Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera Raw Tutorial  (Read 67278 times)

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2008, 11:13:45 pm »

I've noticed several of the chapters in my downloads have synchronization problems  with audio in advance of a stuttering video. Is this a download problem? Should I repeat the download?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Upgrade your QuickTime & please read the [a href=\"http://www.luminous-landscape.com/videos/Dwnld_Video-faq.shtml]FAQ[/url]
or you may have too big a picture on too old a computer - but very unlikely

DarkPenguin

Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2008, 11:19:26 pm »

Watch it in VLC.  Quicktime is the tool of the devil.

Marlyn

Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2008, 11:54:59 pm »

Well, Michael and I are planning to get together "soon'ish" to shoot out Lightroom 2.0 video tutorial...that should be "interesting" for a variety of reasons.

Excellent !.

That gives you a chance to redeem yourself from the one failing of the Camera-Raw Video.... I was most disapointed at how conservative your shirt was this time around!  

Now all you have to do is get Michael into one...

Seriously though, look forward to it.

Mark.

method

• http://www.method-photo.co.uk
Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2008, 10:54:43 am »

I am surprised that no one has talked about the chat with the Camera Raw developers. Profiles are mentioned.

That is a big bit of news for some!

Also is the guy who did Raw Shooter Michael Johnson (sp) still in the team?

Pete Ferling

Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2008, 09:27:34 pm »

Well, Michael and I are planning to get together "soon'ish" to shoot out Lightroom 2.0 video tutorial...that should be "interesting" for a variety of reasons.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191345\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Oh yeah, almost forgot that.  It's interesting, the Adobe engineers, discussed about an almost quarterly update of LR and ACR just to keep up with new cameras.  Which also gives opportunity to introduce a few new features.

I quess that would mean we could be seeing future LR tutorial updates?  (I think you should purchase a case of wine... your gonna need it

Pete

Demokrit

• http://
Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2008, 08:18:41 pm »

Congratulations on this excellent tutorial. You guys seem ot get better and better with each tutorial project!!

I have a question:
In several sections of the tutorial, Jeff mentions that it is worthwhile to open and rework old files with newer versions of Adobe Raw, as the software’s ability to process older Raw-files usually improves with every update.

Does this then also imply that it would be useful to reprocess the older Raw-files with a newer version of the DNG-converter to translate them to DNG-files?

Cheers,

Achim

Cheers,

Achim

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2008, 08:29:01 pm »

Does this then also imply that it would be useful to reprocess the older Raw-files with a newer version of the DNG-converter to translate them to DNG-files?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193220\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not sure I follow you. DNG is just a "container" for the original Raw data. So, at least at this time, there's no reason to re-DNG a DNG, but there might very well be a reason to re-render a DNG in a newer version of ACR or LR as it gets better at rendering Raw data.

That isn't to say someday, there might be newer capabilities (say multiple rendering instructions) we might see in say V2 of DNG. But that's not the case today.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2008, 11:23:48 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193220\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

At this point, no...DNG is still at 1.1 and DNG Convertor has really only been updated for new cameras (except for a DNG/XMP bug in 4.4 which was fixed in 4.4.1). So, until such time as DNG undergoes a major rev, no particular reason to rerun DNG Convertor (unless you converted any DNGs with 4.4 specifically).

Even when DNG gets updated, old DNGs would be forwards compatible even in future versions of Camera Raw and Lightroom.

schrodingerscat

Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2008, 11:58:01 pm »

I noticed Jeff saves his image files as Tiffs, and then saves those as zips. I can see where this can save a lot of storage space, but wonder if there may be any potential gotchas in the future. Also wonder if there are any other benefits to saving as a Tiff over a psd, or visa versa.

Considering Mr. Shewe's experience, I think it would be safe to follow his example.

Hopefully he'll weigh in on this, as I sure would like to lighten the load.

Thanks for any feedback.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2008, 12:28:37 am »

I noticed Jeff saves his image files as Tiffs, and then saves those as zips. I can see where this can save a lot of storage space, but wonder if there may be any potential gotchas in the future. Also wonder if there are any other benefits to saving as a Tiff over a psd, or visa versa.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194781\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

TIFF is a publicly documented format, PSD is a private Adobe format...the odds are much better that nothing will happen to TIFF while Adobe is free to change PSD at any time. I started using TIFF when the Photoshop engineers told Bruce Fraser and I that PSD was no longer the native file format of Photoshop and had become the native file format of Creative Suite (meaning all of the Adobe apps, not just Photoshop).

TIFF with ZIP compression is the smallest resulting 16 bit file...PSD saved WITHOUT Backwards Compatibility checked might be a bit smaller, but they won't work in all apps, even Adobe's own Lightroom.

So, I save edited raw files as DNG and edited raster files as TIFF for archival properties...

KeithR

Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2008, 12:35:03 pm »

So, I save edited raw files as DNG and edited raster files as TIFF for archival properties...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194784\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Do you ingest your original raw files as DNG or keep them in their original native(camera) format until you've edited them in LR or ACR(then save as DNG)? Do you keep the any of the native(camera) files seperatly from DNG?
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

schrodingerscat

Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2008, 12:50:19 pm »

TIFF is a publicly documented format, PSD is a private Adobe format...the odds are much better that nothing will happen to TIFF while Adobe is free to change PSD at any time. I started using TIFF when the Photoshop engineers told Bruce Fraser and I that PSD was no longer the native file format of Photoshop and had become the native file format of Creative Suite (meaning all of the Adobe apps, not just Photoshop).

TIFF with ZIP compression is the smallest resulting 16 bit file...PSD saved WITHOUT Backwards Compatibility checked might be a bit smaller, but they won't work in all apps, even Adobe's own Lightroom.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194784\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Jeff.

Once again, another paradigm shift in my work flow, though it does dovetail nicely with the fact I have to go back and redo just about everything thanks to ACR 4.4. The tutorial has been invaluable in getting up to speed.

Cheers

JBradH

Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #92 on: May 27, 2008, 09:24:48 pm »

Hi guys,

Joined the forum here to tell everyone involved with the ACR Tutorial how much I appreciate the quality of the work.

Very happy. The sharpening chapter, in particular, was a big help since some of my practices based on instinct were wrong. Shaved a lot of time off the learning curve.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up