Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which 11880 Paper types to pick for custom ICC pro  (Read 3523 times)

sonamair

Which 11880 Paper types to pick for custom ICC pro
« on: February 19, 2008, 07:08:03 pm »

A question
I will be printing out targets to do custom profiling of three papers initially through InkJetArt.com
These are as follows
1 Hahnemuhle FineArt Baryta 325 gsm
2 Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 308 gsm
3 Ilford Gold Fibre Silk

There are so many choices in the print menu and InkJetArt was not specific...wondering if anyone here has done this for these papers or has any thoughts...
My best guess so far is "premium luster" for 3
                                  "premium photo" for 1
                                  "Ultrasmooth fine art" for 2

The list in the driver is as follows: Enhance Matte, Archival Matte, Textured fine art, Watercolor paper-radient white, Velvet fine art,
Premium Gloss Photopaper ( also 250 or 170 versions )
Luster photo paper ( also a 260 version )
Premium semigloss photo paper ( also a 250 or 170 version )
Also if anyone cares to explain what these different settings do differently and how important it is to get the " best " choice or closest match.... it would be most appreciated.
Many many thanks in advance
Howie

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 09:55:55 pm »

Hahnemuhle has profiles available for the Epson 11880 for those papers.  Their profiles are based on Velvet Fine Art for Photo Rag Satin, and Premium Lustre (260) for the baryta - logical starting points for your profiles.

The Ilford paper sounds very similar to both Exhibition Fiber and Fine Art Baryta.  I believe most recommend using Lustre 260 for both of those, so that's what I would try for the Gold Silk. I would suspect they have profiles as well for Epson printers, you may dig around and see choice they base their profiles on.

The paper choice sets up the basic options that are available for particular paper types, (such as the dpi quality settings), as well as the basic values for things such as the platen gap, drying time per pass, paper thickness, photo or matte black ink, suction strength etc. as well as how much ink load the printer is allowed to print.  On some papers tweaking those may improve results which can be done in the paper configuration dialog box.  Some recommend changing the platen gap to widest or wide if their are problems with streaks or smears with these new thick papers, however, on my 11880 with Epson Exhibition Fiber the default as worked quite well, and I would expect the hahnemuhle and ilford papers would be quite similar.

sonamair

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 10:35:38 pm »

Thanks Wayne,
What a treasure of information you are! A big thank you for your time and expertise.
For those paper companies that don't yet have the 11880 profiles but do have the 9880 ...with all those parameters you noted being influenced would it be correct to assume those ICC profiles may or may not be close to what one will get when they update and add 11880 ICC profiles?
Some of the companies are only offering 9800 ICC profiles and I would guess those would be even further off ..
Ilford has the 9880, but not the 11880 yet
On the Inkjetart.com site they have a specific target to print simply to help pick the paper type setting...they want you to be able to differenciate with this ..once printed out...between shades of black/grey among other things...The scale was in incements of 5 with 0 being full on black and 100 being white...I tried this only with the Ilford paper and printed it with Luster then the Luster 260....They wanted me to see a difference between the 5 to 10 % bands....I dont think I could see a difference at either setting unfortunately, but interestingly I found the luster without the 260 to differentiateever so slightly better from 0 through 35....
For what it is worth...
Thanks Howie

Hahnemuhle has profiles available for the Epson 11880 for those papers.  Their profiles are based on Velvet Fine Art for Photo Rag Satin, and Premium Lustre (260) for the baryta - logical starting points for your profiles.

The Ilford paper sounds very similar to both Exhibition Fiber and Fine Art Baryta.  I believe most recommend using Lustre 260 for both of those, so that's what I would try for the Gold Silk. I would suspect they have profiles as well for Epson printers, you may dig around and see choice they base their profiles on.

The paper choice sets up the basic options that are available for particular paper types, (such as the dpi quality settings), as well as the basic values for things such as the platen gap, drying time per pass, paper thickness, photo or matte black ink, suction strength etc. as well as how much ink load the printer is allowed to print.  On some papers tweaking those may improve results which can be done in the paper configuration dialog box.  Some recommend changing the platen gap to widest or wide if their are problems with streaks or smears with these new thick papers, however, on my 11880 with Epson Exhibition Fiber the default as worked quite well, and I would expect the hahnemuhle and ilford papers would be quite similar.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176094\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 01:27:31 pm »

For those paper companies that don't yet have the 11880 profiles but do have the 9880 ...with all those parameters you noted being influenced would it be correct to assume those ICC profiles may or may not be close to what one will get when they update and add 11880 ICC profiles?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176100\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If they do not have an 11880 profile, the paper type selection for the 9880 or 9800 would be a logical starting point.  After all, the settings are based on a common paper type between the 3 printers.

On the Inkjetart.com site they have a specific target to print simply to help pick the paper type setting...they want you to be able to differenciate with this ..once printed out...between shades of black/grey among other things...The scale was in incements of 5 with 0 being full on black and 100 being white...I tried this only with the Ilford paper and printed it with Luster then the Luster 260....They wanted me to see a difference between the 5 to 10 % bands....I dont think I could see a difference at either setting unfortunately, but interestingly I found the luster without the 260 to differentiateever so slightly better from 0 through 35....
For what it is worth...
Thanks Howie
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176100\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I haven't seen that target, but there is some logic to the concept.  As far as it's usefulness, you can reduce the ink density when printing the targets to obtain a visual difference.  With really good papers and the 11880 this is opposite of what a few are doing (Joseph Holmes for example)... some are trying to increase the ink load by 5-15% to gain even more dMax and gamut.  Even though there may not be a visual difference in the blacks, there probably is a measurable one, and a good profile can account for this.

I have found the default settings to work very well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up