Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Interior Lights  (Read 47616 times)

LiamStrain

• http://www.streetlevel-photography.com
Interior Lights
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2009, 10:46:59 am »

Thanks for everyone who has chipped in and shared their experience and information here.

This is a great thread - enough to get me to join the forum just to share my gratitude.

I'm still shooting 4x5 film - and with the recent negative emulsions (Portra 160 and Fuji 160) in the mix, I manage to preserve a bit more dynamic range than I could with chromes, somewhat alleviating my need for alot of lights, and allows me to be sensitive to the light as designed by the architect.

That said, I still take a 3000w/s pack and three heads. A few slaved battery flashes I can tuck into corners, and a few hotlights, but my light kit is nowhere close to what I want it to be. And every shoot, I find another gap I'd like to fill, rather than trying to jury rig with what I have.

Baby steps.

Thanks all.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 11:06:27 am by LiamStrain »

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
Interior Lights
« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2009, 11:28:28 am »

it just feels dated to me now
CB

Well maybe that because I am dated.........I am 60 years old
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 12:30:07 pm by Kirk Gittings »
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

arashm

Interior Lights
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2009, 11:56:29 am »

Very Interesting so far, thank you!

CB: do you find you get a lot of mixed reactions from clients when you have "blue" windows?
it seems to be a sore spot for some of my clients.

This is how I work, some spaces are lit more than others, some are all day light.
I process the file out a few different ways, ie: one for the window's, one for the dark area, one for correct WB of some light that was too much to try to balance while shooting, and some times because if we can't hide a light, I just do another exposure and only take the lit part from the file that has the stands and cables in the image.
These are all layered together and then the image is cleaned up. (why is there so much cr*p on ceilings these days?)
I use a mixture of Profoto Acutes, Red Heads (different Wattage) and at times Totas.
No real rules, just light the space as we "build" the shot.
am

LiamStrain

Interior Lights
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2009, 12:02:09 pm »

Quote from: arashm
I use a mixture of Profoto Acutes, Red Heads (different Wattage) and at times Totas.

Apologies for the silly question... I've seen "red heads" listed a few times. Are those just Mole Richardson's equivalents to the Tota's or something else?

arashm

Interior Lights
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2009, 12:12:35 pm »

Quote from: LiamStrain
Apologies for the silly question... I've seen "red heads" listed a few times. Are those just Mole Richardson's equivalents to the Tota's or something else?

Hi actually I should be more specific
These are made by an Italian company named Ianiro, The 500w and 1000w have a Red shell so they are named "Red Heads" the 2000w lights have a golden yellow shell, so they are commonly refereed to as "blondes" on set.

They are very light and cool down faster than the metal cased lights.
I personally like them a lot.
am
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 12:13:27 pm by arashm »

LiamStrain

Interior Lights
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2009, 12:17:31 pm »

These are made by an Italian company named Ianiro, The 500w and 1000w have a Red shell so they are named "Red Heads" the 2000w lights have a golden yellow shell, so they are commonly refereed to as "blondes" on set.

Thanks very much for the clarification. Many of the Mole's that I've run across had a rust/red metal case, so I wasn't sure if that was what you were referring to. Those look useful, and the light weight is always appreciated. I'll look into them.

Cheers,
Liam
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 12:17:57 pm by LiamStrain »

CBarrett

Interior Lights
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2009, 12:42:58 pm »

Quote from: Kirk Gittings
CB

Well maybe that because I am dated.........I am 60 years old

Nothing old about you work, though, Viejo!  

I am highly critical of my own work, very few of my images satiate me and I feel something of a constant anxiousness to improve the vision.

CBarrett

Interior Lights
« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2009, 12:55:24 pm »

Very Interesting so far, thank you!

CB: do you find you get a lot of mixed reactions from clients when you have "blue" windows?
it seems to be a sore spot for some of my clients.

This is how I work, some spaces are lit more than others, some are all day light.
I process the file out a few different ways, ie: one for the window's, one for the dark area, one for correct WB of some light that was too much to try to balance while shooting, and some times because if we can't hide a light, I just do another exposure and only take the lit part from the file that has the stands and cables in the image.
These are all layered together and then the image is cleaned up. (why is there so much cr*p on ceilings these days?)
No real rules, just light the space as we "build" the shot.
am

I actually don't get much feedback on the color of windows, more about the tone than anything... often wanting more detail.  I try to throttle that back to avoid the heavy HDR look which can often feel very unnatural to me.  

I totally do that multi-exposure layering with a light in the middle of the shot.  Hey, if that's the absolute best place to light from, why limit yourself?  Sort of like Marc walking around his location with a hand held strobe.

-cb

JoeKitchen

Interior Lights
« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2009, 02:47:01 pm »

I just have one question, how are you getting your pics into the post as opposed to just a thumbnail you have to click on?
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

CBarrett

Interior Lights
« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2009, 03:01:30 pm »

Quote from: JoeKitchen
I just have one question, how are you getting your pics into the post as opposed to just a thumbnail you have to click on?

Huh... I just click the "Insert Image" button when writing my posts and paste my url in the box that pops up and there they are.  If they're under a certain dimension they don't get reduced, but I have no idea how to make the little thumbnails.

This has been discussed before, I'm sure.

LiamStrain

Interior Lights
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2009, 03:02:19 pm »

You need to have the image hosted online somewhere. Then you can put the url between img tags ([ img ]URL here[/ img ]- without the spaces. (or use the insert image button, CBarrett mentions)

comme ça
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 03:05:05 pm by LiamStrain »

JoeKitchen

Interior Lights
« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2009, 03:51:38 pm »

Alright, thanks for the quick answer, I see the insert image icon now.  I have always been using the upload tool under the script bar.
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Interior Lights
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2009, 04:45:30 pm »

Hi actually I should be more specific

They are very light and cool down faster than the metal cased lights.
I personally like them a lot.
am

I really like my redheads as well.  The cool shell is a very big plus in the tight spaces I work.  I have a soft spot in my heart for mole 2k zips as well.
Craig Lamson Photo

Kirk Gittings

Interior Lights
« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2009, 05:26:28 pm »

Here is a fun one, I really like simple solutions for difficult scenarios for clients. Not necessarily my "best:, but many of my favorite images personally are about problem solving. They thought this couldn't be shot, which presented an access problem later on. This is a really tight meditation space in a hospital. This space was unfinished (lighting and fireplace). So first we did a vertical flat stitch with an old 24T/S. Then we added one light around the curve corner, a hot light (I wanted the warmth and color contrast-no outlet back there and no working lights-so removed the extension cord in post). Then stripped in the fire from another interior in post.

[attachment=18478:UNMH_Cancer_38.jpg]
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 06:31:01 pm by Kirk Gittings »
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

marc gerritsen

• http://www.marcgerritsen.com
Interior Lights
« Reply #94 on: December 07, 2009, 07:48:18 pm »

Quote from: CBarrett
Marc G.  Ver 2.0

in shanghai on a shoot........ using lights haha!
will react and report when time allows
cheers
m

CBarrett

Interior Lights
« Reply #95 on: December 07, 2009, 11:11:18 pm »

Here is a fun one, I really like simple solutions for difficult scenarios for clients. Not necessarily my "best:, but many of my favorite images personally are about problem solving. They thought this couldn't be shot, which presented an access problem later on. This is a really tight meditation space in a hospital. This space was unfinished (lighting and fireplace). So first we did a vertical flat stitch with an old 24T/S. Then we added one light around the curve corner, a hot light (I wanted the warmth and color contrast-no outlet back there and no working lights-so removed the extension cord in post). Then stripped in the fire from another interior in post.

[attachment=18478:UNMH_Cancer_38.jpg]

Well seen Mr. Gittings.  Nice shape and visual flow.  Ironically, I want more drama in the lighting (did I just say that?).  I retouch outlet plates and sprinklers whether the designers ask for it or not.

DanielStone

Interior Lights
« Reply #96 on: December 07, 2009, 11:26:12 pm »

do you guys use spot meters still?

I mean, you can guess the exposure, but do you still use a spot/ambient meter to get a rough base exposure?

just wonderin'.

-Dan

Kirk Gittings

Interior Lights
« Reply #97 on: December 07, 2009, 11:57:58 pm »

Quote from: CBarrett
Well seen Mr. Gittings.  Nice shape and visual flow.  Ironically, I want more drama in the lighting (did I just say that?).  I retouch outlet plates and sprinklers whether the designers ask for it or not.

Thanks, yeah I was looking at the lighting and crap too. It is supposed to be a quite space. I go back and forth on all the cleanup. Sometimes I clean things up so much in post that they look like renderings instead of photos. The architect on one project I just did that won an AIA honor award referred to my photographs as "surreal", but he loved them right? He won the big award. That comment made me pause though. I think maybe I was pushing things too far, getting intoxicated with Photoshop. I think the trick is to clean it up enough that all the visual distractions are gone without turning it into an architectural version of the Pilsbury Dough Boy. This here was a rush job all the way around (had to shoot it before they moved in-the administration didn't want us in after) and I didn't push the shooting or post as far as I might usually do it. I am now getting ready to sell some serious stock on this project to the builder and design consultants and revisiting the files.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 12:15:44 am by Kirk Gittings »
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Interior Lights
« Reply #98 on: December 08, 2009, 12:24:10 pm »

I get a kick out of the tough ones too!  These are really tight spaces, a few as small as a phone booth.  Makes lighting and camera placement (suction cup mount on the wall for one) really interesting to say the least.  When possible I prefer high drama light.

Interior cabin of a 30 foot boat, this is about 12-15 feet in depth and 8-9 feet wide, Sigma 12-24 at 12.  Mole 1k zips through the portholes, 2-650 moles from the front hatch to cast the long shadows, 6- pepper 200's bounced in a number of places and 2-1k moles into a silk over each hatch near the camera.

Head in a 42 foot boat, about 3 people long.  Sigma 12-24 at 12, camera on a suction mount.  1-pepper 420 bounced to the left ceiling near camera.

Forward V-Berth in a 37 foot boat.  Sigma 12-24 @ 16.  650 mole through the visable porthole, 1k mole zip through the non visable porthole on the right, 200 Pepper ceiling bounce at the camera.

Head in a 30 foot boat, smaller than a phone booth.  Sigma 12-24 @ 12.  420 Pepper bounced int the ceiling corner on right, 200 Pepper into a card under the camera, 1k zip through the porthole.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 12:26:46 pm by infocusinc »
Craig Lamson Photo

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
Interior Lights
« Reply #99 on: December 08, 2009, 01:54:05 pm »

When ever I use HDR for a shot, I always do the merging manually.  I find the programs that preform HDR for you never give great results.  I attached a pic that I took recently in which I used tungsten lighting and HDR due to the ceiling lights in the room which gave off incredible hot spots.  I think that it came out very true to the space.

I don't understand what you mean by doing the merge manually. It is my understanding that you need software to do the merge.  I am talking about tonemapping with Photomatix, Photoshop, etc.
BTW, I have done HDR and my main reference is Michael Freeman's book, which seems very thorough and makes no mention of merging by hand.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up