Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 580EX Focus Lines...  (Read 4310 times)

daethon

Canon 580EX Focus Lines...
« on: February 16, 2008, 09:11:02 am »

There are times, when it is very dark, that I'd like to be able to use just the focus assistance on the 580EX.  

Have it flash the red lines, so that the lens can focus, but then not fire the flash afterwards.  

Is there a way to do that?  If so, how?  

Reason for wanting to do this:  I use several very fast lenses, unfortunately my eyesight isn't quite good enough to be able to manually focus in the dark, quickly or accurately enough.

Bobby Canon

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 03:55:55 pm »

Couldn't you just use a torch until the camera gets focus....then turn it off, or turn it away, before firing the shutter?

lucien

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 01:03:56 pm »

There are times, when it is very dark, that I'd like to be able to use just the focus assistance on the 580EX. 

Have it flash the red lines, so that the lens can focus, but then not fire the flash afterwards. 

Is there a way to do that?  If so, how? 
Reason for wanting to do this:  I use several very fast lenses, unfortunately my eyesight isn't quite good enough to be able to manually focus in the dark, quickly or accurately enough.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=175242\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes, you can. Exact instructions will depend on which camera you're using, but on my 20D and 30D, there is a custom function which allows you to turn off flash firing. With the flash on, that will leave the focus assist but remove the actual strobe firing.

I hope that helps.

Lucien
Pages: [1]   Go Up