Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gamut Plots  (Read 1822 times)

jpgentry

Gamut Plots
« on: February 21, 2008, 11:35:55 am »

I would like to know if someone could post their gamut plots for the Epson 11880 (9880, 7880, 4880 would be fine also) as compared to the Canon ipf series.  Anyone out there have both printers and the ability to do this?

Trying to wrap my mind around the differences on matte paper (or canvas) specifically.

The only must is that the paper be the same (matte or canvas) and that the same profiling equipment and methods are used.  It would be cool if the plots could be recorded as a spinning video in .mov or .wmv (even .avi) format.  

-Jonathan
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 11:39:19 am by jpgentry »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Gamut Plots
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 07:00:28 pm »

I would like to know if someone could post their gamut plots for the Epson 11880 (9880, 7880, 4880 would be fine also) as compared to the Canon ipf series.  Anyone out there have both printers and the ability to do this?

Trying to wrap my mind around the differences on matte paper (or canvas) specifically.

The only must is that the paper be the same (matte or canvas) and that the same profiling equipment and methods are used.  It would be cool if the plots could be recorded as a spinning video in .mov or .wmv (even .avi) format. 

-Jonathan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176422\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not sure this will help you.  Case in point, I profiled my iPF6100 on Hahnemuhle Museum etching without the correct color match setting back in October when I received the printer.  The gamut volume as measured by color think was substantially below what I expected, and when plotted against my Epson 3800 looks quite small.

As long as I use the same color match setting, the output looks great, and pretty much identical to the 3800 print.  For some time I tried to discover the reason my iPF6100 profiles where smaller than expected, even asking on the wiki.  I discovered my mistake about a month ago, and a few day's later even saw this suggested by some (perhaps one was even you).  So despite an incorrect setting, the profile still worked and delivered very good prints for the images I was printing. ( I haven't bothered re-profiling this paper because lately I don't even find myself using matte papers anymore.)

My point is looking at a comparison of gamut volume isn't much help.  All of the other factors ... build quality and reliability, convenience, speed, price ... it's a long list.  IQ is really one of the least significant points.

jpgentry

Gamut Plots
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 10:38:24 pm »

What you say is most likely true for most here but not for me.  I print for an artist who makes large canvas images that are highly saturated scenes designed with 3d programs and Photoshop.  These are printed on large canvases up to 57x75 and they are sold at high end art galleries around the country.  Think of the intensity of colors created by Hollywood in some of their special effects scenes.  Colors that go beyond what normal photography would have.  In fact much of what I will have in a tipical image will be out of gamut when soft proofing in Photoshop (mainly because I'm printing on canvas) and I will have to go back to the artist to have things pulled back to gamut in some cases.  

The images I print would have the best results on a glossy canvas but so far I haven't found one that both the artist likes (stretching-wise) and that I like.  Sometimes they flake and have other quality issues.  

I am looking to see how the 11880 does especially in dark tones and blue tones compared to the ipf line.  I would most likely be able to look at any matte and get an idea for where things stand.

-Jonathan

I'm not sure this will help you.  Case in point, I profiled my iPF6100 on Hahnemuhle Museum etching without the correct color match setting back in October when I received the printer.  The gamut volume as measured by color think was substantially below what I expected, and when plotted against my Epson 3800 looks quite small.

As long as I use the same color match setting, the output looks great, and pretty much identical to the 3800 print.  For some time I tried to discover the reason my iPF6100 profiles where smaller than expected, even asking on the wiki.  I discovered my mistake about a month ago, and a few day's later even saw this suggested by some (perhaps one was even you).  So despite an incorrect setting, the profile still worked and delivered very good prints for the images I was printing. ( I haven't bothered re-profiling this paper because lately I don't even find myself using matte papers anymore.)

My point is looking at a comparison of gamut volume isn't much help.  All of the other factors ... build quality and reliability, convenience, speed, price ... it's a long list.  IQ is really one of the least significant points.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176508\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 10:39:33 pm by jpgentry »
Pages: [1]   Go Up