Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cibachrom Paper/Printer combo  (Read 4275 times)

Zachary Goulko

Cibachrom Paper/Printer combo
« on: February 20, 2008, 12:14:17 pm »

I have been using an Epson 4800 with ImagePrint for the past couple years, and although I am getting very good results with glossy paper, I cannot achieve shiny "mirror-like" results. My favorite so far is the high gloss film from Pictorico and Ilford, however, I believe I can get better results with either different paper or different paper/printer combo.

Is there anyone here that has been able to achieve that life-like "Cibachrome" look from an inkjet? I know that dye-based inks work better with glossy.
Zachary Goulko
www.goulko.com

KenS

• Spark of Light Photography
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 08:42:25 pm »

I have been using an Epson 4800 with ImagePrint for the past couple years, and although I am getting very good results with glossy paper, I cannot achieve shiny "mirror-like" results. My favorite so far is the high gloss film from Pictorico and Ilford, however, I believe I can get better results with either different paper or different paper/printer combo.

Is there anyone here that has been able to achieve that life-like "Cibachrome" look from an inkjet? I know that dye-based inks work better with glossy.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176199\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I printed on Cibachrome for years and the mirror-like surface is the only thing I miss now that I print with an Epson 7800.  I didn't care much for Pictorico and after trying numerous glossy papers I've come to the conclusion that there is not any equivalent to Ciba in the inkjet world.  If anyone knows differently I sure would like to know about it.

Ken

booksmartstudio

• http://www.booksmartstudio.com/
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 05:06:01 pm »

The closest thing I have seen to cibachrome is Booksmart Fine Art Metals, specifically the Satin Silver surface.

Kory Gunnasen
Digital Printing Lab Mana

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 07:09:16 pm »

One way to emulate the high-gloss of Cibachrome is to over-laminate clear polycarbonate sheeting on the print. My lab used to do this years ago for trade show displays during the pre-digital dark ages.

I believe they still do this today with some of their products. It's a matter of finding the right adhesive that won't degrade the print too much.

The laminated prints had the nice high gloss of Cibachrome, but since the sheets were thicker, it was even more luxurious looking than Ciba in some ways and most of their printing .

Maybe a solution to the Pictorico high-gloss surface is to use a glossy lacquer to equalize the gloss differential. I haven't tried it but would suspect that this may be a way to emulate the high-gloss we loved with Cibachrome.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up