Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving the location of original images  (Read 2612 times)

Meerkat

Moving the location of original images
« on: February 15, 2008, 09:55:55 pm »

I have had a good look around and can't seem to find any tips or how-to's on this so I am hoping that someone can help....

I am in the process of moving my original images to a network share (Windows Home Server). The move itself is working fine.

I cannot find a way to update the lightroom DB to point to the images in the new location. The DB itself remains on my PC and not on the network share (this is not supported by Lightroom).

When I go into Lightroom the library module presents a "?" in the upper right hand corner of each frame and allows you to point to the new location of each image. However it appears that you need to manually click on each image and point to the new location, one image at a time.

Does anyone know of a way to "mass update" a catalogue to point to a new location?

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 11:39:44 pm »

Syncronize

Meerkat

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 01:52:35 am »

Syncronize
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=175187\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
.... and how is that done?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 03:42:10 am »

Not Synchronize. Locate Missing Folders.

In Lightroom, go the the Folders panel and right click the folders - they should be red if you've moved them in Explorer. The context menu gives you Locate Missing Folders.

If they aren't red, you're getting yourself in a mess. Look at them in Explorer (right click). If the folder is now empty - because you've moved the files - delete the folder and return to the above fix. If it's not empty, check your server has all the files, then delete them.

In future, once images are in the system, make your life easier by using Lightroom, not Explorer, to move folders or files.

John

Meerkat

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 09:49:33 am »

Not Synchronize. Locate Missing Folders.

In Lightroom, go the the Folders panel and right click the folders - they should be red if you've moved them in Explorer. The context menu gives you Locate Missing Folders.

If they aren't red, you're getting yourself in a mess. Look at them in Explorer (right click). If the folder is now empty - because you've moved the files - delete the folder and return to the above fix. If it's not empty, check your server has all the files, then delete them.

In future, once images are in the system, make your life easier by using Lightroom, not Explorer, to move folders or files.

John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=175209\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks. Although I have copied them over, all I have done is rename the original directory so it appears as though they are no longer there. I have done this as a trial move.

How do you move the files from within LR? If it is easier to use Lightroom to move them I am happy to give that a try, although I cannot see how this is done. Are you talking about the Export commands?

BTW, I am show no red in my folders panel.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 09:53:06 am »

Just drag them, or drag the folders. You're right to do this as a trial - best way to get your head round what's happening.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up