Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf Live View--am I doing it right?  (Read 2841 times)

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
Leaf Live View--am I doing it right?
« on: February 24, 2008, 07:41:09 pm »

I've got my Aptus 17 and a "live video" dongle.  I was trying Live View on LC 11.02 on my Macs running 10.4 with my Hasseblad 503CX.  LC is set to Hasselblad 500 series.  I set the lens to T and wide open and press the shutter button to get the mirror up.

I get B+W images in the window.  Should they be in color?

I do not get the Next Shot (or whatever it is called) Tab nor any way to take a shot on the computer.  I can save the preview as a jpeg.

I can adjust the light.  The button with a diaghpram icon, next to the focus button, is greyed out.  The focus works (badly) at full aperture (the image is not sharp and the counter shows 53/56--I cannot seem to get 56/56).  Focus is more accurate at smaller apertures.

What can Live View offer V-series Hasselblads?  I can see that it allows you to compose on a (larger) monitor and to focus (when you get it working correctly).

Specifically my questions are:
1. Can it do pre-exposure settings?  
2. Can you take the picture from the computer?  
3. Should the preview be in color?  
4. How do I get the Next shot tab to appear?
5. Do dongles require updating to work with later versions of LC?

In anticipation, I thank you for your assistance (again).
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

Streetwise

• DavidAnderson.tv
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 08:56:54 pm »

Specifically my questions are:
1. Can it do pre-exposure settings? 
2. Can you take the picture from the computer? 
3. Should the preview be in color? 
4. How do I get the Next shot tab to appear?
5. Do dongles require updating to work with later versions of LC?

In anticipation, I thank you for your assistance (again).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177140\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In short, the Live View dongle provides you with a way to compose and focus your shot in B&W. The real advantage is it's use with a view camera or wide architectural camera. Using it on a MF camera doesn't seem like it would add much if anything.

1.) No, it doesn't do pre-exposure settings
2.) Yes. It's cmd-T to trigger the shutter (assuming you're using an electronic shutter that's coupled to LC11). I don't think it applies to the MF cameras (Hass, Mamiya, etc.)
3.) No. It's B&W only on the Leaf.
4.) Not sure what that is.?
5.) I don't think so. I have an earlier dongle that I used to use with v8.x. It works great with LC11.02

Hope that helps!

Dave

yaya

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 01:40:59 am »

In short, the Live View dongle provides you with a way to compose and focus your shot in B&W. The real advantage is it's use with a view camera or wide architectural camera. Using it on a MF camera doesn't seem like it would add much if anything.

1.) No, it doesn't do pre-exposure settings
2.) Yes. It's cmd-T to trigger the shutter (assuming you're using an electronic shutter that's coupled to LC11). I don't think it applies to the MF cameras (Hass, Mamiya, etc.)
3.) No. It's B&W only on the Leaf.
4.) Not sure what that is.?
5.) I don't think so. I have an earlier dongle that I used to use with v8.x. It works great with LC11.02

Hope that helps!

Dave
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177148\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

2. cmd-T doesn't work with the CX. It works with 555ELD, 553ELX and 503CW (with a winder, providing that you have a camera control cable)

4. When LV is ON no other function is available. You have to switch it OFF to access the next shot tab

5. The dongle is just a key that opens the LV function so no need to update its firmware or anything. Only updates may be requires if the OS changes the USB bus driver

Yair

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 02:56:33 am »

Thanks for the info.  Live View doesn't seem to do much for me.  What is the dongle worth on the used market?

Also, why does it say to keep the lens wide open?  Shouldn't you use the aperture you intend to take the picture with?
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

Streetwise

• DavidAnderson.tv
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 07:40:38 am »

Thanks for the info.  Live View doesn't seem to do much for me.  What is the dongle worth on the used market?

Also, why does it say to keep the lens wide open?  Shouldn't you use the aperture you intend to take the picture with?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177646\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think the dongles sell for $1495 new, or at least they used to. I got mine on eBay for $995. They are very rare, so you might get more for it.

You never want to determine critical focus with a lens stopped down at all. When you stop down, your depth of focus increases, making *everything* look in focus when in reality it isn't. Best to focus with all lenses wide open, live dongle, or not.
Pages: [1]   Go Up