Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tips for traveling to Haiti  (Read 7216 times)

n1r0t

Tips for traveling to Haiti
« on: February 13, 2008, 02:40:36 pm »

Hi all~

I'm going to Haiti in June as part of a team that's going to distribute glasses. This will be my first international trip with my gear. I'm planning on taking my 20D and two lenses (70-200mm and 24-105mm) plus a 1.4xTC. I've got a Slingshot300 right now but am thinking of purchasing another bag (since I find the slingshot uncomfortable for extended periods) so suggestions would be most welcome.

I'm planning on taking the camera as a carry-on. Does anyone know if there are prohibitions against monopods or tripods as carry-ons? Not planning on doing that, but it'd be nice to know in case...

Any other accessories I shouldn't take in my carry-on?

I'll mostly be in a group of between 10-20 people so I'm not terribly worried about being mugged. However, I would certainly appreciate suggestions on how to maintain as low a profile as possible.

I'm sure I'm overlooking a lot, so please feel free to let me benefit from your combined experience! =D

Thanks!
~Torin

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 03:44:17 pm »

Watch out for Zombies.

And I would call the airline(s) you plan on using to see what the prohibitions are.  If I see someone boarding a plane with a truncheon in the form of a monopod and ball head I'm sitting near the exit.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 03:48:02 pm by DarkPenguin »

n1r0t

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 11:26:24 pm »

Watch out for Zombies.

I appreciate those words of wisdom. I'll take my zombie detector! =D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 11:26:40 pm by n1r0t »

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 01:17:22 am »

There was something in Pop Photo a couple months back about the restrictions involved in taking tripods and monopods aboard commercial aircraft. Apparently, the official policy (in the US at least) is that pods made of carbon, or anything non-metallic, are ok. Metal ones are harder to screen for weapons via X-ray, and are therefore still prohibited. Now whether or not the local security guys at any given airport understand that policy completely may be an open question.

You don't appear to have any lens that goes very wide. I think I'd want something much wider for interiors and such. Why not go buy a new 18-55 EF-s IS? It goes much wider than the 24-105, is very sharp even wide open, and is extremely inexpensive. Being so much smaller than your good lenses, it would be far easier to conceal, and would draw a lot less attention. IS couldn't hurt either. And if it didn't work out, you won't have wasted very much money.

My mother ended up with my 20D and some of my older lenses. She just got back from a similar trip to Laos, where she was doing reconstructive surgery. I told her to take whatever lenses she wanted, but to just leave the 18-55 on as much as possible. I figured the last thing she needed in those conditions was a sensor full of dust, and the 18-55 covered a lot of the work she needed to do, especially with patients. She was also worried about theft, and an old 20D with an 18-55 would be a lot easier to replace than any L lens. Apparently, that strategy worked pretty well for her, and she only needed to get out the big glass a couple of times.

n1r0t

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 07:52:19 am »

You don't appear to have any lens that goes very wide. I think I'd want something much wider for interiors and such. Why not go buy a new 18-55 EF-s IS? It goes much wider than the 24-105, is very sharp even wide open, and is extremely inexpensive.

I also have a 17-85mm EF-S lens that came with my 20D. After using the L glass, I definitely find the sharpness to be lacking. I'll probably throw it in the bag in case I want some WA shots. Thanks for the headsup on the monopod. That's what I figured. Mine's aluminum so it'll be going with the luggage...

DarkPenguin

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 09:54:02 am »

Not a fan of the 17-85 below 24mm.  Although, I do use it below that point when on vacation.

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 10:18:53 am »

I also have a 17-85mm EF-S lens that came with my 20D. After using the L glass, I definitely find the sharpness to be lacking. I'll probably throw it in the bag in case I want some WA shots. Thanks for the headsup on the monopod. That's what I figured. Mine's aluminum so it'll be going with the luggage...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174808\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My understanding is that the new 18-55 is actually substantially sharper than the 17-85, although it has no ring USM, a rotating front element, and less range. I wouldn't want to depend on it for my best work of course, but I believe it would be a good option in travel situation. It would have to be a really good beater lens.

In the film days, I always carried a Rolleicord into the really rugged places, in addition to whatever 35mm SLR I was using. My reasoning was that the Rollei would always work, no matter where I was. I figured if it got stolen or broken, I was only out the $75 I paid for it. In the years I owned it, it never let me down once, never needed a battery, and produced some great pictures. Not sure what the digital equivalent would be today.

lightstand

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 12:48:57 pm »

I am also curious about traveling to a small island country. Any advice on researching what I will need to have in regards to charging batteries? thanks jeff

n1r0t

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 11:13:14 am »

From what I've found, the recommendation is to check the monopod/tripod but carry-on the head. The majority of the time, the tripods are permitted, but it's at the discretion of the security screener. No prohibition in the TSA list unless it's considered a tool over 7".

I was encouraged to print out a copy of the relevant TSA camera/photography guidelines. For quick reference and for use at security checkpoints if necessary.

I'm considering the 18-55mm EF-S lens. Just not sure I want another EF-S lens... I was planning on using the 24-105 as the main lens.

Had recommendations for getting a beanbag as well. Portable and useful for stabilizing the camera in a variety of situations.

Can anyone add anything else?

DarkPenguin

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 12:16:21 pm »

If you're going to get the 18-55 EF-S get the 18-55 EF-S IS version.  Much better optic.

n1r0t

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 03:31:25 pm »

If you're going to get the 18-55 EF-S get the 18-55 EF-S IS version.  Much better optic.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=175701\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry... should have been more clear... All the lenses I own or plan to own have IS. =D They've been way too useful to go anything but the IS route.
Pages: [1]   Go Up