Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya AFD II battery life  (Read 4040 times)

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

• http://www.billcaulfeild-browne.com
Mamiya AFD II battery life
« on: February 25, 2008, 02:56:32 am »

I use an AFD II with a Phase P45+. In the last few months the camera seems to be going through a lot of batteries. At first I thought it might be my fault - forgetting to turn the camera off and having the shutter button getting depressed in the bag. But this is not the case. With everything turned off, the camera will exhaust the batteries in a few days, just sitting on the shelf.

The short term solution has been simple - I simply remove the battery case from the camera after use. The current set of Duracells has done over 700 exposures and still counting - as long as I remove them after each shooting session.

Anybody else with this problem? I think I saw a thread about this sometime in the past but can't find it now.

Bill

mcrepsej

• http://www.iversenfoto.dk
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 05:53:26 am »

Hi Bill.

It's the adapterplate who is the "thief".

You have to remove you adapter (and P45+) when you have done your job or as you do remove the battery...

I have the same problem with "something eaten" the battery.

Iversen
Denmark

amsp

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 07:10:01 am »

Yes, it's known issue with the AFD series and digital backs. The only solution right now is to remove the batteries when not in use. I'm sure this will be fixed on the new model coming soon though.

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 09:11:06 am »

I use an AFD II with a Phase P45+. In the last few months the camera seems to be going through a lot of batteries. At first I thought it might be my fault - forgetting to turn the camera off and having the shutter button getting depressed in the bag. But this is not the case. With everything turned off, the camera will exhaust the batteries in a few days, just sitting on the shelf.

The short term solution has been simple - I simply remove the battery case from the camera after use. The current set of Duracells has done over 700 exposures and still counting - as long as I remove them after each shooting session.

Anybody else with this problem? I think I saw a thread about this sometime in the past but can't find it now.

Bill
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bill,

I might suggest having your AFD II firmware checked.  Your camera is trying to talk with your DB, even when it's in the "off" position.  This can drain your battery, but the newer firmware addressed this issue.

Chris Lawery
Capture Integration
[a href=\"http://www.captureintegration.com]Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year[/url]

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell  

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 10:52:32 am »

I've been shooting with the Mamiya 645AFD for about ten years.  This camera body will eat "normal" heavy duty batteries ala Energizer and Duracell for lunch.

The best solution I have found is to switch to the newer Energizer Lithium AA batteries (silver and blue).  Cost is about US$9-$10 for a four pack.  These batteries last and have good holding power.  Well worth it over normal heavy duty AA batteries.  I don't remove my batteries from the camera in between shoots.

And an extra plus is that they are significantly lighter than normal AA batteries....

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 11:26:57 am »

2700Mah were not usable for me.
I now switched to the green GP batteries recyclo.
They keep their power up even after several months (so the advertising says )

I have the newest firmware in the body and remove my grip every day, they last app 2 days, with the 2700Mah I could barely make it through a heavy day.

When I'm on location I don't even want to take the risc and use normal Duracels.
During my stay in the states I worked 10 days CONSTANTLY before the batteries went dead.
Never shot so much in a few days

Steve_Townsend

• Commercial Property Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 05:31:15 pm »

Bill,

I might suggest having your AFD II firmware checked.  Your camera is trying to talk with your DB, even when it's in the "off" position.  This can drain your battery, but the newer firmware addressed this issue.

Chris Lawery
Capture Integration
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177206\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Bill

I have this same problem and I thought it was my fault too!!

Chris

I have to return my AFD11 to Mamiya in the UK very soon because of a lock up communication problem between the camera body and my relatively new 28mm lens.  

I am told that I do not have to send the P45+ back as well, but my question here is.  Will they upgrade the firmware as part of this fix or should I refer to the problem you have highlighted when I return the body+lens?

It is bizarre really.  The problem between lens and body disappeared for a few months but has now returned.

Steve Townsend

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

• http://www.billcaulfeild-browne.com
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 06:56:51 pm »

Thank you all for your responses. My firmware was upgraded when I got the 28 mm lens but I'll ask my dealer to take another look. Meantime I'll continue to remove the batteries rather than the back - less chance of dust or damage.

Thanks again. Nice to know I'm not totally stupid.....
Bill

Bill
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177185\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jack Varney

• http://
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 10:47:10 pm »

In December 2005 I had the same problem with my 645 AFD and Phase P25. Camera Alakaline Batteries suddenly started going bad in a week or so. I took out the battery pack and rigged an ammeter in series between the camera and the battery pack. With the camera turned off it drew about 11ma. That will eat up the AAs in a matter of several days (2000maHrs/11ma).

I sent the Mamiya back to MAC Group, it was in warranty. Upon return the repair order said no problem found, that the problem could be "related to digital back or 105-210 AF lens".

The camera has not eaten batteries in the 26 monthe since MAC sent it back. Go figure!
Jack Varney
Pages: [1]   Go Up