Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guilin Yangshuo China for shooting  (Read 7438 times)

jadeleo

• http://www.guilinprivatetours.com
Guilin Yangshuo China for shooting
« on: February 21, 2008, 09:17:03 am »

China Guilin Yangshuo Travel tips.

Suggested in Guilin for one or two nights,  then the next day do Li River Cruise to get to Yangshuo.

Activities recommended in Guilin, Elephant Hill, Seven Star Park, Reed Flute Cave and lakes. If you like watching the show, do not miss Ethnic Folklore Show and Dreamlike Acobatic Show in the evening, the shows start at around 8pm or you can watch Cormarant Fishing.  You can also take a stroll in the Zhengyang Pedestrian in the evening to take some sovenier such Chinese traditional paintings in the ngiht market there.  There are many local restaurants around in the center near Sheraton Hotela and Waterfall Hotel, it is nice with reasonable price.  The local food in Guilin is famous for steamed mandarin fish of the Lijiang River, red cooked meat slices with Lipu taro covered by bowl, fish cooked in bamboo tube, steamed pork with rice flour wrapped in lotus leaves and Guilin rice noodle etc.

Reccommended hotel in Guilin, Sheraton Hotel and Waterfall Hotel (5*) locates in the center of city, the other one is Royal Garden Hotel locates at Li River side, it is 20 minutes walking distance to the center.  Bravo Hotel and Ronghu Lake, Park hotels(4*) are nice hotel with good location near lakes and center.

If you have time and want to have a relaxed holiday, you can stay in Yangshuo for 2 or 3 nights. Beer fish is the most famous food in Yangshuo and you can have a try. You can have nice western food in West Street.
Recommended hotels in Yangshuo, Paradise Hotel, Regency Hotel, Magnolia Hotel are very nice hotel with good location near West Street.  If you want to stay out of Yangshuo town,  Li River Retreat and Yangshuo Mountain Retreat are nice places for your stay.

Recommend activities in Yangshuo,  Liu Sanjie Light and Sound Show, (600 actors and actresses, 500 singers & dancers, bamboo boats and cormorants birds are used in this 70 minute show. it provided a strong backdrop to the hundreds of farmers on bamboo rafts, and floating stages, awash in color and light) If you like adventure, you should explore Water Cave to take muddy bath in the cave, climb up to the Moon Hill to see the panoramic view of countryside.  Visit Yolong River and do bamboo rafting in the river , it is very serene and relaxing, it is one of your best memory of your tour in China.  Or ride bike to the villages. You can also hire a private for sunrise or sunset tour in Li River.  

www.guilinprivatetours.com  is local expert offers the complete tour information for this area.
The best landscape in Yangshuo Guilin Ch

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 12:23:56 pm »

jadeleo,

Please keep your posts non-commercial!

I am not deleting the one above since you give good advice and I have done most of what you suggest  

But please stay away from commercial advertisements or the posts will be deleted. Thanks!

Chris S

NicoChina

• nicolasharter.com
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 08:31:15 am »

I think that Yangshuo and its surroundings are worth much more time than Guilin

+ i would save a day by skipping the trip in tourist-boat from Guilin to Yangshuo since most cool places are near Yangshuo. Better do it in 20 minutes in minibus and then spend your time in exploring the part of the river that is near Yangshuo (on foot/rented bicycle/bamboo raft/etc... there are plenty of things at hands that are far more photo-friendly than being packed in tourist-boats).

I don't find it so wise to split your time equally between both cities, neither from a photographic perspective nor for enjoyement.

Horatio

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 08:52:50 am »

Can you tell me if it is worthwhile staying in Xingping or traveling from Yangshou to photograph the fisherman at dawn and sunset?
How difficult is it to make arrangements for fisherman as models?  With other photographers doing the same thing, how does one make sure that they are not photographing the fisherman that someone else has paid for?
I am sure that there are only so many vantage points to have the right backdrops etc.
Many thanks.
[url=http://www.vanishingculturesphotogr

Chris_T

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 10:00:29 am »

jadeleo,

Please keep your posts non-commercial!

I am not deleting the one above since you give good advice and I have done most of what you suggest   

But please stay away from commercial advertisements or the posts will be deleted. Thanks!

Chris S
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is not the first time jadeleo posts these ads. The site offers no photo specific tours. I won't miss them if they don't show up again.

OTOH I would not mind seeing a dedicated forum for photo related commercial postings. Based on the following thread, LL's "official" policy on commercial postings is confusing to say the least.

[a href=\"http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21827]http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=21827[/url]

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 04:10:16 am »

Can you tell me if it is worthwhile staying in Xingping or traveling from Yangshou to photograph the fisherman at dawn and sunset?
How difficult is it to make arrangements for fisherman as models?  With other photographers doing the same thing, how does one make sure that they are not photographing the fisherman that someone else has paid for?
I am sure that there are only so many vantage points to have the right backdrops etc.
Many thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177202\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi

Ok, lets share of my travels to Guilin, Li River and Yangshou...

First, let me say I am a very frequent travler and I usually do not stay at five star hotels (although I have done so also). Nor do I normally stay at backpacker places but prefer something more average, as long as clean and safe. On travels I usually prefer a hotel with more local character than the likes of luxury can offer. It is cheaper (of course) and in China you can find many good such. If you are not used to travel and picking hotels, check www.tripadvisor.com for reviews.

I frequent travel to China and was in China 9 times last year alone. Normally I use www.ctrip.com to book flights and hotels, but for flights you need to have tickets delivered to your hotel in e.g. Shanghai and pay with Chinese CASH from Your Hand to the person delivering the tickets. Ctrip is very timely if you ask for specific time to deliver tickets and they are fully dependable, but do match their time since they are fast service and busy. They do have service in English (however the person who delivers do not speak English (unless that has changed last year). I also lived in Shanghai before so this is how I know of them. They are one of largest agents for air travel tickets and hotel reservations in China.

I have been to Guilin and Yangshuo two times, first time 2002 then again 2004. First time I booked a Chinese tour at Chinese travel agent at Lu Wo Station when crossing into Shenzhen from Hong Kong. They put me on Chinese cruise boat on Li River, which was great. It does require you to have an open mind to communicate with Chinese who not always speak much English and to share in eating from plates with dishes in Chinese style (this food is good!). I should say I am a bit adventurous and used to travel though. Buying tour in China is normally cheaper than in Hong Kong or other country. Ok, Chinese tour means that tour guide spoke Chinese which did not matter since I wanted to photograph rather than listen to someone speak. Some guides can speak some English also, but not all... but usually some other passengers can speak some English.

Second time to Guilin I booked a hotel in Guilin (Gulin Bravo Hotel or similar name) and in Yangshuo per a search on internet.
Looking at Ctrip now I do not see that they have listings in Yangshuo though. From what I recall I found a local styled hotel on internet that was located on the street that runs alongside where the tourist boats dock in Yangshuo. For a first timer it can be worthwhile to go on the Li River cruise to Yangshuo. However, try to get on a very early one. Normally they seem to run one after each other which on peak hours are a more like an eternal caravan of boats. For best photos it is best to hire a car, taxi or similar, or even bicycles.

If my memory serve me right it is near Xingping that the most striking, famous and beautiful scenery is along the river. In spring and if I remember correct early May there can be beautiful fog in mornings, but this can of course also clear early.

Speaking to a girl at the business center of my hotel in Guilin, she had a friend in Yangshou who was happy to work as a "tour guide" for me and who helped to also book a car with driver in Yangshou. Xingping is around 20 minutes drive from Yangshou. Thus there is no problem to stay in Yangshou over night. I am not sure if there is any hotel in Xing ping but there are some basic resturants. As a photographer I would stay away from normal tour guides, since they just show you famous tour sights and are far more expensive for individual travels than hiring some keen local with local knowledge. The guy I found was a young newly graduate and in fact he said he had as much fun as me when we were saying goodbye so at first he did not want to accept payment! He also took me bicylce to a smaller river where we went on bamboo floats down river for two hours and then on bicyle back Yangshou. It was great fun!

For a first timer I would recommend to also stay a day or so in Guilin since as OP says there are some famous parks there also. Do a search on intrent for info, or simply ask when you arrive to your hotel in Guilin! Guilin is also famous for its art school which can be an excellent place to buy quality paintings since also the teachers sell their work at the school. That is also away from the tourist trail and paintings sold to tourists...

I hope above adds plenty of info on Gulin & Yangshou, and of how you can travel in China. The locals with bamboo floats at the scenic sights? Small money will get them to pose... but please do not pay too much or you make this and more places of travels far too expensive! Kindly pay local levels of amounts. Perhaps have your Chinese guide negotiate price? Else this will become like some other places I have travelled, simply a place that is as expensive or even more expensive than Europe or America to travel in...

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 04:16:05 am by Anders_HK »

Horatio

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 06:46:52 am »

Thank you Anders for your very informative reply.  
[url=http://www.vanishingculturesphotogr

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 09:18:03 am »

Thank you Anders for your very informative reply.   
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177670\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am happy if what I post is of help. China just like any country of course have people of good and bad. If I can characterize Chinese for a westerner though, it is that they are often keen to learn of foreign cultures, friendly, and indeed like to have a good time when they are out and travel. They also do not mind much to mingle with foreigners. The normal tour guides may have a different opinion. On my last trip they shuffled me onto a cruise boat with foreginers and to be frank it was more boring and food was buffet style Chinese stule smorgas board which was not as good as the Chinese style of sharing from newly cooked plates of foods as was on my first trip.

Also, going back into my memory, when on my last trip to Guilin asking around for photographic guides, one tour agent sent one guide to my hotel without my knowledge. However, my "real" guide also showed up... so it was quick revealed. Just like in any place, use commone sense and intuition....

Looking at files in computer, my guide that last time was Mr. Zhou. If his mobile is still same, perhaps try call him and remind him of me and if he has time perhaps he can guide you? He knows the area because he is from Yangshou and did live there when I was there. Per my records his mobile was 138 0783 0883.

Regards
Anders

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 09:57:53 am »

I am a repeated photographic poster on this website. Thus allow me to also direct comment on the website that jadeleo lists in his profile as his home page; www.guilinprivatetours.com. I hold respect to anyone building their business. However that webpage lists prices in USD. Why? Guilin is China. I would only pay China RMB and CHINA levels of prices. What i paid my guide was less than prices listed on that page. If my memory serves me correct I recall I paid around 600 or maybe 800 rmb for the car with driver for one day, but please dont hold me to that... and considerably less for my guide. The prices seem on terms of what I paid for tours in Australia, Europe, America. Actually perhaps more. However, do bear in mind that I did not have a tourist guide from a tourist agent when in Yangshou. Guilin and Yangshou do not offer the developed urban scenes and facilities as places in the west, nor is it as expensvive to live in for locals as it is in the west. Thus I frank do not see point why we should pay such level of prices. In all respect. Now please do not block my account, I am just using my sincere directness from travels to near 40 countries and having lived in 9. Indeed I have travelled many places in China also.

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 03:48:13 pm by Anders_HK »
Pages: [1]   Go Up