Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1Ds suddenly has no image  (Read 2067 times)

Blue Planet

• http://www.blueplanetphoto.com
1Ds suddenly has no image
« on: February 24, 2008, 05:46:57 pm »

I was shooting all day yesterday just fine. This morning I turn on my 1Ds and get a message that the camera won't operate until I update the firmware. I had the most recent update (years ago), however, I went to Canon and downloaded v 1.0.3 and installed it. The camera seemed to work fine until I tried to take some pictures.

I suspect some sort of corruption (don't know how, I didn't access the images or have the camera online since yesterday). Firmware Version prior to "update" read I.1.5

Here are the symptoms:

with a formatted CF card, the image counter reads 0000. I took one test shot. Review image is black, counter 0001. Hit display and "no image" pops up. Shot another, same thing, counter 0002, no image.

I replaced the card with another that has images on it. Counter now reads 8386, images display fine. Shot two tests, counter 8387 and 8388, black review image, no images recorded. Turned camera off and back on, counter back to 8386.

All other functions appear to be operating normally.

???

Mike
Mike Shipman
Blue Planet Photography www

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 12:13:30 pm »

It sounds like the main board has been either corrupted or it has broken.  You picked up the higher count from the other card.  The fact that you can display images tells you that not all the board is gone.   I personally don't believe this is a firmware issue as all firmware versions will support the basic capture and writing to a card.

Since you are getting shutter operation but not writing the file, it really points to the board i.e. electronic problem not a camera mechanical issue.

The only other thing to try is pull the main battery, then take out the cmos cell that sits inside the main battery compartment.    This will do a full reset of the camera.  Then replace both and see what happens.  

If it's still down, then it's time to call Canon Repair.   Then you also have to consider is it worth the cost of a repair/buying a new 1ds MKII or 5D.    Canon will give you an estimate before they do the work.  

Sorry to hear about the problem.  

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 12:17:57 pm »

I didn't read your post correctly.  The 1ds is recording the images, the fact that you got a new image on the counter tells you that.  However they are just all black, which can point to a shutter problem.    Open the camera and make sure the shutter is operating correctly.  This happened to my 1ds, however the shutter was opening 1/2 way.  Canon replaced the shutter assembly.     The card with the 37 and 38 images on it should show just a full black frame but should still have all the exif info for the images.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Blue Planet

• http://www.blueplanetphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 12:32:21 pm »

I did call Canon service the next day (Monday) and we went through the reset procedure removing the internal battery and it didn't solve the issue. The tech I spoke with was certain it was a power-related issue, especially when I told him I also had periodic ERR99 issues. I sent it in and it's being repaired (less than $200) and expected to be returned in the next few days. I don't know exactly what is being repaired, but will receive an accounting of the repair when I get the body back.
Mike Shipman
Blue Planet Photography www

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 12:15:38 pm »

Glad to see it was not the main board.  

Paul C.
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up