Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera Raw Tutorial  (Read 67274 times)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 12:56:12 pm »

Aside from download, I have a complaint (I will not ask for my money back but its something Michael needs to be aware of): He needs a snazzier shirt! <G>
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

francois

Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2008, 12:59:45 pm »

Aside from download, I have a complaint (I will not ask for my money back but its something Michael needs to be aware of): He needs a snazzier shirt! <G>
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189441\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I agree  
Francois

michael

Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2008, 03:56:59 pm »

Gentleman of taste and breeding do not wear Hawaiian shirts (except, of course, when in Hawaii).  

Michael
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 03:57:44 pm by michael »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2008, 03:58:52 pm »

Gentleman of taste and breeding do not wear Hawaiian shirts (except when in Hawaii).   
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189507\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Uh huh...and gentlemen of taste and breeding are, uh...boring :~)

VIVA LA DIFFERENCE!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 04:06:59 pm by michael »

Kenneth Sky

• http://
Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2008, 04:06:46 pm »

Will I be able to make one DVD copy for myself (so I can get it off my desktop) without the watermark?

michael

Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2008, 04:10:39 pm »

You're free to make backup copies for your own use.

Because we do not use copy protection the watermark which occasionally appears, stays. That way if copies get handed around at least there's a form of viral marketing included.

Michael

Kenneth Sky

• http://
Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2008, 04:21:25 pm »

Good enough. As long as it's not too intrusive, I don't mind a little marketing.

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2008, 04:23:22 pm »

I've purchased the excellent Camera to Print and Lightroom tutorials and learned a great deal from both of them.   I use Lightroom for all of my raw file conversions.  

I did purchase CS3 a couple months ago as Jeff informed me that my CS version was a bit long in the tooth.  I also bit the bullet and got the Photokit Sharpener (still using the Epson 2200).   Honestly, CS3 has mostly taken up hard drive space other than the occasional round trip needed for printing/softproofing.

I may be missing out on features and workflow improvements by not using bridge but am not sure.  With these products having overlapping features I'm concerned that I've already got the basics down and will not get much benefit from this new tutorial.

Is there enough new meat in this tutorial for someone who has the Camera to Print and Lightroom to not be disappointed?
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

Henry Goh

Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2008, 04:40:34 pm »

I've purchased the excellent Camera to Print and Lightroom tutorials and learned a great deal from both of them.   I use Lightroom for all of my raw file conversions. 

I did purchase CS3 a couple months ago as Jeff informed me that my CS version was a bit long in the tooth.  I also bit the bullet and got the Photokit Sharpener (still using the Epson 2200).   Honestly, CS3 has mostly taken up hard drive space other than the occasional round trip needed for printing/softproofing.

I may be missing out on features and workflow improvements by not using bridge but am not sure.  With these products having overlapping features I'm concerned that I've already got the basics down and will not get much benefit from this new tutorial.

Is there enough new meat in this tutorial for someone who has the Camera to Print and Lightroom to not be disappointed?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189517\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm downloading mine now but I too have purchased and watched LR tutorial and Camera to Print.  Personally, I think just watching Jeff and Michael is worth the entertainment value so I won't worry about any overlap.  Kidding aside, I feel entertained whenever I watch one of these videos and the best part is I don't have to strain my old eyes to read printed text.

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2008, 04:40:51 pm »

I also have the tutorial for Camera to Print and Lightroom and wondering if it would be worth purchasing this newest Raw video?  

Also what Adobe Raw version it this video based on?  The latest version from Adobe is 4.4.1.

Thanks,

Stu

KeithR

Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2008, 05:36:52 pm »

I also have the tutorial for Camera to Print and Lightroom and wondering if it would be worth purchasing this newest Raw video? 

Also what Adobe Raw version it this video based on?  The latest version from Adobe is 4.4.1.

Thanks,

Stu
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189521\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Since 4.4.1 was just released last week and the taping was a few months ago, I'm guessing that it covers 4.3, since that's been out since November/December '07.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

christiaan

Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2008, 07:13:42 pm »

Gentleman of taste and breeding do not wear Hawaiian shirts (except, of course, when in Hawaii).   
Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189507\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I think that's the influence of that big American guy from Chicago.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2008, 09:27:26 pm »

Since 4.4.1 was just released last week and the taping was a few months ago, I'm guessing that it covers 4.3, since that's been out since November/December '07.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189533\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Adobe Creative Suite 3 with Photoshop CS3 10.0.1, Camera Raw 4.3.1 and Bridge 2.1

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2008, 09:30:23 pm »

There is a lot of additional material - mostly to do with the integration of ACR, Bridge and Photoshop. The overlaps are really only in the actual processing/colour adjustment. FWIW I learned a lot  

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2008, 09:47:52 pm »

I've only watched the first 5 pieces, and I know this stuff pretty well. But I think the part where Jeff shows a true non demosaiced image, talks about Raw linear capture is real worthwhile.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Pete Ferling

Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2008, 11:01:46 pm »

Another 8-hours of training?  (I'll need two cases of beer for this one...)

I've finished watching the camera to print tutorial for the second time (lots of information to grasp in the first go.  -Excellent stuff).

-Pete

DarkPenguin

Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2008, 11:34:25 pm »

Another 8-hours of training?  (I'll need two cases of beer for this one...)

I've finished watching the camera to print tutorial for the second time (lots of information to grasp in the first go.  -Excellent stuff).

-Pete
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189589\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That sounds like my education.  You didn't go to St. Cloud State, did you?

wtlloyd

Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2008, 01:23:05 am »

Excellent job, you two really hit your stride on this one. The asides are still enjoyable, but the presentation of the material is better paced, less rambling and almost scripted. It makes it easier to follow in the end. Don't get me wrong, the back and forth between you two is entertaining, but there is more focus on getting through the material. I am enjoying the interview inserts at appropriate points, they add a lot. I love hearing the background information.

While a lot of the material is quite familar, having bought both LightRoom and C to P tutorials, the added depth on this one is valuable.

Just finished the Basics panel tutorial, and the finer points on making exposure adjustments really brought it all home to me.

Sunesha

• http://sunesha.se
Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2008, 07:55:06 am »

I am curious, what would this add to my knowledge as I bought Camera to Print and Lightroom before?

I checked out the list off topics and as this very good price as usual as quality is great on the last two video education ones. But low on funds I trying to think if it would add anything?

Are there more in depth on how the controls work?

That was what was most valuable for me in the Lightroom tutorial. I like just the proccess off showing stuff how it work..

I guess I want it but I ask myself if I really need it... Please help me out here

Also does jeff have any new ugly shirt, I dont know why but it made me smile. Sorry if Jeff reads this and maybe gets offended. No hard feelings. Taste is a like a butt, splitted as we say in sweden.
Daniel Sunebring, Malmoe, Sweden
Homepag

bjanes

Camera Raw Tutorial
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2008, 09:10:05 am »

I've only watched the first 5 pieces, and I know this stuff pretty well. But I think the part where Jeff shows a true non demosaiced image, talks about Raw linear capture is real worthwhile.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189579\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What I found interesting and disconcerting was Jeff's continuing to regard a raw file as gray scale and an RGB TIFF as color despite our previous discussion on the Adobe Camera Raw forum. Strictly speaking no file contains color, since color is a perception that occurs in the brain. What files contain is information necessary to create a tristimulus response that is perceived as color when the information is projected on the retina and decoded in the central nervous system.

An RGB TIFF image could be viewed as three gray scale files, but it is more since each layer contains information about the color of each pixel; when the file is viewed with a color aware application, the viewer perceives color. Similarly, a raw file contains color information about each pixel that is overlain with a color filter. In the raw file, all the information is on one layer in the form of a mosaic, whereas it is present in three layers in the TIFF. Each pixel records only luminance, but since the color represented by the luminance is known, color can be generated.

Jeff believes that color is generated when the file is demosaiced and the missing colors in the mosaic are filled in by interpolation and he proceeds to prove his point by viewing the raw file in a non color aware application (dng_validate). However, if you view the file in a color aware application, the colors are there as shown in this screen shot from Rawanalyze. In the shown view, Rawanalyze takes each pixel of the raw file and displays it on screen in its proper color but there is no demosaicing, white balance, interpolation, or gamma curve. The image is greenish because there are twice as many green pixels as blue or red pixels and no white balance has been applied.

[attachment=6136:attachment]

If you zoom in, you can see the mosaic pattern and the color of each pixel. There there is relatively little blue in the image and most blue pixels appear as black, but some blue is present towards the center of the image.

[attachment=6137:attachment]

In conclusion, a raw file is no more gray scale than an RGB TIFF.

Bill
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 09:17:09 am by bjanes »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up