Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LaCie Backup Help for a Newbie...  (Read 2432 times)

ron ritcher

LaCie Backup Help for a Newbie...
« on: February 24, 2008, 04:09:22 pm »

...but after saving edited images to an external drive for 3 years (only about 500 total), I finally decided to back them up to another drive: a LaCie 500GB model with EMC Retrospect  software included.  After taking at least a couple hours to run a backup, I'm left with a folder that won't generate images when accessed through PS.  Instead, I have 85 gigs of "RBC Files" in a "Retrospect Restore Points" folder --but expected to see my image folders instead.  (Understand that I'm a TOTAL computer klutz, so this is all Greek to me)

Then I tried to click-and-drag each individual folder acrosss to the new drive, and sure enough, that worked fine.  So, anyone have the patience to explain what I'm missing here, and how I should go about this task? (and yes, I did try to wade through the Users' Manual, but that obviously didn't make enough sense)  Thanks in advance!

--Ron
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 09:22:16 pm by ron ritcher »

Woodcorner

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 10:06:16 am »

Ron,

the files you are seeing on your external hard drive are Retrospect backup files in a proprietary format. In order to have access to the content, you need to restore the content with Retrospect. You cannot access them directly with Photoshop for example.

The advantage of Retrospect is that you can have different versions of a file in your backup. The backup also contains all deleted files.

If all you want is a mere copy of your images on a second drive, have a look at ChronoSync or Super Duper. They are a bit easier to set up and you'll get copies that you can work with right away without having to restore anything.

Hope this helps!

Andrew

ron ritcher

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 08:31:46 pm »

Andrew--

Thanks a million for the informative response!  If all I want to do is protect current files, is "Retrospect" overkill?  SHOULD I be desiring to do more than just have a backup copy of the images I want to keep safe?  Just thinking out loud here -- no need for further input.  You've given me plenty . . .

--Ron

Woodcorner

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 04:58:57 am »

Ron,

Retrospect is a fine program once you know how to handle it. It is certainly not overkill if you want to have a real backup of your files and not just a simple copy of them. Since it came with your harddrive for free, why not try to adapt it?!

Imagine you have edited an image in PS and saved the result. During the night you did a backup with Retrospect.
The next day you accidently delete the image file without noticing it. The following night, you do another automated backup with Retrospect.
On the third day, you realize that you have deleted the file. With Retrospect, you can go back to the state of day one and recover the file from a previous backup.

With a simple copy of your files and folders to a second harddrive, the deleted file is (most certainly) permanently lost because you only mirror the contents of the original harddrive.

In my first answer to your post, I was assuming you were on a Mac, hence the recommendations for SuperDuper and ChronoSync. Of course, Retrospect also runs on Windows and there are similar solutions for making simple copies of your files and folders in an automated way like Second Copy, or a handmade batch program.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

ron ritcher

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 09:20:57 pm »

VERY helpful, Andrew . . . many thanks!  Yep, I'm on a PC, and quickly learned that the two you suggested won't do me any good, but I think I'll stumble ahead and give Retrospect a fair trial -- and I add to files so infrequently that simply dragging folders into the LaCie isn't too cumbersome.

Again, thank you for sharing your time and expertise.

--Ron

Recked

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 06:31:39 am »

Hello,

Just my two cents for what they are worth, but if you want to not deal with backup files in a prop format you can always use a product like ViceVersa Pro which does a copy (perhaps mirror would be better word) of the files from one spot to another. If you opt to get the VVEngine with ViceVersa (additional cost of course) it will monitor the jobs you set up and automatically do the copy (read mirror) from one drive to another. You will see only the files and directory structure that the original drive has.

I have been using it for a few years now and am happy I made the initial investment!

Best of luck....

ron ritcher

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 09:45:06 pm »

Thanks for chiming in!  Just to show how computer-UNsavy I am, I'll toss out this question that your response got me to wondering about:  because my files increase/change relatively infrequently, am I doing myself harm by simply dragging altered folders across to the backup drive as needed?  Do I really NEED a program to do this for some reason I'm not even aware of?  Again, THANKS!

--Ron
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 09:46:23 pm by ron ritcher »

Recked

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 10:22:05 pm »

Hey,

I guess I just look at ViceVersa as insurance against my ever growing feeble brain! I like it because it does it automatically without my having to run any applications as it starts automatically when the machine comes up and watches the folders I set up for it to watch.

I suppose if you don't alert things much you could get away without an application, but for a very few dollars why take the chance?

best of luc,
Pages: [1]   Go Up