Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Full Frame Options  (Read 3198 times)

reillynevada

Canon Full Frame Options
« on: February 23, 2008, 12:31:32 am »

I own a Canon 30D currently and want to upgrade to a camera with a full frame sensor for the big landscape shots.  Right now, my options would be (1) the 1DsMark III (looks great but very pricey); (2) the "old" 5D; or (3) wait until fall and hope Canon releases a 5D Mark II or equivalent.

I am not a pro, but am a serious amateur.  I have plenty of solid glass for any of these cameras:

50mm f/1.4
85mm f/1.2L II
70-200mm f/2.8L
16-35mm f/2.8L
24-105mm f/4L

Is the 1Ds Mark III too much camera for me?  I am leaning toward waiting for the next generation 5D, just because I expect it will have significant improvement in terms of ISO and resolution.  But then I am waiting for a camera that doesn't exist right now (and may never).  

Please let me know what you think.  Thanks in advance.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Canon Full Frame Options
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 07:50:22 am »

I think about this quite a bit; I have the 5D now (and a 20D).  What to do when the new one comes out? Buy that, keep what I have or upgrade to a 1Ds?

In the end I realize I could probably get a new 5D AND a 300mm f/2.8 IS for less than the 1Ds.  

Not to mention that my current limit to quality of prints is my own ability in PS/LR, not the sensor on my 5D.

So, depending on the improvements of the 5D II, I'll either stick with what I have or get the new one, not a 1Ds.  Not to mention the 1Ds is a brick compared to the 5D.

That said, there are a few things I really miss (in order):
100% viewfinder, viewfinder shutter, weather sealing (eh, sort of), a whole bunch of extra pixels!

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
Canon Full Frame Options
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 08:51:14 am »

I have a 5D and a 1Ds mark 111.  Both are excellent cameras.  We use them mostly for weddings etc, but also sometimes for personal work like landscapes.

Both are good at higher ISO settings.  You say that you are interested in a new camera for landscape work, then say that maybe you will wait for a new 5D because it might have better ISO capability.  Of course you may need a high ISO for some types of photography, but most likely not landscapes.
I could justify buying a 1Ds because it earns my money and the old 1Ds mark1 has done 4 years and maybe 150,000 pictures without fault.  However, the 5D would have done ok.  I just wanted a 1Ds!

The extra pixels are nice but probably not necessary unless you are making very big prints.
A new 5D may well come out soon, but the current one is really good, and if you never bought another camera you probably would not be disappointed with the pictures it produces.

On the other hand...  The 1Ds has got a better viewfinder, has live-view, and the battery never seems to need recharging. Oh yes, it also has two card slots for more capacity or in case you are paranoid. It is also lighter than the old 1Ds, but a lot heavier than a 5D.

Then again, you can buy four 5D cameras for the price of a 1Ds mark 111.

Seriously. You will not be sorry to buy a 5D unless you just always have to have the latest.

Jim

John S C

Canon Full Frame Options
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 10:36:46 am »

I have a 20D and a 5D. There was a quality jump in the images I submitted for publication with the 5D. It wasn't only me that saw the improvement, one editor did as well. Comment .. "New Camera ?".

The 1Dslll I'm sure is a fine camera, and the price in the UK is coming down. I've seen prices at £4,900, and one at £4,600. Not bad considering a month ago they were at £5,999. Why the drop in price I don't know. If it keeps going down I may be tempted.

I have to ask though what do you use your images for. Will you see the advantage of a 21Mpixel camera over a 12.

The new 5D well no one knows if and when, the autumn seems to be the best guess so far. And what the spec will be is any ones guess. A new model or just a revamp like the 20D/30D

What ever  you buy in 18 months or so a new model will appear. Does the old one stop working, no of course not. If you don't need the 21 Mp image or the tougher body, buy the 5D. You'll also have enough money saved to buy the 5D replacement if you want.

marcmccalmont

Canon Full Frame Options
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 03:10:53 am »

Wait for the new 5D the 3" display will be worth it!
Marc
Marc McCalmont

mahleu

• 500px
Canon Full Frame Options
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 03:43:49 am »

Wait for the new 5D the 3" display will be worth it!
Marc
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177432\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It will also probably get 14bits, live view and hopefully sensor cleaning.

pete_truman

• http://www.ifootpath.com
Canon Full Frame Options
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 06:28:48 am »

If you need really big prints go for the 1Ds3, but otherwise a 5D (current model) is still a superb camera and there are some really good deals to be had. Clearly there will be a replacement at some point and it is likely to include several features on the current cameras - but do you need them when you could buy a truly great camera now and use it?

Your list of glass is pretty awesome and you shouldn't have any real issues with it on a 5D or 1Ds3 - my list is very similar!
Pete Truman

elkhornsun

Canon Full Frame Options
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 05:48:23 pm »

Big difference between 16mm (from 16-35mm) on a Mark III with its APS-C sensor where it provides the FOV of a 21mm lens, and this same zoom on a 5D or other full frame camera. I wanted the build quality of a Mark III and a FF sensor and ended up getting a D3 as the 1Ds was overkill with its sensor and the resulting file sizes.

For landscape work I would buy a used 1Ds Mark II full frame 14 megapixel camera. Its primary limitation is its high ISO capabilities which is not important for landscape work. It has significantly higher resolution than the 5D, vastly better build quality (5D mirrors have a tendency to fall out even with normal use), and it has weather sealing for dust and moisture which the 5D lacks and which is important for extended use outdoors.

With a camera such as this I would only buy from a known and TRUSTED source where you can also get a MACK warranty. I am not aware of anyway to determine with this camera how many shutter activations have taken place so it may have years of life left or be close to needing an expensive repair.
Pages: [1]   Go Up