Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: At 1024x768 I have a problem with LL  (Read 12400 times)

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
At 1024x768 I have a problem with LL
« on: February 13, 2008, 06:29:39 pm »

Sadly I am still in the monitor equivalent of the dark ages in that my 15inch 1024x768 LCD is still required to be my workhorse.  Most of the time apart from 'real estate' envy to "see" my workspace writ larger this is not an issue but when I try to read some of and most recently the "Tough Selections made Easy" tutorial I have to sideways scroll just a little and that makes for a very frustrating user experience.

Any chance of such tutorials opening on a page without the green sidebar of hyperlinks?  Perhaps even a print friendly page to print it off for study offline?

I have no doubt that if a survey was taken of screen sizes here at LL I would be in a quite small minority, so just a plaintive cry from my individual wilderness  
A collection of mine here http://500px.c

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 06:40:57 pm »

Sadly I am still in the monitor equivalent of the dark ages in that my 15inch 1024x768 LCD is still required to be my workhorse.  Most of the time apart from 'real estate' envy to "see" my workspace writ larger this is not an issue but when I try to read some of and most recently the "Tough Selections made Easy" tutorial I have to sideways scroll just a little and that makes for a very frustrating user experience.

Any chance of such tutorials opening on a page without the green sidebar of hyperlinks?  Perhaps even a print friendly page to print it off for study offline?

I have no doubt that if a survey was taken of screen sizes here at LL I would be in a quite small minority, so just a plaintive cry from my individual wilderness 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174681\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have this problem with LL as well.  I use a 17inch monitor at 1024x768.  To be honest, I think it is poor web programming on their part.  Using appropriate techniques, it is possible to serve a page up which will resize appropriately depending on a user's screen settings.  Maybe they haven't been aware of it, so hopefully something might be done about it now.

michael

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 06:49:57 pm »

All pages on LL dynamically resize. If they don't on your system it most likely is at your end.

Michael

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 07:00:33 pm »

WAH I can't see the site on my 1987 Atari running CGA!

1024?  Really?  Quit whining guys.

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 07:20:06 pm »

If they don't on your system it most likely is at your end.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174689\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ahh, web programmer's famous last words.  This is one of the hazards, and challenges, of being a web programmer (I should know, I am one), trying to program in a standards environment that is the equivalent of a multi-car freeway pile up.  LL is about the only modern proffessional site on the whole internet that I have come across where it doesn't dynamically resize.  I suspect it is actually a problem on your end.

michael

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 07:38:32 pm »

I've looked at the site (again) on three Mac browsers and two Windows browsers and all pages resize.

What can I say?

Michael

Brad Proctor

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 07:39:36 pm »

Are you kidding?  Almost nobody creates websites that dynamically resize anymore (unfortunately) they are all designed for a fixed resolution, and usually a small one.

LL works just fine for me at 1024x768...
Brad Proctor

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 07:56:09 pm »

Are you kidding?  Almost nobody creates websites that dynamically resize anymore (unfortunately) they are all designed for a fixed resolution, and usually a small one.

LL works just fine for me at 1024x768...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174698\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For a start, Michael's web programmer does, so no, I'm not kidding.  Secondly, how do think it is that it fits in yours and doesn't fit in ours at 1024?  Obviously it is resizing, just not on ours.  But there is one part I do agree about, and that is that a lot of sites are designed to fit a smaller resolution, and that resolution is almost always 1024x768.  If you choose to design at a bigger resolution than this, then you have a couple of choices: 1. Code properly (hard, I know, given the standards minefield out there) and dynamically resize your pages so your viewers can enjoy their time at your website; or 2. Say I don't give a stuff and come what may with that.

Having said all that, I am open to the possibility that there is something unique in our settings that is causing this, but I can't possibly think what it could be.  I am using IE7,Firefox 2.0.0.3 and winxp(sp2).  Maybe it is a video card issue, but I got a new one of them about 6 months ago, so I don't see why it would cause any problems.

Brad Proctor

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 08:17:11 pm »

Having said all that, I am open to the possibility that there is something unique in our settings that is causing this, but I can't possibly think what it could be.  I am using IE7,Firefox 2.0.0.3 and winxp(sp2).  Maybe it is a video card issue, but I got a new one of them about 6 months ago, so I don't see why it would cause any problems.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174702\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I can't imagine what settings might be off, especially since other web sites display fine for you.  I've got basically the same setup as you described.  The only thing I noticed is that it doesn't appear to go any less than 1024, so the window would have to be maximized.
Brad Proctor

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 08:28:59 pm »

I can't imagine what settings might be off, especially since other web sites display fine for you.  I've got basically the same setup as you described.  The only thing I noticed is that it doesn't appear to go any less than 1024, so the window would have to be maximized.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174713\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I tried resizing my browser window, and the main site (ie. home page etc) doesn't resize along with the browser, however, this forum resizes fine.  It (the forum) would seem to act how I design a site, which is to use html tables to hold content with (from memory) the width set to "Auto", so it resizes automatically.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 12:34:06 am »

Download a copy of Opera and try it. Opera has a nice manual resizing feature: On the numeric keypad, the "+" makes everything bigger, the "-" makes everything smaller, and the "*" returns you to the default. I use these all the time to get big pictures to fit my screen (main screen is at 1600x1200).
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 03:21:32 am »

Download a copy of Opera and try it. Opera has a nice manual resizing feature: On the numeric keypad, the "+" makes everything bigger, the "-" makes everything smaller, and the "*" returns you to the default. I use these all the time to get big pictures to fit my screen (main screen is at 1600x1200).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174756\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've tried opera before, and despite what everyone says about firefox et al, I find IE the fastest and easiest to use.

By the way, I checked LL at work, and it doesn't dynamically resize there either.

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 08:37:58 pm »

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I use IE6 and have tried it with portable Firefox v1.0.7 and it still needs the sideways scrolling???

Based on the mixed feedback I am still somewhat perplexed because though it should apparently dynamically resize it is failing for me and others.

Oh well.
A collection of mine here http://500px.c

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 09:13:34 pm »

IE has long had a reputation for misbehaving in many ways. Firefox is probably the most standards-compliant browser available today. It costs nothing to keep a couple of different browsers on your computer in case one doesn't work well on some particular website.

Opera does great on LL for me. Firefox would, too, but I'm so used to Opera that it is my main browser.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

djgarcia

• http://improbablystructuredlayers.net
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 11:36:59 pm »

The man's problem is real and has nothing to do with IE (not that I'm defending it - just like to see things as they are).

Michael states the pages resize dynamically, and that's true for most of the content. But some images do not resize in any browser. The selections article has somewhere down the middle two images side by side, and they do not resize, hence the horizontal scroll bars. The rest of the page especially the text does resize so you can read the article without having to scroll, but the horizontal scroll bars will be there until you resize beyond the width of the two side-by-side images.

Resizing automatically this kind of image layout is a scripting PITA. I know because I use it in my site .
Over-Equipped Snapshooter - EOS 1dsII &

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 12:09:56 am »

IE has long had a reputation for misbehaving in many ways. Firefox is probably the most standards-compliant browser available today. It costs nothing to keep a couple of different browsers on your computer in case one doesn't work well on some particular website.

Opera does great on LL for me. Firefox would, too, but I'm so used to Opera that it is my main browser.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174962\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

IE 7, and anything based on netscape 5 and above (includes firefox and I think opera) and the latest version of safari are all supposed to be fully standards complient now.  There should be no differences between these for standard features.  The problem comes when you have to code for all the various older browsers out there.

Still, that's not solving my problem.

Panopeeper

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 12:57:06 am »

I have to sideways scroll just a little and that makes for a very frustrating user experience

I don't understand the frustration.; you have to scroll to the right only once per such article, it will stay there.

The green strip is 200 pixels wide, fixed in the imported CSS called "lumino-style.css". It is stored among the temporary internet files, and it can be edited, but it will be downloaded again if its time stamp changes. If you have a program, which sets the date and time of a file to reset it to the initial state after having edited it, you can change this 200 to somewhat less (I don't have such program).
Gabor

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 01:36:17 am »

The green strip is 200 pixels wide, fixed in the imported CSS called "lumino-style.css". It is stored among the temporary internet files, and it can be edited, but it will be downloaded again if its time stamp changes. If you have a program, which sets the date and time of a file to reset it to the initial state after having edited it, you can change this 200 to somewhat less (I don't have such program).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174995\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank god you're not a web programmer.  If we had to re-program someone else's page every time we visited, it would be a miserable experience indeed.

samuel_js

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2008, 02:23:32 am »

I'd say it's more appropriate to say that the pages "re-center" the content. It doesn't resize anything.
As Michael says, both the LL web and the forum re-center without problems. You'll get the scroll bars (horizontal)  when the content is too big to keep it centered in the window. Resizing the window will center the content but not resize it.

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2008, 03:02:54 am »

I'd say it's more appropriate to say that the pages "re-center" the content. It doesn't resize anything.
As Michael says, both the LL web and the forum re-center without problems. You'll get the scroll bars (horizontal)  when the content is too big to keep it centered in the window. Resizing the window will center the content but not resize it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=175004\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You've missed the point.  It is possible to recentre and resize the content programmatically.  For some reason for some of us, this isn't happening.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up