Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5D drops in price again, now 1900US  (Read 5667 times)

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
5D drops in price again, now 1900US
« on: February 14, 2008, 02:38:18 am »

02/15/08
EDITED
Someone reported below they bought a 5D with a 200.00US instant rebate for a grand total of 1900.00US so I guess it can be had for that amount now. I would guess that we're getting closer to the new model.

02/14/08
EDITED:  This is erroneous. The price is when you buy a printer also. Sorry for the confusion.

My friend bought a 5D today on B&H and paid 2100US minus a 200 factory rebate. That means Canon is really wanting to dump this inventory as fast as possible, which can only mean ONE thing.

After reading about the problems some people are having with the MKIII, which I had decided to buy, the updated 5D is looking even better. Though there is no reason that the 5D might have similar problems too.

That said, I really do want that 21MP sensor and other pro features of the MKIII, even though the new 5D will most likely be 16MP.

In any event--5Ds for everyone, like the VW!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 11:24:09 pm by dwdallam »

Ray

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 03:07:36 am »

The 5D is a milestone camera, like the 1Ds was. I'd have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone. The upgrade will be better, but it's not at all clear if it will be better in the sense that the 40D is better than the 30D, ie. no significant improvement in basic image quality but a lot of useful new features such as faster frame rate and LiveView.

An upgrade from 12.7mp to 16mp is hardly more significant than the upgrade from 8mp to 10mp of the 40D.

My goal is set on a 24mp sensor. If Sony comes out with this before the Canon 5D upgrade, I might well switch to the Minolta-fit Sony. I have a number of Minolta-type lenses, including a Sigma 400/5.6 prime, a Tamron 90-SP/2.8, a Minolta 35-105 zoom and a Minolta 50mm prime. I'd like to use them. I hate waste   .

Oh! I also forgot to mention the Sigma 24/2.8 prime (Minolta fit) which is considered to be better than the Canon 24/2.8 prime.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 03:24:38 am by Ray »

httivals

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 10:49:46 am »

This is incorrect information about the rebate.  The $200 rebate is for the Canon 5D, or 40 D, or IDSMKiii + a Canon printer.  By your logic, this must mean that the 1DsMKiii will also be replaced soon.  Do you believe that?

My friend bought a 5D today on B&H and paid 2100US minus a 200 factory rebate. That means Canon is really wanting to dump this inventory as fast as possible, which can only mean ONE thing.

After reading about the problems some people are having with the MKIII, which I had decided to buy, the updated 5D is looking even better. Though there is no reason that the 5D might have similar problems too.

That said, I really do want that 21MP sensor and other pro features of the MKIII, even though the new 5D will most likely be 16MP.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174777\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 06:26:45 pm »

The 5D is a milestone camera, like the 1Ds was. I'd have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone. The upgrade will be better, but it's not at all clear if it will be better in the sense that the 40D is better than the 30D, ie. no significant improvement in basic image quality but a lot of useful new features such as faster frame rate and LiveView.

An upgrade from 12.7mp to 16mp is hardly more significant than the upgrade from 8mp to 10mp of the 40D.

My goal is set on a 24mp sensor. If Sony comes out with this before the Canon 5D upgrade, I might well switch to the Minolta-fit Sony. I have a number of Minolta-type lenses, including a Sigma 400/5.6 prime, a Tamron 90-SP/2.8, a Minolta 35-105 zoom and a Minolta 50mm prime. I'd like to use them. I hate waste   .

Oh! I also forgot to mention the Sigma 24/2.8 prime (Minolta fit) which is considered to be better than the Canon 24/2.8 prime.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174781\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi
From what I read about the 24 mp sensor is that it is 12 bit. The new Canon 1d3 & 1Ds3 are 14 bit along with the 40D. 14 bit is better than 12 bit.
Denis

1.  High picture quality in 35mm full size image sensor with 24.81M effective pixels
   2. “Column-Parallel A/D Conversion method” achieves high S/N and high-speed imaging
   3. High-speed digital output (12 channel parallel LVDS output)
          * CDS/PGA (24dB) Circuit (PGA: Programmable Gain Amplifier)
          * 12bit-AD Converter on chip
          * Diversified readout mode
          * All-pixel scan mode 6.3 frame/s (12bit)
          * Window readout
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 06:30:37 pm by mcfoto »
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Ray

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 07:03:40 pm »

Hi
From what I read about the 24 mp sensor is that it is 12 bit. The new Canon 1d3 & 1Ds3 are 14 bit along with the 40D. 14 bit is better than 12 bit.
Denis
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174929\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I remember being struck by that fact when I first read the news announcement. It seemed odd because it is contrary to current trends.

However, the pixel pitch on a 24mp FF sensor is hardly greater than that of the 40D and there's been some puzzlement as to what exactly are the benefits of 14 bit A/D conversion in that camera. It seems the higher bit depth is more relevant for larger pixels.

canmiya

• beyond stills
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 07:40:43 pm »

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

you may want to edit your thread title as it is factually incorrect.  the $200 mail in rebate applies only to a two product bundle --certain cameras and printers.  if your friend bought a camera and did not or does not plan on buying  either a 9000 or 9500 canon printer from B&H, he will not qualify for the  $200 mail in rebate.....here is the link to the rebate details:
[a href=\"http://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWork/Rebates_Promos/041908_CANON_MP970_C.pdf]http://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWork/Reba...NON_MP970_C.pdf[/url]
given the landscape in the printer world, with the epson 1900 and the hp8850 soon to be available, one might make a compelling case that  the canon rebate bundle is more about moving printers than depleting camera inventory.
regards

macgyver

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 08:31:30 pm »

Hi
Denis
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174929\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I honestly notice no difference between 12 and 14 bit. I'm sure 14 is better, but i'm yet to see any huge difference.

daethon

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 08:49:50 pm »

I honestly notice no difference between 12 and 14 bit. I'm sure 14 is better, but i'm yet to see any huge difference.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174959\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Maybe it was the light in the photograph, or the fact that I upgraded to CS3 to test it.  But when I played around with the 40D I saw a huge difference between the richness of the colors between it and my 20D.  

But, as I said, I might be imagining things

John Sheehy

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 09:27:08 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174781\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The 5D successor, at the very least, should have a quantum efficiency in the league of all the other current Canons.  The 5D has a fairly low quantum efficiency, and can stand to collect at least 2/3 stop more photons per mm for a given exposure.  ISO 50 will become more of mess than it is now, if it is offered at all.  With a 2/3 stop increase in QE, it may very well start at ISO 100, unless Canon is afraid of "taking it away" (but of course, ISO 100 and +1 EC is better; same shot noise, and half the read noise).

John Sheehy

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 09:30:10 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174959\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There is too much read noise for 14-bits to have any extra significant data, but indirectly, some converters may be forced to use higher precision, if they align data into their workspace on its least significant bit.

stever

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 12:00:11 am »

i think the decision on a 5D depends on what lenses you use and how you shoot - and of course how much money you want to spend

if you shoot mostly wide to medium (and are willing to invest in lenses that will do justice to the 5D), then the 5D is the choice

on the other hand, is you shoot more medium to long, then a 40D is awfully close (if not indistinguishable) from the 5D in IQ and high ISO noise and gets good performance from a number of lenses that look pretty bad at the corners on a 5D.

i like the best of both and normally use the 5D with the 24-105 and 20D (and now 40D) with longer lenses

If you invest in a 5D, you need to consider the investment in lenses as well.  From my experience, i wouldn't replace the 30D, but add the 5D (the 30D will take good images with longer lenses and isn't worth a lot of money now anyhow).

The sucessor to the 5D will offer some combination of improved high ISO performance and better resolution (i'd prefer the emphasis on high ISO) but will sell for $3000+ for the first year, and with higher resolution be nearly as demanding of high quality glass as the 1DS III

dwdallam

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 01:10:24 am »

This is an error. I remeber this rebate but failed to remeber it when my friend told me about it. The price is still 2100 at B&H but you can find them for 1600 at other camera shops, but I'm not sure why that is--and they say "new" not refurbished.

How do I edit the title?

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 03:17:40 am »

02/14/08
EDITED:  This is erroneous. The price is when you buy a printer also. Sorry for the confusion.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174777\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't know about the rebate exactly, but I bought a 5d this morning at Samys in Los Angeles for 2100 with a $200 "instant" rebate. What this meant was that the price really was $1900. And for the next few days, there is no sales tax charged during the "President's day" sale. So for camera and lenses, it turned out to be less expensive than Amazon or B&H with free shipping. And of course, I took it home with me without waiting for the UPS man...

Unfortunately, I can not wait for the next version of the camera as I need it in a couple weeks. I'll guess that a new version may be priced in the $2000 range making my purchase look kind of silly...

-bruce
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

dwdallam

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 11:22:57 pm »

I don't know about the rebate exactly, but I bought a 5d this morning at Samys in Los Angeles for 2100 with a $200 "instant" rebate. What this meant was that the price really was $1900. And for the next few days, there is no sales tax charged during the "President's day" sale. So for camera and lenses, it turned out to be less expensive than Amazon or B&H with free shipping. And of course, I took it home with me without waiting for the UPS man...

Unfortunately, I can not wait for the next version of the camera as I need it in a couple weeks. I'll guess that a new version may be priced in the $2000 range making my purchase look kind of silly...

-bruce
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=175011\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So they can be had for 1900. I doubt the new 5D will be 2k US. More like 3K. You got a great deal.

espressogeek

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 10:43:11 am »

So they can be had for 1900. I doubt the new 5D will be 2k US. More like 3K. You got a great deal.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=175185\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

BH wants 2099 this morning. I have not seen them online anywhere for 1900 out right.

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 04:30:57 pm »

BH wants 2099 this morning. I have not seen them online anywhere for 1900 out right.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176184\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The sale was (ended sunday) at Samys camera in Southern California, in store only and they also paid the sales tax on all Canon items except the 1DSIII. In all I saved about $500 compared to the local (california) competition when I include the lenses. Still pretty expensive though ):

I'm still waiting for my 50mm 1.4 lens though...
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up