Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: At 1024x768 I have a problem with LL  (Read 12399 times)

samuel_js

At 1024x768 I have a problem with LL
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2008, 03:34:21 am »

You've missed the point.  It is possible to recentre and resize the content programmatically.  For some reason for some of us, this isn't happening.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=175008\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You mean if I resize (reduce) the window the images will be reduced as well?  You can resize the content in a page but not the images inside. I don't think the LL website is programmed to resize the images...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 03:38:21 am by samuel_js »

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2008, 03:37:07 am »

You mean if I resize (reduce) the window the images will be reduced as well?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=175013\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Images won't, but text and other controls can.  Just try reducing this forum window and you can see the text will wrap and the borders will shrink to accomodate the window size

samuel_js

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2008, 03:39:54 am »

Images won't, but text and other controls can.  Just try reducing this forum window and you can see the text will wrap and the borders will shrink to accomodate the window size
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=175014\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes, the forum reposition everything, but the main site contains images, that's why it puts the scrollbars.

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2008, 03:43:02 am »

Yes, the forum reposition everything, but the main site contains images, that's why it puts the scrollbars.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=175015\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's only a problem if the images are bigger than 1024 wide, or some controls and the images total more than 1024.  You know, this isn't a unique problem only LL faces.  Other sites have to deal with this as well.  Somehow, they manage.

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2008, 04:19:12 am »

I don't understand the frustration.; you have to scroll to the right only once per such article, it will stay there.
The green strip is 200 pixels wide, fixed in the imported CSS called "lumino-style.css". It is stored among the temporary internet files, and it can be edited, but it will be downloaded again if its time stamp changes. If you have a program, which sets the date and time of a file to reset it to the initial state after having edited it, you can change this 200 to somewhat less (I don't have such program).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174995\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The frustration is that the page needs scrolling both ways to read all the text i.e. the width will not fit in the 1024 wide screen.

I do not recall having to do this with any other site for a long time and indeed on the old LL site design I am sure this was not the case.
A collection of mine here http://500px.c

ecemfjm

• http://www.manuelfernando.es
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2008, 12:20:57 pm »

The frustration is that the page needs scrolling both ways to read all the text i.e. the width will not fit in the 1024 wide screen.

I do not recall having to do this with any other site for a long time and indeed on the old LL site design I am sure this was not the case.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=175019\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Charles Cramer tutorial doesn't resize on my 1024 wide screen laptop. I need to horizontally scroll once per line if I want to read the text. Across the site, many pages resize, and a few others do not. I don't see the logic.

No way about changing configuration since it is a company laptop. I got accustommed to this behavoiur of LL and do not pay too much attention to it now.

BTW, LL is the only serious site I have experienced these things.

Manuel

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2008, 01:30:36 am »

I finally had a look at the code for the home page and it is clear where the problem is.  The three images side by side with Jeff and Michael in the middle pic.  These three images and the side bar have a total width of 1200 and something.  Obviously this can't fit into a screen size of 1024.  It is possible I think to dynamically resize images in html.  If this isn't the case, and you want the page to be viewable on 1024 screen resolution, then they need to be reduced in size.

By the way, there are a number of ordinary errors in the source code, including standards errors, and closing tags without matching opening tags (wtf?).

djgarcia

• http://improbablystructuredlayers.net
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2008, 11:03:03 am »

As someone who does his own web site, my view on this is, if I'm not paying for something then let me be happy with what I get .
Over-Equipped Snapshooter - EOS 1dsII &

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2008, 06:55:43 pm »

As someone who does his own web site, my view on this is, if I'm not paying for something then let me be happy with what I get .
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=175272\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'll fix it for him for free if he wants.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2008, 07:37:37 pm »

Try this in the address line of your browser:

java script:resizeTo(1024,768) the forum keeps inserting a [space] between java and script, remove it

Or whatever desired size you want . . . Currently the home page requires ~1300px to display w/o having to scroll.  A lot of designers forget about the ~40px required for the vertical scroll bar and window container as well.

As far as "poor programming" perhaps you are critcizing content decisions?  I remember Turner having the courage to display classic movie's in original letterbox format and getting harshly criticized.  All that said,  I'd prefer the site fit:

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 07:56:46 pm by Joh.Murray »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up