I don't get one of those misaligned cameras. I do not want one and I surely don't need to be dealing with returning an 8K camera the day after I get it.

So in summary, does anyone have information on exactly why there is such a backorder?

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 06:39:19 am »

Anyone who does have such information would lose their job if they released it. Anyone who "releases" such information is only speculating; there is a >99% probability they don't really know anything more than you. Asking such questions is pointless.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 09:54:15 am »

Doug and Jonathan,

My dealer here in Toronto (probably Canada's "#1" Pro retail outlet) explained it to me very succinctly - and it makes sense - from the time the camera was annouonced in August till it shipped end-November, they built-up a substantial order list. People are served in order of the timing of their deposits. From the outset, they received a small fraction of the cameras relative to the number of deposits. More cameras keep trickling-in from Canon, but more names keep adding to the list, so the movement is like a conveyer belt which receives merchandise at the back end and delivers at the front end, hence the names and faces change but the space between doesn't change much. So until the rate of shipments catches up with the rate of orders, the wait-list will persist. That will be alleviated when orders slow-down or production accelerates or both.  The best you can do is order from a dealer who will put you in a trustworthy queue. From what I hear around here, the estimated queue length is in the range of 4 to 8 weeks, but I could be wrong on this.

Mark
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 09:56:18 am by MarkDS »
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

witz

• http://www.chriswitzke.com
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 10:24:22 am »

My dealer here in louisville has a few on the shelves as of this morning....
I just talked to them and he's putting one a side for you if you call.

Murphys Camera 502-485-1500
ask for Tim.

I've spent a lot of money there over the last 10 years and they've never done me wrong.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 12:54:37 pm »

I'm well aware that when Canon releases a new 1-series body there is more demand than supply; I waited several weeks for each of mine. But speculating about whether viewfinder alignment problems or other issues are exacerbating the situation is pointless for the reasons I outlined in my previous post. If Canon is delaying shipment of stock to re-check viewfinder alignment or whatever, they aren't going to tell us; anyone who leaked such information would be fired.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 01:56:02 pm »

I'm well aware that when Canon releases a new 1-series body there is more demand than supply; I waited several weeks for each of mine. But speculating about whether viewfinder alignment problems or other issues are exacerbating the situation is pointless for the reasons I outlined in my previous post. If Canon is delaying shipment of stock to re-check viewfinder alignment or whatever, they aren't going to tell us; anyone who leaked such information would be fired.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177523\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

We've heard that the adjustment needed for correcting the alignment problem is quickly done. I'm not a camera production engineer, but I find it hard to believe the preventative measures would constitute a big-time delay in Canon's production facilities. I agree Canon is most likely to say nothing and fix it - most likely done already while this thread has been in progress; therefore I think the most fundamental reason for the purchase queue is what I explained above. More than that - and even some of that - is of course speculative so I agree that carrying on about this is pointless unless Canon surprises us all with some real candour.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 12:15:56 am »

It's really just a matter of finding the right dealer who has the camera in stock. I bought my 1Ds3 from the most unlikely place -- tigerdirect.com. Don't just think of the most "conventional" camera sources if you really want one. I've also bought two cameras, over the years, from PC Connection. I decided on the spur of the moment to buy my 1Ds3, did a quick search, and the next day I had it in my hot little hands.

dwdallam

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 01:26:47 am »

Anyone who does have such information would lose their job if they released it. Anyone who "releases" such information is only speculating; there is a >99% probability they don't really know anything more than you. Asking such questions is pointless.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177459\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I may agree with you --with one caveat: Do you have any evidence to support your assumptions?

dwdallam

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 01:29:42 am »

My dealer here in louisville has a few on the shelves as of this morning....
I just talked to them and he's putting one a side for you if you call.

Murphys Camera 502-485-1500
ask for Tim.

I've spent a lot of money there over the last 10 years and they've never done me wrong.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177494\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I wonder if they would check the alignment before I buy it? I guess I could ask them to.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 01:30:08 am by dwdallam »

daveman

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 01:41:04 am »

The world rotates around supply and demand. If this camera were freely available there would be an element of competition which would drive prices downward. Therefore it is to the collective retailers' advantage to have limited supply, at first. Of course, corporate profit is also an issue, and Canon will eventually want enough 1Ds MKIII models available to compete with Nikon/Sony etc. But they also realize that the professional with several lenses will not jump ship easily. I am happy that they are pausing to fix some of these issues that have been very bad press for the company. It will be to their advantage to later move forward with new models, to try and cast off some of the negative aspersions associated with their recent effort.
They must realize that they need to do better.
Dave

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 01:48:33 am »

I am happy that they are pausing to fix some of these issues that have been very bad press for the company.

Sorry - but lets be accurate - this is just speculation and unsubstantiated rumour at present.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 02:04:22 am »

Of course it invites speculation when stores were getting cameras in limited amounts, problems were reported, and then, suddenly the supply dries up. You don't have to be much of a speculator to come to reasonable conclusions as to why. And I"m reasonably certain they aren't engaged in a big tease of a product rollout.

dwdallam

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 05:22:30 am »

BTW, as we type, B&H just got the 1DS MKIII in stock. So the waiting is over. I say this because I doubt B&H bought 2-3 cameras. They probably bought 20+.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 05:23:29 am by dwdallam »

witz

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 06:44:27 am »

BTW, as we type, B&H just got the 1DS MKIII in stock. So the waiting is over. I say this because I doubt B&H bought 2-3 cameras. They probably bought 20+.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177662\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

ok.... that's the last time I call my friends at Murphy's to hold a camera for someone here.

you ask why you can't get one... we tell you that "yes.. you can... at this place" and then you continue to act as if you can't get one?

I'm getting the impression that this forum has become a place to complain and not resource for information. I don't see how Michael has put up with it for so long.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 08:35:04 am by witzke »

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 01:06:28 pm »

ok.... that's the last time I call my friends at Murphy's to hold a camera for someone here.

you ask why you can't get one... we tell you that "yes.. you can... at this place" and then you continue to act as if you can't get one?

I'm getting the impression that this forum has become a place to complain and not resource for information. I don't see how Michael has put up with it for so long.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177669\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, several weeks ago someone posted that Murphy's had a Mk III. I called Murphy's right away, and bought the camera, and had it sent over night. I was VERY pleased (and thanked) the person here who alerted me (and I thank you again---love the camera).
Dave G in NJ    

witz

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 01:12:36 pm »

Well, several weeks ago someone posted that Murphy's had a Mk III. I called Murphy's right away, and bought the camera, and had it sent over night. I was VERY pleased (and thanked) the person here who alerted me (and I thank you again---love the camera).
Dave G in NJ    
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177746\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

now I'm feel'n the love... Thanks!

I'm not bag'n on b&h ... I've been buying gear from them since the early 80's.... ( I will bag on adorama though.... they say they have something when you order... then email you that it's going to be a few weeks for it to be in stock... bad bad bad )  

but I support my local store as much as possible.... so they won't go away!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 01:17:09 pm by witzke »

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 01:48:13 pm »

I'm not bag'n on b&h ... I've been buying gear from them since the early 80's.... ( I will bag on adorama though.... they say they have something when you order... then email you that it's going to be a few weeks for it to be in stock... bad bad bad ) 

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177751\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I also use B&H. I live far from a big city, so mail order (or web ordering) is a necessity.
Dave G.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 02:54:48 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177751\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

At least adorama has stopped holding up my order until they could call me and see if there was more money I'd like to spend on useless crap.  (Only had that happen once but it kept me away from them for a long time.)

dwdallam

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2008, 08:58:06 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177669\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I didn't ask you to reserve a camera for me at any camera shop. You simply took that upon yourself. If it inconvenienced you or embarrassed you at your local shop, that's your problem.

I never said nor implied that I would buy the first camera that someone found. And yes, I want an MKIII, and I'm near ready, but if you had read my entire post, you would know I am ALSO waiting for the defective stock to clear.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 09:06:07 pm by dwdallam »

witz

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 09:13:12 pm »

I didn't ask you to reserve a camera for me at any camera shop. You simply took that upon yourself. I never said nor implied that I would buy the first camera that someone found.

I appreciate your help, but I'll make the final decision when and where I shop. The topic wasn't "Help me find a camera to buy RIGHT now." But, rather, "Why are there stock problems?" You assume too much.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177853\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hmm... I spent over 20k at bh last year alone and everytime I place an order I'm treated like anyone else. and I've been buying from them since the early 80's.

your post started out by asking why you could not get a certain product. I replied with the location of one. calling tim and having him hold one was just my way of keeping my word that one was avail.

not a big deal.... but
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up