Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop CS3 crashing in Vista  (Read 3208 times)

drew

• http://www.andrewrichards.net
Photoshop CS3 crashing in Vista
« on: February 21, 2008, 05:12:07 pm »

I am interested to know if anybody else has encountered this problem and knows of a fix. I have recently updated hardware running the 32bit version of Vista, two desktop PCs with 4GB of RAM and a Vaio laptop, again with 4GB of RAM. Only 3-3.25 GB of this RAM can be seen by the OS, but CS3 does not seem to be able to utilise more than 1775MB of this RAM anyway with utilisation set in the preferences to 100%. With large, 16bit files open in CS3 (up to 850MB), I seem to be finding that CS3 often does a silent crash when I try to move the image on the desktop by cursor grabbing the top of the window frame. I strongly suspect that this is a bug in the aero interface of Vista. Am I right and what is the solution? I seem to be finding this as a common problem in all three machines.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 05:12:40 pm by drew »
Andrew Richards [url=http://www.andrewri

Farmer

Photoshop CS3 crashing in Vista
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 06:44:11 pm »

I am interested to know if anybody else has encountered this problem and knows of a fix. I have recently updated hardware running the 32bit version of Vista, two desktop PCs with 4GB of RAM and a Vaio laptop, again with 4GB of RAM. Only 3-3.25 GB of this RAM can be seen by the OS, but CS3 does not seem to be able to utilise more than 1775MB of this RAM anyway with utilisation set in the preferences to 100%. With large, 16bit files open in CS3 (up to 850MB), I seem to be finding that CS3 often does a silent crash when I try to move the image on the desktop by cursor grabbing the top of the window frame. I strongly suspect that this is a bug in the aero interface of Vista. Am I right and what is the solution? I seem to be finding this as a common problem in all three machines.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176480\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don't run at 100% - although CS3 is only taking 1775MB and in theory there's plenty left for the operating system and other apps, it's almost certainly where you're coming undone.  Knock it back to 75% and see how stability goes, then increase it to 80, 85 and then 90 - I wouldn't go over 90 but if you want to get every last byte out of it you can experiment further.

Aero may be an issue (it certainly takes resources) but the underlying problem will be the amount of resources CS3 is using.

The other thing to look at is where you have your CS3 Scratch file (and how much room there is for it) and where your Windows pagefile is (and again how much room it has).
Phil Brown
Pages: [1]   Go Up