Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lens Rental vs Purchase  (Read 10749 times)

edorm

Lens Rental vs Purchase
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2008, 10:36:08 am »

That's right, I am looking for the 500mm f4L IS. I just was mentioning what I found and thought someone might comment how it compared with the new f4L IS. I think your summation of it "not in the same league" answers that question. I have been buying video and camera equipment from B&H with positive results but I'll also check out Allan's now. Thanks.

I thought you were looking for a 500mm f4L IS...  The 400 f4.5 is not in the same league at all.

For what it's worth, I live in Canada but have been buying lenses from Allan of Allan's Camera in the States for many years now.  Great prices (better than B&H), and OUTSTANDING service.  888-547-2841

Good luck...

Eldor
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177053\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

edorm

Lens Rental vs Purchase
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2008, 04:52:01 pm »

Thanks for the contact. I'll call him tomorrow. Are you from Colorado? My wife and I were both born and raised in Grand Junction. However, we've been in southern Oregon for 23 years now.

Contact Hunt's Camera in Boston and ask for Gary Farber.  See what kind of price you can get from him.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177005\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Colorado David

Lens Rental vs Purchase
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2008, 01:13:59 pm »

Yes, I'm one of the few natives, however I don't live there now.  I hope to again one day.

edorm

Lens Rental vs Purchase
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2008, 01:59:36 pm »

We return every other year for a family reunion and we'll be going this August. A couple of years ago I got some very nice shots of the fall colors from Grand Mesa and some from the Colorado National Monument. My favorite though was a rainbow over Mt Garfield after an afternoon thunderstorm. My wife would like to move back someday but I don't think that it is too likely.

Yes, I'm one of the few natives, however I don't live there now.  I hope to again one day.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177283\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

edorm

Lens Rental vs Purchase
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2008, 02:33:31 pm »

I got a price quote from Allen's Camera and surprisingly his prices are just like you said, lower than B&H. Are there any surprises, like expensive shipping rates?

I thought you were looking for a 500mm f4L IS...  The 400 f4.5 is not in the same league at all.

For what it's worth, I live in Canada but have been buying lenses from Allan of Allan's Camera in the States for many years now.  Great prices (better than B&H), and OUTSTANDING service.  888-547-2841

Good luck...

Eldor
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177053\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Eldor

• http://www.gemst.com/photos
Lens Rental vs Purchase
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2008, 08:09:25 pm »

I got a price quote from Allen's Camera and surprisingly his prices are just like you said, lower than B&H. Are there any surprises, like expensive shipping rates?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177304\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, no surprises that I know of.  Allan told me that since January he's got a better deal with UPS than before, so his shipping rates are better now than they were before.  But I didn't find them unreasonable before either.

But remember that I'm in Canada, so the shipping rates I'm familiar with are from the States to here.  I always insist on UPS Expedited.  I have no idea what his rates are within the States but I have no reason to think they won't be reasonable.

I've been buying from him for about 4 years now (got my 500mm f4L IS from him, as well as a 300 f2.8L IS, 85 f1.2L, 35mm f1.4L, 180mm f3.5L Macro, one of my 1D Mark III's and probably a whole bunch of other stuff that I'm forgetting).  I have no idea how big they are or what their place looks like, but I've been more than pleased with their service over the years.  He's honest and reliable.

And no, I have absolutely no involvement with them other than being a very satisfied customer (and from another country at that!).

You will absolutely love that lens!  It's one of my favorites.

Cheers!

edorm

Lens Rental vs Purchase
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2008, 10:14:39 pm »

Thank you for sharing your experiences with Allen's Camera. He has a one page web site with a picture of the front of his store. I'm assuming the picture is current but it may not be. It doesn't appear to be a large store, like B&H, and yet his prices are very good. You also mentioned that his service is good. Sounds like a winner to me.

No, no surprises that I know of.  Allan told me that since January he's got a better deal with UPS than before, so his shipping rates are better now than they were before.  But I didn't find them unreasonable before either.

But remember that I'm in Canada, so the shipping rates I'm familiar with are from the States to here.  I always insist on UPS Expedited.  I have no idea what his rates are within the States but I have no reason to think they won't be reasonable.

I've been buying from him for about 4 years now (got my 500mm f4L IS from him, as well as a 300 f2.8L IS, 85 f1.2L, 35mm f1.4L, 180mm f3.5L Macro, one of my 1D Mark III's and probably a whole bunch of other stuff that I'm forgetting).  I have no idea how big they are or what their place looks like, but I've been more than pleased with their service over the years.  He's honest and reliable.

And no, I have absolutely no involvement with them other than being a very satisfied customer (and from another country at that!).

You will absolutely love that lens!  It's one of my favorites.

Cheers!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177380\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up