Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mark Dubovoy's EEF Review/Paper Preference  (Read 3753 times)

Alistair

Mark Dubovoy's EEF Review/Paper Preference
« on: February 18, 2008, 08:07:28 pm »

In his very useful review of Epson's Exhibition Fibre, Mark Dubovoy traversed a number of peripheral topics of considerable interest to me. One of them is his currently preferred paper, Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl. I quote from his article:

"The paper is Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl. The advantages of this paper are clear. On my Epson 9800, I use the “Ultrasmooth Fine Art” media setting to deliver a lot more ink to the paper. As a result, I can get an outstanding D-Max of 2.4 (measured with my Macbeth TD 1224 transmission/reflection densitometer) and a very good color gamut."

I am currently trialling this paper in an Epson 3800. However the Dmax I am achieving is a relatively disappointing 2.1 (ish). I would like to try Mark's method of using the “Ultrasmooth Fine Art” setting. However Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl calls for the use of PK ink. Selecting “Ultrasmooth Fine Art” in the Epson driver causes the printer to automatically change to MK ink.

So is Mark using MK on this PK paper or is there a way to get the printer to use PK on an MK paper. If the latter, how is this achieved?

All and any responses or suggestions gratefully received!

regards

Alistair
Alistair

01af

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 11:50:09 am »

Unlike the Epson 3800 (which has eight print heads but nine cart slots so it can, and will, switch between PK and MK automatically), the Epson 4800, 7800, and 9800 models have eight print heads and eight cart slots. So in order to swtch black inks, you must pull and swap the black ink cartridges manually. As a consequence, it is possible to select a paper and use the "wrong" black ink with it.

-- Olaf

Alistair

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 02:53:56 pm »

Unlike the Epson 3800 (which has eight print heads but nine cart slots so it can, and will, switch between PK and MK automatically), the Epson 4800, 7800, and 9800 models have eight print heads and eight cart slots. So in order to swtch black inks, you must pull and swap the black ink cartridges manually. As a consequence, it is possible to select a paper and use the "wrong" black ink with it.

-- Olaf
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=175958\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the response Olaf. My recollection of the eight slot machines though, is that the driver recognises whether the cartridge is MK or PK and restricts the papers available in the relevant drop-down to matt papers if MK installed and gloss/semi-gloss if PK installed.

Does Mark's printer (9800) not do that or is there a way to "fool" the printer? Or does Mark achieve the 2.4 dmax using MK ink?

That is my question.

regards

Alistair
Alistair

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 07:06:27 pm »

Thanks for the response Olaf. My recollection of the eight slot machines though, is that the driver recognises whether the cartridge is MK or PK and restricts the papers available in the relevant drop-down to matt papers if MK installed and gloss/semi-gloss if PK installed.

Does Mark's printer (9800) not do that or is there a way to "fool" the printer? Or does Mark achieve the 2.4 dmax using MK ink?

That is my question.

regards

Alistair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176008\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
In the case of my 2400, the print driver will let you use matte paper types with photo black ink but I don't think it allows the other way around. The larger printers (other than 3800) may be the same way.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 10:13:48 pm »

When you switch black inks in the 9800 (or similar) series printer you have to reload the print driver, which switches your available media types to ones that normal only use that type of ink. If you want to print on a Photo Black paper but using Matte inks, you only have to choose the best media type for your "wrong" paper. I've been printing Hahnemühle Fine Art Pearl using Matte inks on my 9800 for some time. Works great. After feeding an unconverted test file through on several media settings, it was the Ultra Smooth Fine Art that seemed a perfect match. Profiled that with ProfileMaker and it's a wonderful combo. The biggest difference is that I'm now getting real blacks from that paper, which was pretty pitiful with Photo black. I don't have a densitomter, but the "L" readings came down from about 14 with PK to around 7 or 8 with MK. The only negative effect is that on some images there is a very slight gloss differential in the blacks, which is cured with a coat of Premier Fine Art Shield.

I've even used this for pre-press proofs and had the printer comment that they were the nicest looking inkjet proofs they had ever seen. Very close to final press.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 03:16:01 am »

If you want to print on a Photo Black paper but using Matte inks, you only have to choose the best media type for your "wrong" paper. I've been printing Hahnemühle Fine Art Pearl using Matte inks on my 9800 for some time. Works great.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There is the other possibility that he uses Imageprint or another RIP that allows PK + MK on an 8 head wide format Epson and no Light Gray ink. Phatte solution.

It is possible that not all is told about that high Dmax, I think you still need a varnish or gloss enhancer on that print then to get no gloss differential and the high Dmax. Matte Black on any paper isn't automatically delivering that high Dmax.

There are several discussions on the Digital B&W list how to use Matte Black inks + varnish or glop.

[a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint[/url]

Ernst Dinkla

try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Alistair

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 08:10:12 pm »

Many thanks for all your generous supplies. They have been very useful.

regards

Alistair
Alistair

Farmer

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 08:45:38 pm »

When you switch black inks in the 9800 (or similar) series printer you have to reload the print driver[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176096\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

To clarify, the need to reload the driver is only apparent on some OS X installs.  It's never required under Windows (and I can't tell you off the top of my head if this is improved under 10.5 - hopefully it is).
Phil Brown

Alistair

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 11:06:34 pm »

Many thanks for all your generous supplies. They have been very useful.

regards

Alistair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176523\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I meant of course "generous replies". Its been a long day....
Alistair
Pages: [1]   Go Up