Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help: Need (want) new Laptop  (Read 15187 times)

vgogolak

• http://
Help: Need (want) new Laptop
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2008, 07:16:06 pm »

I understand the Mac boosting, but for PC laptops you can't beat a Thinkpad. VERY rugged (never had one fail. At Dulles, one was pushed over the edge to the concrete floor at security-the only proble was a wire came lose from the screen.

I have a 1920x1200 at home, but it is heavy (7lbs) but just got a Z61 to travel-1400xsomething screen and 4lbs

for firewire, use the PCMCIA (whatever!!) slot with 6 pin adapter (usually 2-3 of them)

a little more expensive, but a LOT more reliable

I guess its Lenovo now, but still IBM quality

Victor
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 07:16:32 pm by vgogolak »

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 12:18:03 am »

I understand the Mac boosting, but for PC laptops you can't beat a Thinkpad. VERY rugged (never had one fail. At Dulles, one was pushed over the edge to the concrete floor at security-the only proble was a wire came lose from the screen.

I have a 1920x1200 at home, but it is heavy (7lbs) but just got a Z61 to travel-1400xsomething screen and 4lbs

for firewire, use the PCMCIA (whatever!!) slot with 6 pin adapter (usually 2-3 of them)

a little more expensive, but a LOT more reliable

I guess its Lenovo now, but still IBM quality

Victor
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177373\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

not sure if this is applicable to a phase one back but a pcmcia adapter won't power the back, you'll need to use another power adapter to run power to the firewire port on the pcmcia card
I run my aptus like that, on an Expresscard firewire800 card with the power plugged in.
the plus point of this is that the back doesn't suck battery life from the laptop that way and you need only about 1.5-2 amps to power the firewire card (I'm using a generic power adapter for the firewire card, it's 1.5 amps)

jonstewart

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 06:29:36 pm »

Well, now that the new MacbookPro spec has come out, I think I'll go for the Apple, and then install Vista on it.

It's a cruel twisted perverse kind of world :-)

Thanks for all your help guys (and gals!)
J
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up