Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Talkeetna, Alaska  (Read 3761 times)

HEP

Talkeetna, Alaska
« on: February 22, 2008, 12:12:15 pm »

Hey crew, I'm headed to Alaska next week and was wondering if any one out there knows of any descent locations to do any landscape and wildlife photography.
I'll be doing some scouting around but was trying to speed the process up a little......Thanks in advance.....
HEP
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 12:13:26 pm by HEP »

akclimber

Talkeetna, Alaska
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 02:57:58 pm »

Hey crew, I'm headed to Alaska next week and was wondering if any one out there knows of any descent locations to do any landscape and wildlife photography.
I'll be doing some scouting around but was trying to speed the process up a little......Thanks in advance.....
HEP
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176667\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Howdy, if you're looking for spots in and around Talkeetna, it's as simple as walking thru town to the banks of the river and hoping for clear weather.  Nice views of Denali from there!  If you like good pizza and beer (and maybe even a caribou burger), try Mountain High Pizza.

CHeers!

HEP

Talkeetna, Alaska
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 06:53:11 pm »

Thanks AK...I'll be sure to look around ....I came thru there last Sept but it was typical fall weather in Alaska....rain and fog....so I didn't see much....from there I'm headed to Homer for the eagles...thanks again
hep

Howdy, if you're looking for spots in and around Talkeetna, it's as simple as walking thru town to the banks of the river and hoping for clear weather.  Nice views of Denali from there!  If you like good pizza and beer (and maybe even a caribou burger), try Mountain High Pizza.

CHeers!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176716\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

akclimber

Talkeetna, Alaska
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 08:17:19 pm »

Thanks AK...I'll be sure to look around ....I came thru there last Sept but it was typical fall weather in Alaska....rain and fog....so I didn't see much....from there I'm headed to Homer for the eagles...thanks again
hep
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176783\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Good luck with the weather!  I'm from SE AK so understand the rain and fog problem   I assume that this time of year the river up there will still be frozen over - it'd be worth hiking around for good photo spots if the weather's clear.  Locals might now some good spots.  Gonna do a flight seeing tour?  I wonder if anybody does dogsled tours up there this time of year.  That'd be a bunch of fun....

Have fun in Homer.  Great town.  Don't know what the eagle situation is there lately but boy, it sure was fun for the brief period where we could feed them out on the spit.

BTW, Haines, AK, down here in SEAK is great for eagles in mid November and as an added extra bonus you can often get eagles and swans in the same frame or eagles and salmon.  The trick is to go right before or right after the eagle festival so you have the place to yourself and the eagles are much less skittish.

Here's a fave of mine from the brief glory days in Homer, given an artsy treatment (and yep, it did land right at my feet, looking for a snack).  Shot with a 5D and Tamron 28-75 f/2.8

Cheers!

HEP

Talkeetna, Alaska
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 09:10:34 pm »

Thanks AK, I plan on hiking around a little and scoping tings out as well as ask a few questions. Not planning on the flightseeing tour but haven't ruled it out. Dog sleds are still running up there but the Iditarod is getting ready to start around the first of March.
I know what you mean about Haines, what a great place. I was told to go out onto the flats and eagles would be there, well they were ther but way out there. I found a location just outside of Hains near the river. Eagles and bears, two for the price of one feeding on the late run salmon.
I have a friend that just came back from Homer and the eagles are abundant around the dump and on the spit. Jean is still feeding them for the next two years. Just got my canon 500 L prime and can't wait to use it. How come I feel it will be over kill. Thanks for the input Ak...later....hep
by the way I walked right under this guy.....

Good luck with the weather!  I'm from SE AK so understand the rain and fog problem   I assume that this time of year the river up there will still be frozen over - it'd be worth hiking around for good photo spots if the weather's clear.  Locals might now some good spots.  Gonna do a flight seeing tour?  I wonder if anybody does dogsled tours up there this time of year.  That'd be a bunch of fun....

Have fun in Homer.  Great town.  Don't know what the eagle situation is there lately but boy, it sure was fun for the brief period where we could feed them out on the spit.

BTW, Haines, AK, down here in SEAK is great for eagles in mid November and as an added extra bonus you can often get eagles and swans in the same frame or eagles and salmon.  The trick is to go right before or right after the eagle festival so you have the place to yourself and the eagles are much less skittish.

Here's a fave of mine from the brief glory days in Homer, given an artsy treatment (and yep, it did land right at my feet, looking for a snack).  Shot with a 5D and Tamron 28-75 f/2.8

Cheers!

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176791\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

akclimber

Talkeetna, Alaska
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 10:00:01 pm »

Great peek-a-boo shot!

You'll be glad you have your 500, trust me!  Enjoy! (if you haven't thought about it already, taking extension tubes in case an eagle gets real, real, close, is worthwhile - I've used them up there with my 500).

CHeers!

Thanks AK, I plan on hiking around a little and scoping tings out as well as ask a few questions. Not planning on the flightseeing tour but haven't ruled it out. Dog sleds are still running up there but the Iditarod is getting ready to start around the first of March.
I know what you mean about Haines, what a great place. I was told to go out onto the flats and eagles would be there, well they were ther but way out there. I found a location just outside of Hains near the river. Eagles and bears, two for the price of one feeding on the late run salmon.
I have a friend that just came back from Homer and the eagles are abundant around the dump and on the spit. Jean is still feeding them for the next two years. Just got my canon 500 L prime and can't wait to use it. How come I feel it will be over kill. Thanks for the input Ak...later....hep
by the way I walked right under this guy.....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176802\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up