Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: NEC Calibration Problem  (Read 24182 times)

seangirard

NEC Calibration Problem
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2008, 01:15:42 pm »

If you are using a VGA connection it could be e/m interference?

I have a problem with very wide soft diffused bars moving vertically on my monitor when I have a plain screen (solid desktop or solid background file in Photoshop). My settings are D65, gamma 2.2, and 110cd. It almost appears like horizontal smoke signals. My refresh rate is locked at 60hz.

Has anyone else noticed this?

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=175959\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jim Titschler

NEC Calibration Problem
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2008, 02:29:48 pm »

If you are using a VGA connection it could be e/m interference?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=175979\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No I am using a DVI cable.

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
NEC Calibration Problem
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2008, 04:52:02 pm »

Nec is by far the best customer support I have ever dealt with, Apple should take a lesson or two from them because they are the worst.

I'll second that!  I couldn't find the 2690 bundled with the calibrator/software for sale anywhere reputable, and started an email conversation with someone at NEC customer support to see if they had any idea where I could buy it.  I eventually ended up buying the monitor from amazon and the calibrator/software directly from NEC.  The NEC rep confirmed that buying them separately would give me exactly the same system as buying them together, and answered various other questions, and generally was extremely helpful and gracious about it.  I was emailing back & forth with the same person through the entire exchange, which always helps.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

Hermie

NEC Calibration Problem
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2008, 05:21:04 pm »

> > Nec is by far the best customer support I have ever dealt with, Apple should take a lesson or two from them because they are the worst.

I'll second that!  ...

Lisa
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176035\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, NEC Europe could learn a thing or two from their colleagues in the US.

I was in the market for a 2690 SpectraView, but my emails to NEC here in the Netherlands and their headquarters in Germany were never answered, telephones weren't picked up, the unavailability of SpectraView II software in Europe, a well known supplier in the UK (Colour Confidence) complaining about the lack of support...

I just got fed up with them and bought the EIZO CG241W. Now I'm happy too.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 05:25:40 pm by Hermie »

MNP500

NEC Calibration Problem
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2008, 06:32:31 pm »

Andrew,  I printed out your test sheet and am still getting a greenish cast.  I even tried it with some matte paper using a custom profile I had made for it.

These attachments show more or less what I'm getting although the scan is a bit darker than my prints, but the cast is the same.  These are obviously crops--one made from your jpeg and the other a scan of my print with Luster paper.

According to your prior post, this would indicate a problem with the output profile.  What is that and how do I deal with that?  Thanks

Michael[attachment=5191:attachment][attachment=5192:attachment]

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
NEC Calibration Problem
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2008, 06:37:47 pm »

According to your prior post, this would indicate a problem with the output profile.  What is that and how do I deal with that?

Sure appears that way. Now this is a custom profile you made? You're sure all inks are firing correctly, auto head alignment is OK? How about the Epson canned profiles?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

MNP500

NEC Calibration Problem
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2008, 07:26:11 pm »

Sure appears that way. Now this is a custom profile you made? You're sure all inks are firing correctly, auto head alignment is OK? How about the Epson canned profiles?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176049\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The scan you see is a standard profile from Epson for Premium Luster paper.  But I tried it with a Moab paper I use where a professional profile was made for me by someone at Moab.  The results are just about the same.  I'll check the inks etc. but I doubt that's the problem. This is driving me crazy.  Thanks for your help

Michael

J mandell

NEC Calibration Problem
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2008, 12:25:01 pm »

Yes that's a critical question that needs to be answered due to the original question/statement:

If you're not using the SpectraView software, that's just not even close to being correct.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=175807\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

OK, I waited a bit so the original poster could have this thread to himself. Didn't mean to confuse things.
No, I'm just using the Spyder software, but in my defense, the monitor didn't come with any software, nor does the owner's guide tell me to download and use any. That's why I knew something seemed wrong and why I'm posting this.
So am I to search the NEC site, find the spectraview software, hope it's free and if not call them and ask for it, then run it using the spyder hardware?
And after that, I still have my original question, which is what about all the other controls available on the monitor itself?
Thanks for the help.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
NEC Calibration Problem
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2008, 12:33:29 pm »

So am I to search the NEC site, find the spectraview software, hope it's free and if not call them and ask for it, then run it using the spyder hardware?

Its not free, its $99 but man, money well spent. You can use the Spyder although NEC doesn't recommend it.

http://www.necdisplay.com/SupportCenter/Mo...rs/spectraview/
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 12:35:51 pm by digitaldog »

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
NEC Calibration Problem
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2008, 06:11:48 pm »

And after that, I still have my original question, which is what about all the other controls available on the monitor itself?

They are irrelivent if you use the Spectraview II software -which you need to use to access the monitors 12 but LUT.

In fact, there is an option in the software to lock out the actual monitor hard controls to avoid messing up the calibration.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

MNP500

NEC Calibration Problem
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2008, 10:08:54 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176049\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, I've checked the ink and alignment on my 3800...everything looks good.  I even replaced the photo black ink that was almost empty  I'm really at wit's end...the green cast exists on all papers with all profiles.  If anyone has a suggestion as to where I should look for answers, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks

Michael

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
NEC Calibration Problem
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2008, 09:33:29 am »

Well, I've checked the ink and alignment on my 3800...everything looks good.  I even replaced the photo black ink that was almost empty  I'm really at wit's end...the green cast exists on all papers with all profiles.  If anyone has a suggestion as to where I should look for answers, I'd appreciate it. 

Well, I'd try printing the same RGB numbers from the same output profile on the same paper on a different printer at this point.

J mandell

NEC Calibration Problem
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2008, 01:24:47 pm »

<<They are irrelivent if you use the Spectraview II software -which you need to use to access the monitors 12 but LUT.>>

So they are only there for those who spend the money to buy this exceptional monitor, but don't use hardware calibration? And then there are really no instructions for how to use them?
I get it, but it seems kinda weird.
Thanks for this info. I'm going to take advantage of the NEC price break and buy both the software and the puck, but I note that notwithstanding the negative comments here, I've had surprisingly good success with the Spyder 2 and my Apple 23" once I finally started soft proofing correctly. I am looking forward to doing even better with this new package.

Note to NEC: Something about Spectraview should be in the user's manual or at least in the box (in addition to the note about the availability of Naviset).
In other words, the customer has to really work at this to figure out what he/she needs.

Paul Sumi

NEC Calibration Problem
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2008, 04:42:44 pm »

I have a problem with very wide soft diffused bars moving vertically on my monitor when I have a plain screen (solid desktop or solid background file in Photoshop). My settings are D65, gamma 2.2, and 110cd. It almost appears like horizontal smoke signals. My refresh rate is locked at 60hz.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=175959\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A couple of thoughts.  Are there any RF devices near your monitor (cordless phone, wireless keyboard/mouse and transmitter, accoustsc speakers, etc)?  You might try moving them to see if there is any interference.

Also, have you updated your video/graphics card drivers recently? Not sure if this will help, but couldn't hurt.

Best,

Paul

J mandell

NEC Calibration Problem
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2008, 02:35:48 am »

<<Its not free, its $99 but man, money well spent. You can use the Spyder although NEC doesn't recommend it. >>

Actually, the info that came with the software says that NEC officially recommends not using the Spyder! They say it can't handle the full spectrum of this monitor. Good thing I popped for the Spectraview Kit, including their colorimeter  (and nice that it was only another $100 while on sale this month).
Anyway, I just got it, glanced at the instructions and sighed, realizing it would take a bit of doing to read and understand it. I have two questions:
1. Is it OK to reduce the brightness prior to calibrating? This thing at 100% is unbearably bright for me.
2. Since I'm using your profiles for Epson Exhibition paper, would you mind telling me what settings I should be using to calibrate in SpectraView? I assume D65, Gamma 2.2? Yes? And if so, what else please? I'm a photographer, and I will be using my display for soft proofing Epson inkjet prints.

Thanks to all for your help.
Jeff

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
NEC Calibration Problem
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2008, 08:54:09 am »

1. Is it OK to reduce the brightness prior to calibrating? This thing at 100% is unbearably bright for me.
2. Since I'm using your profiles for Epson Exhibition paper, would you mind telling me what settings I should be using to calibrate in SpectraView? I assume D65, Gamma 2.2? Yes? And if so, what else please? I'm a photographer, and I will be using my display for soft proofing Epson inkjet prints.

Don't worry about setting the brightness, the software will do that when you tell it what luminance you want.

Yes, I'd start D65 TRC2.2. Maybe 150cd/m2 (again, that's based on viewing conditions).

Jim Titschler

NEC Calibration Problem
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2008, 09:22:01 pm »

A couple of thoughts.  Are there any RF devices near your monitor (cordless phone, wireless keyboard/mouse and transmitter, accoustsc speakers, etc)?  You might try moving them to see if there is any interference.

Also, have you updated your video/graphics card drivers recently? Not sure if this will help, but couldn't hurt.

Best,

Paul
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176478\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I finally have two monitors that work! Two out my first three had the same problem. NEC kept exchanging till I received two that worked properly. I knew it was a monitor issue because one of the monitors worked fine with my computer.

meierruedi@hotmail.com

NEC Calibration Problem
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2008, 03:02:53 am »

One question:

what exactly is the difference between the Spectraview II software and SpectraView Profiler 4.1.6 (wich came with my Spectraview 2690)?

meierruedi

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
NEC Calibration Problem
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2008, 09:09:02 am »

Are you in Europe?  NEC Europe provides completely different software from NEC US.  I think they're intended to, and presumably do, accomplish the same things, but as I understand it they're completely different applications, written separately from the ground up.  Why, I've never been able to imagine.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Hermie

NEC Calibration Problem
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2008, 09:25:25 am »

One question:

what exactly is the difference between the Spectraview II software and SpectraView Profiler 4.1.6 (wich came with my Spectraview 2690)?
meierruedi
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178171\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Completely different products.
- SpectraView II is a NEC development.
- SpectraView Profiler is from basICColor.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up