Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: any thoughts on NEC 2190  (Read 9009 times)

ecpny

any thoughts on NEC 2190
« on: February 13, 2008, 03:57:23 pm »

Looking to replace my old CRT.  This is for photo editing, printing and digital capture.  I hear alot about the 2490 and 2690 but not much on the 2190.  I prefer a 2 monitor setup for palettes and I don't have room for a huge 26" screen plus a second monitor.  I have also heard about color shifting on monitors that large.  Those out there that use the 2190, do you recommend the Spectraview software?  I already own a Greytag colorimeter.  Will it have accurate color when compared to the 2490 or 2690?  Thank you for your thoughts.

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
any thoughts on NEC 2190
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 04:50:06 pm »

I have the 2090 and like it a lot.  I also like the Spectraview software a lot.  No complaints about either.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

David McCaughan

any thoughts on NEC 2190
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 06:04:08 pm »

After what seemed like way too much research I bought a 2190UXI referb. last month and am very happy with it. I have not used the spectraview software yet although I do plan to look into it. I've only compared it side by side to a new 20" ACD and it there is no comparison, the NEC is much smoother, better color, wider gamut. Both monitors were running on MBPs and calibrated with Monaco Optix DTP94. I bring it on location several times a week and it is well worth the extra weight.
This sight helped me make my decision:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/dis...monitors_3.html

Notice there are a couple versions of the 2190 using different panels.

thanks to Andrew Rodney for his valuable insight as well.

jdrenda

any thoughts on NEC 2190
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 08:52:30 am »

I have the NEC 2190 UXI with spectraview and I am very happy with it. John

ecpny

any thoughts on NEC 2190
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 04:23:53 pm »

thank you for your responses.

does the 2190 have 12 bit LUT like the 2490/2690?

cbcbell

• cbcampbell.com
any thoughts on NEC 2190
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 08:01:56 pm »

I bought two NEC displays last summer, a Multisync LCD2070NX as a palette display, and a Multisync LCD21909UXi as a main display. Both have worked out beautifully for their intended purposes. I deliberately chose not to get the NEC calibration package as I have long been a user of ColorEyes. After confirming with Derrick Brown at Integrated Color that their software supported the NEC hardware, I found that display calibration with the latest version of ColorEyesDisplay Pro and a DPT94 was very smooth. I'm seeing virtually no drift in the displays, and my average DeltaE is 0.45.

Once in a while, when editing a large number of vertical images, I make use of the fact that the 2190 can be rotated into a portrait orientation, so that I can completely fill the display. All in all, I couldn't be happier.

jackbingham

• http://www.integrated-color.com
any thoughts on NEC 2190
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 07:48:12 am »

"Once in a while, when editing a large number of vertical images, I make use of the fact that the 2190 can be rotated into a portrait orientation, so that I can completely fill the display. All in all, I couldn't be happier."

Christopher, I'm curious. Are you using NEC software for rotation or something else. With some I have tried they require a profile for each orientation. Is that the case here? Just trying to collect info.
Jack Bingham
Integrated Color Corp Maker

cbcbell

• cbcampbell.com
any thoughts on NEC 2190
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 09:22:16 am »

Hi Jack,

I confess it never occurred to me that I needed any software — or possibly a different profile! — for a mechanical rotation. I simply go to System Preferences > Displays > Display > Rotate: 90°, and then pivot the screen. I learned the hard way that what one doesn't want to do is rotate the display, and then  go make the change in software, as the change in mapping up/down and left/right makes manipulating a mouse unbelievably difficult. I suppose it would be an interesting experiment to profile the display in the portrait orientation, and then toggle the profiles to see if there is a difference.

jackbingham

• http://www.integrated-color.com
any thoughts on NEC 2190
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 09:58:10 am »

Some of these rotation tools actually toss the profile when you rotate, forcing you to build a profile for the vertical. So it must not be an issue in this case.
Jack Bingham
Integrated Color Corp Maker

edt

• http://www.etimages.com
any thoughts on NEC 2190
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 09:50:21 pm »

I also have 2190uxi and Spectraview II. Calibrating w/ Spectraview II compared to old Eye One Display and CRT is like being released from prison and going straight to a birthday party..
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 09:50:47 pm by edt »

cbcbell

• cbcampbell.com
any thoughts on NEC 2190
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 10:16:59 pm »

Some of these rotation tools actually toss the profile when you rotate, forcing you to build a profile for the vertical. So it must not be an issue in this case.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176173\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That's good to know. I probably should have added that I'm using these displays on a Mac Pro running OS X 10.4.11. In any case, no problems to report, and I have to say that at times, it's simply remarkable to be able to make fine edits to a vertical image with the display rotated. Now if we can just get Lightroom 2.0 to make use of two displays . . .

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
any thoughts on NEC 2190
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 01:00:04 pm »

After what seemed like way too much research I bought a 2190UXI referb. last month and am very happy with it. I have not used the spectraview software yet although I do plan to look into it. I've only compared it side by side to a new 20" ACD and it there is no comparison, the NEC is much smoother, better color, wider gamut. Both monitors were running on MBPs and calibrated with Monaco Optix DTP94. I bring it on location several times a week and it is well worth the extra weight.
This sight helped me make my decision:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/dis...monitors_3.html

Notice there are a couple versions of the 2190 using different panels.

thanks to Andrew Rodney for his valuable insight as well.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174670\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I followed the link to the article and then to Amazon and notice it doesn't mention Spectraview...would I have to purchase that separately from NEC if i wanted it?...

I see some of you are using different things to calibrate your NEC monitors...is the spectraview not that important when buying their monitors?...

thanks...

M

cbcbell

• cbcampbell.com
any thoughts on NEC 2190
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 01:17:15 pm »

I think what's important is having an integrated package of colorimeter and display calibration software that's flexible and gives satisfying results. I didn't want to purchase the Spectraview bundle because it only profiles NEC displays, and I have a number of displays to calibrate: my portable Mac, my wife's portable and office macs, my children's mac, etc.

I checked with tech support at NEC before purchasing, and they confirmed that their bundle only works on their displays. Something like ColorEyes Display, however, supports a number of colorimeters, and virtually any display, so that seemed to me to make a great deal more sense, especially given the fact that the NEC equivalent isn't any less expensive as I recall.

ecpny

any thoughts on NEC 2190
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 02:16:46 pm »

I think what's important is having an integrated package of colorimeter and display calibration software that's flexible and gives satisfying results. I didn't want to purchase the Spectraview bundle because it only profiles NEC displays, and I have a number of displays to calibrate: my portable Mac, my wife's portable and office macs, my children's mac, etc.

I checked with tech support at NEC before purchasing, and they confirmed that their bundle only works on their displays. Something like ColorEyes Display, however, supports a number of colorimeters, and virtually any display, so that seemed to me to make a great deal more sense, especially given the fact that the NEC equivalent isn't any less expensive as I recall.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176447\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i believe the spectraview package includes a standard greytag/xrite eye one display colorimeter along with the spectraview software.  so you can use the colorimeter and the eye one match software with other monitors.  someone else could confirm this but a friend of mine who purchased the 2690 w/spectraview got a standard eye one display in the box.

Jim Titschler

any thoughts on NEC 2190
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 02:30:34 pm »

i believe the spectraview package includes a standard greytag/xrite eye one display colorimeter along with the spectraview software.  so you can use the colorimeter and the eye one match software with other monitors.  someone else could confirm this but a friend of mine who purchased the 2690 w/spectraview got a standard eye one display in the box.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176459\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes that is correct.

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
any thoughts on NEC 2190
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 11:25:23 am »

I followed the link to the article and then to Amazon and notice it doesn't mention Spectraview...would I have to purchase that separately from NEC if i wanted it?...

NEC sells monitors both ways, with or without SpectraView.  If the one at amazon doesn't explicitly mention it, then it us almost certainly *without* SV.  However, you can order SV directly from NEC's web site (either the software+puck or just the software alone, if you already have the right variety of puck).

I did just that, ordered the NEC monitor from amazon and ordered SV from NEC.  I confirmed with an NEC customer service person that ordering them separately that way gives you exactly what you would have if you buy the combined monitor/SV version.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
any thoughts on NEC 2190
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 12:00:13 pm »

NEC sells monitors both ways, with or without SpectraView.  If the one at amazon doesn't explicitly mention it, then it us almost certainly *without* SV.  However, you can order SV directly from NEC's web site (either the software+puck or just the software alone, if you already have the right variety of puck).

I did just that, ordered the NEC monitor from amazon and ordered SV from NEC.  I confirmed with an NEC customer service person that ordering them separately that way gives you exactly what you would have if you buy the combined monitor/SV version.

Lisa
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176658\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Lisa, thanks for this info...I'm not really sure what to buy...I've never used calibration software or hardware...using a Sony G500 monitor the last eight years and its color was very accurate with the results I got from 4/5 color printing presses...just did a gamma adjust via the supplied software, apple I think...all work in photoshop set to webpress output, etc...

but now I'm doing more, much more photography work and have started some research...BasicColor, the pantone puck, a little daunting...i'm still reading on all this but in about a month i'll need to make a decision about which way to go with this, the monitor, the calibration software, etc...

oh, and thanks too to Jim, ecpny, and cbcbell...

M
Pages: [1]   Go Up