Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera Raw Tutorial  (Read 67270 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2008, 04:11:14 pm »

As reference was made to Jeffs book - Camera Raw can I just add that I am almost half way through it and am finding it both extremely interesting as well as informative. My only critisism is in the style of writing used - subjective I know but I am finding forever changing from the first to the third person rather distracting. Perhaps this is as a result of him picking up the thread so to speak, I don't know, and of course only Jeff can answer that one.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189999\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In general, everything in the book was changed from 'I' to 'We' because the book went from a first person singular to plural. Even though 2 editors and myself tried very hard to go through the material and make sure we caught all of them, a few 'I's' slipped through except where it was intentional.

For example, in re-using Bruce's original Camera Calibrate method, I decided to maintain the 'I' and introduced the section has having been originally written by Bruce and updated only to maintain version 4.0 accuracy. So, that remained 'I' on purpose...

As to answering the question of whether or not the video and the book are redundant, I don't think so. I was very conscience of the fact that the video NOT merely be a video version of the book. In both cases, I tried to make sure the medium was used to the best advantage so some of the stuff in the book was a better medium for some things while the video medium was better for other things. So, to that extent, the design was to be complementary rather than either/or.

It should also be noted that a portion of the proceeds from the video will go to Bruce's estate...so, in the grand scheme of things, I would suggest people buy both. And, hey, if you feel like it, buy two or more copies...

:~)

P.S. I actually had several people at the recent Photoshop World buy a second copy so they could have me sign their book on the spot. I thought that was great!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 05:26:42 pm by Schewe »

Alter Nereus

Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2008, 04:22:22 pm »

Thanks for clearing that up Jeff - I appreciate it must be quite difficult picking up on a book that has already been started. By the way, I'm one of those people that purchased the book twice but they were posted to me in Europe so no signature darn it. Anyway, a good friend and colleague is now also blessed with some good bed time reading - and yes, he's single.

Ralph Eisenberg

Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2008, 06:04:24 am »

I'm very pleased with these instructive tutorials and would like to thank all involved in their realisation. From what I have seen so far, they are an excellent complement to and refresher for  the earlier  Lightroom tutorials and the highly informative Fraser and Schewe book.
Ralph

francofit

• http://
Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2008, 07:14:03 am »

I'm very pleased with these instructive tutorials and would like to thank all involved in their realisation. From what I have seen so far, they are an excellent complement to and refresher for  the earlier  Lightroom tutorials and the highly informative Fraser and Schewe book.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190105\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Exactly the same for me.
I could only add:   the videos have strong pedagogical effectiveness also because they are entertaining!    

Thank you all!
Franco

Sunesha

• http://sunesha.se
Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2008, 02:41:02 pm »

Question: The "digital" gretag checker that Jeff had. Is there any possibility where you can find it?

I really want one, just as a reference you can see that when you have calibrated the camera that I done it right.

Just to add to the praise: Very nice tutorial and it really added to my other two I bought. You should almost sell them as a package  Camera to print, Lightroom and the latest.
Daniel Sunebring, Malmoe, Sweden
Homepag

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2008, 03:42:39 pm »

I'm sold.  Next rainy weekend I'm opening my wallet.
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

Marlyn

Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2008, 07:51:04 pm »

Just finished watching the Camera Raw Tutorial, and I thought it was excellent.

Whilst I have Bruce & Jeff's book  (Real World Camera Raw CS3), and read it a couple of times, the video is still definatly worthwhile.

On its own, the video is a great guide to Camera-Raw, however together with the Book, and other material it serves to as 'reinformente learning'.  Its great to see the concepts in a different way and have them demonstrated 'live' as it were.

The inserts from Thomas Knoll about the what & how of the insides of CR are also very interesting.

Good work guys.

PS:

I still think someone needs to make a detailed tutorial on curves, together with discussion on exactly how they affect images, and how to achive various 'improvments' on a wide range of images.  Curves have to be one of the most powerful, and most confusing editing tools out there.

This was covered ok in the CR tutorial, but I think it could be taken even further.

Regards

Mark.

wtlloyd

Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2008, 10:24:50 pm »

I've already commented how much I like the tutorial, and I learned a lot from both it and Jeff's book. Technical learning aside, I gain the most when the process of working through the image is demonstrated. I found this to be the most interesting and helpful parts of Jeff's book, and more so here. Video is a BIG improvement over the crappy tiny photos in a book, I don't know how anybody can see what is being described in the majority of the illustrations. You are completely at the mercy of the print quality. For those of us who never worked in a darkroom, or never took traditional photography classes, it's very difficult to grasp the visual when instruction is verbal.

Critique of an image, and describing the steps in processing and manipulating the image is a HUGE help. I would frankly love to see another tutorial that does just this.

francois

Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2008, 03:13:14 am »

Question: The "digital" gretag checker that Jeff had. Is there any possibility where you can find it?
BH Photo or ColourConfidence (in Europe) offer the X-Rite Digital ColorChecker SG.

Digital ColorChecker SG: ColorConfidence  or BH Photo.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 03:14:14 am by francois »
Francois

Sunesha

Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2008, 08:39:15 am »

BH Photo or ColourConfidence (in Europe) offer the X-Rite Digital ColorChecker SG.

Digital ColorChecker SG: ColorConfidence  or BH Photo.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190330\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks mate. I have a such one. I think it was language mis-understanding.

I meant the colorchecker he had as image file in his computer. He showed it after he done the calibration. I thought it was nifty. As it probaly used some RGB values. Just as refence to see that I didn't make a complety mistake during the calibration
Homepag

francois

Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2008, 11:38:34 am »

Thanks mate. I have a such one. I think it was language mis-understanding.

I meant the colorchecker he had as image file in his computer. He showed it after he done the calibration. I thought it was nifty. As it probaly used some RGB values. Just as refence to see that I didn't make a complety mistake during the calibration
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190371\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sorry, I misinterpreted your question.
Francois

Sunesha

Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2008, 12:34:22 pm »

Sorry, I misinterpreted your question.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190420\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
After reading my own phrasing and how I expressed myself. I found it complete understandable. But thanks for answering as I reformulated my request to a more understandable request.

So no hard feelings, just being grateful.
Homepag

Marlyn

Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2008, 01:20:01 am »

PS:

SA = South Australia :)  its a state !.    

Woodcutters is from the Barossa Valley, arguably the premier wine region of Australia.

Mark.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2008, 08:50:57 am »

Woodcutters is from the Barossa Valley, arguably the premier wine region of Australia.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190556\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
...and it was very good indeed (even after pouring it through that fizzerator-thingy)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 08:51:28 am by Chrissand »

KeithR

Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2008, 06:26:45 pm »

...and it was very good indeed (even after pouring it through that fizzerator-thingy)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190580\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just finished the wine tasting segment! Never saw the "fizzerator thingy" before. Way cool! Don't know why all the fuss about picking the right wine though. Just have to make sure of the expiration date on the box.  
Nice job everyone.
One quick comment though. Segment CR19_WorkflowOptions starts out stating that there are chapter markers for the segment. I found none listed. No big deal. Just pointing it out.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2008, 06:46:25 pm »

I just make sure to defrost the wine about 30 min before I mix it...good to go!

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2008, 10:54:16 pm »

I have replaced the zip file which includes CR19_WorkflowOptions - somehow I had neglected to include the QuickTime chapter markers for this file. The actual content is unchanged but the chapter markers are now in the file.

Kenneth Sky

• http://
Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2008, 09:43:50 pm »

I've noticed several of the chapters in my downloads have synchronization problems  with audio in advance of a stuttering video. Is this a download problem? Should I repeat the download?

Pete Ferling

Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2008, 10:01:51 pm »

Just finished the tutorial.  I was wrong about two cases of beer, I only needed to consume one (well, maybe I have to consume another to put into practice what I have learned).

I was somewhat hesistant to purchase to this after already watching the LR tutorial.  However I'm glad I did.  I learned some new techniques, Smart Objects for one (don't know why I never bothered with Smart Objects -well I guess I can be too busy to learn something that would make my life less complicated...)

It was a nice touch to include the interview with the adobe engineers, (now I know whom I've been offending with all my whinning and criticism...)  But hey, these are real folks and not at all like the corporate types I've once thought.

Michael, you and Jeff have done a great job in getting folks like me up to speed.  I used to be type whom would read the manuals and several books, but over the years, I've been too busy getting work done that I've neglected to keep up with the "what's new" in my field.

I find your approach to teaching very informative, as I also understand that you also are learning and have desire to improve your own workflow (rather than just teaching something in text book fashion). It's very much like some of my college professors, those whom worked their professions at day, and teach part time at night.  They would speak from real life experiences and not just the black and white of some little known author.

I can't wait to see what's next.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2008, 11:09:10 pm »

I can't wait to see what's next.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191337\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, Michael and I are planning to get together "soon'ish" to shoot out Lightroom 2.0 video tutorial...that should be "interesting" for a variety of reasons.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up