Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop/Phase  (Read 4727 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Photoshop/Phase
« on: February 16, 2008, 11:01:22 pm »

I don't usually sing the praises of ACR, but I shot some comparison  P45+ and 1Ds3 images today using studio flash, and the PS renderings actually look better to me than the Phase files. This is with an ACR I just downloaded with the nifty PS Update function.

The 1Ds3 looks better (skin color and texture) than the od 1Ds2 unit too, but it's outclassed.

Edmund
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 11:03:14 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Ray

Photoshop/Phase
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 12:12:58 am »

The 1Ds3 looks better (skin color and texture) than the od 1Ds2 unit too, but it's outclassed.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=175382\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not surprised that the P45+ outclasses the 1Ds3, Edumd. It's fortunate you didn't compare the 1Ds3 with a P21 because then I might have found myself appearing to be arrogant by arguing with a guy who has a PhD   .

H1/A75 Guy

Photoshop/Phase
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 01:00:05 am »

You must add a message to post.

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
Photoshop/Phase
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 03:49:54 am »

wow

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Photoshop/Phase
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 08:15:58 am »

I'm not surprised that the P45+ outclasses the 1Ds3, Edumd. It's fortunate you didn't compare the 1Ds3 with a P21 because then I might have found myself appearing to be arrogant by arguing with a guy who has a PhD   .
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=175394\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, actually things are more complex - as owners of all this equipment may be realizing. We're looking at a total system, not at some "ideal" pixels. Here is a breakdown of my results:

1. Surprise: Mamiya focus is as good as or better than the Canon 1Ds3 samples I is used, when the camera is pointed at a real scene, using usual studio ambient illumination to focus. My impression here and in the past is that real-world performance of the Mamiya focus for portraits is consistently good.

2. Surprise: Canon skin texture *on the same number of pixels* is now just about equivalent to that of the P45+. This is a significant improvement as skin texture on the 1Ds2 was sh**.

3. Color of file and "processability" of file is still better with the Phase. That's no surprise

4. Surprise: ACR does a really excellent job now with the P45+ files. If ACR is as good with every camera, C1 is headed for the scrapheap.

5. Surprise: The pixels and focus out of the trashy 80mm Mamiya lens are as good @F14 as those out of the Canon, *on a pixel-by pixel basis* under studio conditions ! Don't bother to mount a tele on the Mamiya, if you're in a hurry and it's a subject within a few meters, cropping is perfectly ok.

Of course, with the individual pixels on the Phamiya still superior to those on the Canon under studio conditions, having twice as many does help, too  -but the above comments apply to images formed with the same number of pixels. This test was done with the P45+, which has no microlenses, I'd expect the P30+ to be a bit less sharp.

Edmund
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 08:20:44 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

TMARK

Photoshop/Phase
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 06:09:41 pm »

Edmund,

What is it about 1ds2 skin that you don't like?  I'm just curious.

John_Black

• http://www.pebbleplace.com
Photoshop/Phase
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 08:36:15 pm »

Edmund - can you show some skin tone examples and cite what you like or don't like?  I'm just curious.  As for the 80mm F2.8 AF - it's a powerhouse in its own little world.  Its bokeh isn't the best, but its sharpness and contrast are on par with lenses costing 10x more.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 08:36:32 pm by John_Black »

RobertJ

Photoshop/Phase
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 10:16:09 pm »

Sorry, but I've processed a P30 file in Lightroom and it did not even come close to the results/detail I got from C1 4.

I did, however, process a Sinar emotion22 file in Lightroom (DNG) and I was blown away.

TMARK

Photoshop/Phase
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 11:27:25 pm »

Deleted.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 11:37:15 am by TMARK »

Larry_Menzin

Photoshop/Phase
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 10:39:51 am »

Does ACR have a lens cast calibration (LCC) function? If not, C1 sticks around for many of us.

4. Surprise: ACR does a really excellent job now with the P45+ files. If ACR is as good with every camera, C1 is headed for the scrapheap.

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=175429\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

woof75

Photoshop/Phase
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 11:40:11 am »

I love the way Lightroom renders P21 files, (I'm fairly sire the raw converter is the same as that of ACR) especially when your not using the base ISO. I shoot my P21 at ISO 200 all the time. In Capture 1 this gives a crunchy unpleasant rendering but in Lightroom you barely see any noise. I used to be perfectly happy with capture one but now I exclusive use lightroom.
Also, cheap as it may be I find the mamiya 80mm to be a great lens and i agree with you regarding the focus. I shot a job in light that was so low I couldn't even see enough to even attempt to manually focus and the AF performed like it was daylight almost. Really surprised by that. And thats with a standard AFD body (not the mark 2)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 11:42:30 am by woof75 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up