Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Any new 17" printer rumours?  (Read 25003 times)

Dale_Cotton

• http://daystarvisions.com
Any new 17" printer rumours?
« on: February 20, 2008, 09:19:23 am »

I'm just about to spring for a 3800 and would hate to find out the morning after that something more appropriate had just been announced. I swap between MK and PK frequently, but am not prepared to pay an extra grand for the Canon 5100.

Also: I pulled the life support on my clog-happy 4000 about a month ago. I have a taker for the remaining inks, but if anyone wants the actual printer for parts, it's free for the taking. I'm in the Toronto area.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 09:34:42 am »

I haven't check prices on the iPF5100 recently, but there was a post on DP Review a couple of days ago stating prices had decreased to the $1200-1300 range, probably to be competitive with the Epson 3800.  Might be useful to check the current prices if the 5100 is still under consideration.

--John

jpegman

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 10:09:03 am »

Do "steep" rebates signal warehouse cleanout?

Just got this email from Calumet - Buy an Epson 3800 with $150 of Exhibition Fiber Papers and get a Free Epson P-3000 (40Gb Photo Viewer - $420 value). With a few recent rebates on the 3800, is Epson trying to clear out their warehouse before they introduce the 3880?

If interested in Calumets offer, check it out at:

http://link.ixs1.net/s/ve?eli=s178731&si=t...61634&cfc=3html

Jpegman

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 10:13:07 am »

...would hate to find out the morning after that something more appropriate [than the 3800] had just been announced....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176167\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

With you there Dale. I'm holding out for the 11880's no-ink-swapping little 17" brother-from-another-mother since my Epson 4000 is showing its age. I can hold out probably until fall.

I figure it's worth damn near zero even in excellent shape, hardly worth shipping it, so I'll hook it up with K7 inks for B&W printing.
michael sebast

Dale_Cotton

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 11:41:17 am »

Thanks to all so far!

John H. wrote:
prices had decreased to the $1200-1300 range
Google says this is a single vendor called www.ITSupplies.com. So I'd be leery even if I lived in the USA, which I don't.

Jpegman wrote:
With a few recent rebates on the 3800, is Epson trying to clear out their warehouse before they introduce the 3880?
Excellent question. But another question is whether a 3880 would only have the the Vivid Magenta ink set and not address the black swapping problem. That would be the easy route for Epson.

Mikeseb wrote:
so I'll hook it up with K7 inks for B&W printing
I don't do b&w but I'm curious whether the K7 inks would somehow get around the clogging problem? Are they dye-based, for instance? If so, if anyone in the Toronto area wants to cook up a b&w printer, my 4000 remains available.

Another point worth mentioning is that we just had the big trade show in Vegas; and as I understand not another until the fall or later. Product announcements seem to often but not always precede a trade show.

jpgentry

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 12:40:17 pm »

ITSupplies is a VERY legit company.  I've done business with them, but there are others like Shades of Paper who are closer to me and also have excellent prices.

Google says this is a single vendor called www.ITSupplies.com. So I'd be leery even if I lived in the USA, which I don't.

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 01:24:03 pm »

With you there Dale. I'm holding out for the 11880's no-ink-swapping little 17" brother-from-another-mother since my Epson 4000 is showing its age. I can hold out probably until fall.

I figure it's worth damn near zero even in excellent shape, hardly worth shipping it, so I'll hook it up with K7 inks for B&W printing.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176178\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ditto here.  Just getting ready for another power cleaning, but have to buy some more ink first

John Hollenberg

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 01:44:39 pm »

ITSupplies is a VERY legit company.  I've done business with them, but there are others like Shades of Paper who are closer to me and also have excellent prices.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176206\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Agreed.  I have had excellent service from ITSupplies.  They are at the top of my list for future orders.  If you don't live in the U.S., that is of course another story.

--John

Dale_Cotton

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 04:20:21 pm »

Thanks again. With the smell of burning bridges as a background I just ordered a 3800 from CCBC.

TSupplies is a VERY legit company  ... I have had excellent service from ITSupplies.
Thanks, both, for setting the record straight. In a way I'm glad ITSupplies does not operate in Canada. I could of course order a 5100 up from the US and accept the customs hit and possible warranty complications, but thinking about it rubbed my nose in the fact that I'm just not ready to leave the Epson fold, in spite of my problems with the 4000. Better the devil you know... ;)

Tim Gray wrote:
ust getting ready for another power cleaning, but have to buy some more ink first
In reference to a previous post: the trick is to immediately fold the CCBC sales receipt in half without looking at the cumulative total. ;) Imagine what my total will be with a 3800 tacked on to four years of consumables. ;) Not sure whether to be glad or sad that power cleaning didn't solve my 4000's clogging probs.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 06:03:03 pm »

Excellent question. But another question is whether a 3880 would only have the the Vivid Magenta ink set and not address the black swapping problem. That would be the easy route for Epson.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176192\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would suggest it is logical as well, since the ink swap issue on a 3800 is a relatively minor one, certainly nothing to compare to the 48/78/98xx printer series.  I'm not sure it needs addressed on a 3800/3880 upgrade.

Dale_Cotton

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 06:31:44 pm »

Wayne wrote:
since the ink swap issue on a 3800 is a relatively minor one, certainly nothing to compare to the 48/78/98xx printer series
Wayne: minor for a single swap, sure - but cumulatively? Eric Chan in his 3800 Wiki estimates $3.00US/CDN for a switch from one black to the other and back. I might easily have done that four or five times per week with the 4000, since the odds that any two images I wanted to print would both be MK or both be PK were less than 50/50. I don't fancy having to make the choice between printing a pic now or ganging up jobs on the one hand vs. pouring as much ink into the maintenance tank per week as I would have clearing clogs with the 4000 on the other hand. Am I missing something here?

Frankly, I'm gambling that I can comfortably change my habits to cut back on swaps to no more than one per week. Of course, I'm speaking as an amateur here. For paying jobs it's no great hit to add an extra $3 per swap to the invoice.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 08:33:22 pm »

Wayne: minor for a single swap, sure - but cumulatively? Eric Chan in his 3800 Wiki estimates $3.00US/CDN for a switch from one black to the other and back.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176287\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You are right ... if you are constantly swapping blacks this is more problematic.  But still far less than the bigger printers, and it still seems logical from an engineering perspective to get a 3880 printer to market you most likely wouldn't re-engineer the machine because of the ink swap.  This would involve a complete new head.  It would be a nice add, so maybe Epson will surprise us.

It is a bigger deal on the 48/78/9880 printers, and I hope Michael's guess is right about a photokina announcement to put the 11880 head into these smaller printers.  That would be a significant upgrade .. higher quality, clog problems pretty well gone, almost twice as fast as the previous printers.  That head is so expensive it begs the question whether they can actually put it in an affordable smaller printer ... they may end up with a new line of "high" end printers and charge a little premium over the cost of the current printers, leaving the current printers also available.  Fun to speculate  

I'm so enthralled with the quality of the new fiber/baryta papers and their look that I'm inclined to agree with Michael ... just as Epson appears they are attempting to address the ink swap issue, I may find I won't be using matte black anymore anyway.  I have an 11880, and haven't used MK for several weeks.  Maybe the love affair with Epson Exhibition Fiber will end when I get the bill from my paper supplier

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 09:14:14 pm »

Back to the original question of this thread. I wonder why HP hasn't introduced a 17 inch wide printer? They could either scale up the B9180 to accommodate 17 inch, or shrink down a Z series printer. Obviously there are pros and cons to each.

I seriously think that the entire market is missing the boat. Here most 17 inch printers are between $1300 and $1800 (street), and these guys could be upselling all of us on 17 wide printers with a 24 inch wide carriage. The current 24" printers all have horrible support for cut sheets. Why not make a 24" wide printer with a 17" or 24" cassette on the front, while still retaining the roll paper assembly on the back?

Just a thought. I know I would buy one, because I don't have the room for more than 1 printer.
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

DarkPenguin

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 09:46:15 pm »

Has HP ever produced a 17" printer?

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 10:57:36 pm »

Incentives have been around for the 3800 for quite some time (even before PPE last fall, if I remember correctly). I wouldn't take it as a sign that it will be replaced immediately.

That said, the 3800 came out in September 2006 so it wouldn't be a huge surprise to see an update sometime later this year or early next year.
Eric Chan

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 02:25:12 am »

HP do make 18" printers, ,and if it were up to me a pigment 18" would be the way to go.
Yes HP should have had on ready for market a long time ago. Makes me wonder if they are as serious about the pro photo market as they would have us believe.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 03:35:54 am »

Back to the original question of this thread. I wonder why HP hasn't introduced a 17 inch wide printer? They could either scale up the B9180 to accommodate 17 inch, or shrink down a Z series printer. Obviously there are pros and cons to each.

I seriously think that the entire market is missing the boat. Here most 17 inch printers are between $1300 and $1800 (street), and these guys could be upselling all of us on 17 wide printers with a 24 inch wide carriage. The current 24" printers all have horrible support for cut sheets. Why not make a 24" wide printer with a 17" or 24" cassette on the front, while still retaining the roll paper assembly on the back?

Just a thought. I know I would buy one, because I don't have the room for more than 1 printer.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Like Neil I think there should be a 17" Vivera pigment printer. My estimation is that it should look like a hybrid of the Z3100 and the B9180. With calibration but not a spectrometer aboard or possibly a cheaper HP colorimeter based one with HP profile creation software, X-rite will be too expensive. 10 channels instead of 12. 69 ML carts. It has to compete between the 3800 and the Canon iPF5100. A Z3100 scaled down would be too expensive, a B9180 scaled up without gloss enhancer will have it difficult in that market. And yes it should handle sheets like no other printer can, including dual side printing without smudges.

Epson still has to upgrade the x800 range, the 7880,9880 was a stop gap solution. The 3800 will stay and another 17" model with 9 channels or possibly 10 will be next to it with roll paper capacity etc. Like the 1520 was available next to the 3000.

All IMHO of course.

Ernst Dinkla

try: [a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/[/url]

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 04:11:50 am »

If HP makes a 17 inch printer like the B9180 I would buy it.  That's a great printer. I was told by a local dealer that HP is well aware of the need, but not to expect anything this year. :-(
Rolleiflex USA

alain

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2008, 06:14:15 am »

Incentives have been around for the 3800 for quite some time (even before PPE last fall, if I remember correctly). I wouldn't take it as a sign that it will be replaced immediately.

That said, the 3800 came out in September 2006 so it wouldn't be a huge surprise to see an update sometime later this year or early next year.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176330\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The R2400 is older than the 3800, so it could be another year (or two).

DarkPenguin

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2008, 09:09:49 am »

If HP makes a 17 inch printer like the B9180 I would buy it.  That's a great printer. I was told by a local dealer that HP is well aware of the need, but not to expect anything this year. :-(
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176369\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If they do I hope it isn't proportionally larger than the B9180.  I'd hate to have to find 40% more space for that thing.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up