Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lighting Set: Profoto?  (Read 3864 times)

bobring

Lighting Set: Profoto?
« on: February 24, 2008, 01:16:09 pm »

I see a lot of coments on the web about Elinchrom, Dynalite, Bowens and others but not much about Profoto.  I'm planning to buy a power pack and a couple of flash heads but am still trying to decide which way to go.  Does anyone have any experience (pro or con) in regards to Profoto?  For example, the Acute2 1200R and the Acute D4 flash head.  I do know I'm interested in something like the Elinchrom Rotalux Octa.  I'll be doing portraits (studio & outdoors) along with tabletop type photography.  Thanks.

Hank

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 02:06:57 pm »

We use several brands, both powerpack and mono varieties, but no experience with profoto.  Top of the line for us in powerpack systems in terms of durability, function and repair service is Speedatron black line.  You can beat the stuffings out of it, and it comes back for more.  When something finally goes wrong, service is quick and reasonably priced.  Nothing glitzy about their gear, but man, is it tough.

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 02:22:56 pm »

majority of commercial shooters and studios use profoto in NY.
I fly halfway across the globe frequently with the packs and heads in luggage and they last well.
the reflectors they offer are also among the best.

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 05:58:59 pm »

I use profoto, the reflector mounting system is great. The standard reflectors are also fantastic as well as the beauty dishes they make.  

The quality is there and ive never had one problem with any of my packs or heads (acute2 system)

Keep in mind ALL of the modifiers and accessories are expensive compared to most brands, so don't forget that in the equation.

Good luck on your decision.

D White

• Don White
    • iStock
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 07:44:03 pm »

Norman D12 & D24 packs are both well featured and well priced. The European strobes are priced off the planet.
Dr D White DDS BSc

Panorama

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 11:25:20 am »

I've used Profoto for about 18 months now. The beauty of these lights is their consistency, meaning the light output, color, and quality is the same every shot. There's less variability in their gear than what you many find with some others, hence there is a premium price attached. Great recycle times too!

I remember shooting with Norman gear and waiting at least 2x as long for the recycle. With Profoto, it's shoot..1-2 seconds..beep, shoot..1-2 seconds..beep. Very fast..

I love shooting with the built in PW receiver as well. You can trigger the lights via a PW or light meter if you own a Sekonic meter. I use a L-558R, but other models work too.

scott_dobry

• http://www.scottdobry.com
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 03:11:23 pm »

I had used Dyna-Lite for many years but switched to Profoto right when Acute2 came out.  Profoto Acutes are not quite as small/compact as Dyna-Lite 2040 heads but they are portable, very tough, and the reflectors are great (the standard zoom is amazing unto itself) and the recycle times are good.  With the built in Pocket Wizard, no more sync cords!  Also, you can get Profoto rental/accessory gear in most major markets.  Almost all the accessories are interchangeable among the Proto family.  Most of all, the quality of light from them and the beauty dishes is terrific.  You do pay a premium though...

Scott
www.scottdobry.com
[span style='color:orange'][url=http://w

bobring

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 11:14:01 am »

Thanks for the feedback on Profoto.  Now I'm hoping for a promotion on the powerpacks!

I had used Dyna-Lite for many years but switched to Profoto right when Acute2 came out.  Profoto Acutes are not quite as small/compact as Dyna-Lite 2040 heads but they are portable, very tough, and the reflectors are great (the standard zoom is amazing unto itself) and the recycle times are good.  With the built in Pocket Wizard, no more sync cords!  Also, you can get Profoto rental/accessory gear in most major markets.  Almost all the accessories are interchangeable among the Proto family.  Most of all, the quality of light from them and the beauty dishes is terrific.  You do pay a premium though...

Scott
www.scottdobry.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177311\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up